• July 08, 2024, 12:55:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Regen Question  (Read 3617 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Regen Question
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2024, 10:37:26 PM »

That sounds like it'd actually be a lot of fun, but you better be careful, way easy to get into a bad situation.  The run up it though, that's a battery eater!  I should probably try the Dames Point again one sunday morning to see what I can do with it, see if i can get any decent self maintaining on the throttle.  Unfortunately, often times, the wind coming across that bridge,  oof,  NOT fun.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2024, 11:30:24 AM »

jojotide when your SOC is 95 and above, your regen is neutered a bit, as there is not a lot of space to put it in the battery, so it may not work at all or just very lightly.  Your regen light should actually be flashing on your dash to indicate that your regen is in a less than ideal mode.

As for just whacking the throttle off and just using the regen paddle as a controlling brake, well, yes thats an option too.  However holding the throttle where you want it at, will do the same thing, or setting your cruise control to that speed, if the bike starts speeding up, it'll automatically take the regen to bring it back in speed specs.   Out of curiosity, how much of a grade are you on to have the bike be able to actually maintain or keep speed on it's own without any power input?  Ive hit a 3.5 degree grade before on a bridge and it still slowed a bit on it's own. 

Confirming all that (yellow regen flashing in display above 95 % SoC) I still cannot say that I feel lots of difference. But that might be because I usually am fresh on the bike after charging to 100 % and usually then I am taking a road with a weeny bit of slope. I have no measured numbers, it's just a feeling... Just wanted to know if anyone noticed the same. At least it's not a OMG NO REGEN feeling  :)

With regen at lowest setting I can go down a 10 % slope (at least that is the roadsign saying) at 50 kph with throttle totally closed.

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2024, 10:55:22 PM »

that's kind of funny weck, I did that a few times taking it out after a full charge and it's at 100 percent.  Another time I got a bit of a startle was after running the race bike for 4 days straight, I got used to that and the stupid insane brakes on that, where you just gently bring them on and you stop NOW!  Then I get on the road bike and im stopping and it's like oh what the hell?  stop STOP !!  oh, this is the Ribelle, you gotta pull the brakes hard here :)   This is also one of the reasons I want to try to make the street and race bike as similar as possible so there are not these differences when I hope between them.  Besides, nothing wrong with having strong brakes anywhere,  it's the weaker ones that make you get grey hair!

Aaron

Odd thing, on the Experia anyway, is that the regen does not seem to be decreased al all when you charge to 100%.  I've had a couple times where I think I got may have got over 100, or at least it took a good 4-5 miles for the SOC to drop to 99%.  Even then, had max regen available from the end of the driveway.  Wonder if it's because the pack has over a KW of headspace in it rated vs usable?

(I only charge to 100% the recommended once a month and make sure I have a log ride planned within a couple of hours of topping it off)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2024, 12:10:25 AM »

Odd thing, on the Experia anyway, is that the regen does not seem to be decreased al all when you charge to 100%.  I've had a couple times where I think I got may have got over 100, or at least it took a good 4-5 miles for the SOC to drop to 99%.  Even then, had max regen available from the end of the driveway.  Wonder if it's because the pack has over a KW of headspace in it rated vs usable?

(I only charge to 100% the recommended once a month and make sure I have a log ride planned within a couple of hours of topping it off)
"Seem" is correct.  Look at your regen bar. You will see NO Regen at all when charged to 100% until your down a % or two. But the feel is exactly the same.

I have no idea how that works, where that juice is going--perhaps a big dummy load resistor of some type?   But it is NOT being used to charge the battery until you get down a % or two.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2024, 12:01:12 PM »

SOLVED (at least for me):     No regen means no regen

Instead of guessing more, I took the opportunity of a fully charged bike and a slope near my home to test.
As mentioned above, there is a difference between the speeds you reach downhill with throttle closed with regen on or off (lightest setting). It is not eye popping but measurable.

Interestingly, the power bar in the display (green bar going to the right if power is spent, blue bar to the left while regen) went blue all the way to the left even though there was actually no regen.
Makes no sense. Probably something very low on Energica's to-do-list...

