• September 22, 2024, 10:28:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New 2022 Fx with strange noise?  (Read 365 times)

Jyyym

• View Profile
New 2022 Fx with strange noise?
« on: November 07, 2023, 01:56:46 AM »

Hello everyone!

I’ve been riding ICE motorcycles for 23 years and just took the plunge and bought an 2022 7.2 FX. I love the thing so far! I am a bit worried about a noise I can hear at low speeds, I have sent a clip to the dealer but it is a super small dealer and a bit clueless, the only one in the country… with that in mind, here is the link to a 15 second clip where the noise is pretty obvious, should I be worried??

https://youtube.com/shorts/w2HmlJMW3hY?si=A5OwaUQ5HvLkH7ld

Thanks so much!

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: New 2022 Fx with strange noise?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 02:28:30 AM »

Sounds like something is rubbing. The first question is does it happen with the bike turned off? If so then it's mechanical, unlike the white noise kind of sound you hear which is part of how the motor keeps track of its position. The next thing to try would be sliding the rear wheel forward so you can remove the belt, then you can spin the wheel and the motor separately and determine which is the source of the noise. If the noise goes away then your belt was rubbing somewhere.

Jyyym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 02:50:01 AM »

Thanks for the response, I did try both suggestions earlier today, I’m almost certain that it can be heard on both situations, when off and pushing it is a bit difficult to detect but I do think it is there, same without the belt, it is not as loud, I guess since there is no load on it. By the way, there is no wiggle or play on the front sprocket/pulley. The belt is centered on both sides and the tension is 65hz.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 03:43:01 AM »

.. The belt is centered on both sides ...

On my SR/F while adjusting wheels alignment to (try to) fix countersteering, I reached the limit where the belt would begin to grind against the wall of the rear pulley and it made that kind of noise. For the procedure I had the rear lifted up and I was manually turning the rear wheel doing several full rounds, the belt needs to remain centered after that.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

Jyyym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 04:18:45 AM »

Thanks Zelidar, unfortunately I don’t think that is the case with my FX since I can (kinda) hear it without the belt and this morning when I readjusted the belt I made sure that it was completely centered on the back pulley, front one seems a bit on the inner side but doesn’t seem to be riding the edge or anything like that.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 06:46:18 AM »

That's good that you can hear it without the belt on, that rules out it being something like bad motor bearings. It could be the rear wheel bearings, that would make some sense with it getting quieter without the load of the belt. It could also be that you're going slower pushing it, do you have a stand to get the rear wheel off the ground? That way you should be able to spin it fairly quickly by hand. It'll also make it easier to see if it's anything like the tyre or brake rotor rubbing.

Jyyym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 07:21:58 AM »

That's good that you can hear it without the belt on, that rules out it being something like bad motor bearings.

Really? Isn’t it the other way around? I would have thought that it COULD be the motor bearings since I can hear it regardless of the belt being  on or off…

I did use a stand when testing that but did not think of spinning the wheel by hand while on it… I just spun the motor with the throttle with and without the belt on, both times almost sure the noise was there. I say almost because it did seem a tad different, probable because little to no load because of the stand. I’ll try spinning the rear wheel without the belt on tomorrow.

Thanks!!

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 09:13:19 AM »

Oh, I thought you meant you heard the noise when pushing the bike which of course wouldn't be turning the motor with the belt off. In that case unfortunately it is something up with your motor. I haven't heard a motor with bad bearings but that's not the sort of sound I would expect. That I would think would sound like a constant grinding or groaning sound, not a rhythmic ticking.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 12:31:31 PM »

Two months ago, I also had a noise issue. It turns out it was caused by the motor sprocket that has gotten loose on the motor shaft. It was replaced and the mechanic used an extra washer which wasn't there originally. That noise is gone.

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12783.msg121631#msg121631
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

Jyyym

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 10:39:45 PM »

Interesting… I went through your post, it could be that. Would you say the noise you heard back then was similar to the one in my video clip?
Pages: [1]