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2024, 03:25:35 AM »

SOLVED (at least for me):     No regen means no regen

Instead of guessing more, I took the opportunity of a fully charged bike and a slope near my home to test.
As mentioned above, there is a difference between the speeds you reach downhill with throttle closed with regen on or off (lightest setting). It is not eye popping but measurable.

Interestingly, the power bar in the display (green bar going to the right if power is spent, blue bar to the left while regen) went blue all the way to the left even though there was actually no regen.
Makes no sense. Probably something very low on Energica's to-do-list...

Re-gen doesn't work if the battery is fully charged, it's hard to recharge the battery when already full.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2024, 07:06:44 AM »

I think the regen power bar pretty much scales to the mode it's either put in by you, or forced in due to external circumstances, ie a high battery, rough terrain etc forced it to a lower setting.

So lets say level 1 is 5  kw max regen   Lv 4 is 30 kw max.

even though you may have set it to 4, the battery is high, or it auto scaled down and is temporarily at lv 1,  and you are putting 5 kw into the battery. You may not see it but you sure can feel it's only 5 ie mild regen vs 30 half your BW bring pushed to the windshield.  now what YOU have it set at, 4, that 5kw that's only like 20 percent of the full scale which is what you expect to see, given YOU put it on Lv 4, but where it currently is set at  (temporary 1),  that's full scale, so it shows that.

I wouldn't worry too much about that little part of it.

Aaron

toothless

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2024, 10:22:52 AM »

I leave mine on max all the time, I keep hearing it's more efficient to turn it off for cruising but you can just hold the throttle neutral and if that's annoying to you then just give your handlebars the reacharound so you can cruisecontrol it. I just don't understand what scenario you would possibly want *less* regen.

Tbh, I want a clutch, so I can do clutch wheelies and other fun activities. J/k

But seriously, having to reach over for cruise control sucks, rewiring it is a good second. I do want to treat it like a clutch and be able to let go of my right hand quickly without slowing down, reaching over for cc, or going into settings.

A regen lever also adds more regen granularity without having to sacrifice throttle granularity. Plus its not unintuitive, and is really not complicated.

I'll probably put a rear brake on my left handlebar for fun though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 10:27:57 AM by toothless »

toothless

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2024, 10:45:14 AM »

Actually, I think the Ribelle is the easiest bike I've ever had to pick up, including my old 125.

I want to know how. I have an easy time picking up other bikes, but not the ribelle. how heavy must your 125 be to compare to the ribelle.

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2024, 03:05:27 PM »

Could be that Stonewolf is 6'6" and built like a brick privy...

Cas :)

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2024, 05:46:40 PM »

I definitely am not lol. The Ribelle's weight distribution makes it much easier, the mass is closer to the pivot (the wheels) and your lift is much further out which means you have much better leverage than it does. My 125 wasn't exactly heavy by general standards but a Varadero is heavy by 125 standards and tall with the mass further out from the pivot as a result (also 20 years ago my lift technique probably wasn't the best).
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2024, 04:30:28 PM »

When lifting up a dropped Energica, do you rely on the Bullet brake, or do you take additional measures, like clamping the brake lever with a tool or a rubber band, to ensure the bike doesn't roll away? It hasn't happened to me yet, but I wonder just in case.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2024, 06:49:05 PM »

It hasn't been necessary but I do keep a little velcro strap on the bar for holding the front brake when parking on inclines so if I felt I needed to I'd use that.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2024, 01:07:54 AM »

Ah, velcro is a good idea. Since my Bullet Brake v1 broke during use, I often carry a Brakefix tool, although the BB v2 has worked well so far. However, it attracts a bit too much attention when fixing the bike on an incline and might tempt someone to fiddle with it. The Velcro will be much less noticeable and certainly won't get stolen.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2024, 02:33:12 PM »

I use this thingie. Cost only a few bucks at Aliexpress. Ordered several ones as a gift for my bike buddies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5