• October 06, 2024, 11:30:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Regen Question  (Read 4213 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Regen Question
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 01:53:43 AM »

There isn’t in my Zero. I love the regen on my Tesla, which is very linear and also reacts very slowly. It’s easy to control it precisely. The Zero is a pain in the ass.
Interesting, as I cannot stand the way Regen works on my 2018 Tesla M3 after seeing the way it works on my 2022 Chevy Bolt.

With the Chevy Bolt I can adjust the regen as I drive with the level on the Steering wheel. Makes the car fun to drive. I rarely touch the brake pedal.

The Chevy Bolt has progressive regen with the brake pedal. The harder it is pressed, the more regen. I think the brake pads are only there for when fully charged as then there is no regen.

The KW shows right on the screen at all times during any type of regen.

Tesla only has deceleration regen.  Adds nothing with the brake pedal. No steering wheel regen control. Does not show on the screen as KW.

IMO, regen should always be added with the brake pedal. You want to stop then anyway. Zero has this. So does the Chevy Bolt. Tesla and Energica does not.

-Don-   Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 05:17:56 AM »

The Tesla does have an energy display, and it's vastly more detailed than the Bolt's.  I never want to have to use the brake pedal at all.  I want full regen to happen when the pedal is released.  This is what the Tesla does and you see it on the display.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 07:47:17 AM »

If it's applied properly, Regen in theory should be able to stop the car just as fast as regular brakes,  they can dyna brake that motor into rotor lock if they want to, but of course ABS would not let that happen.  yes it would save a lot of wear and tear on the brakes, and maybe use them only for as said, when there is nowhere to put the regenerated power, or in an absolute standing on the brake pedal emergency stop.

I like the regen on the throttle on a bike, that is the best place IMO so you can control how little or how much with just a slight twist of the throttle, and not have to play with the brakes too.  Because think about it, if you are letting the throttle completely off, you are getting ready to stop right? So why not have the throttle give you a variable input to the braking.

Another point, when you apply the brakes on a car, they ALL engage ALL the time, on a motorcycle, YOU decide which one you want to apply, rear, front, or both, so the logic that drives a cars brakes won't necessarily work on a bike, hence putting it on the brake pedal, ok WHICH brake pedal?

Less inputs to have to juggle.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2023, 09:01:17 AM »

The Tesla does have an energy display, and it's vastly more detailed than the Bolt's.  I never want to have to use the brake pedal at all.  I want full regen to happen when the pedal is released.  This is what the Tesla does and you see it on the display.
Where to you see the real time KW used and gained on the Tesla screen? On the Bolt, I do NOT have to look for it. It is always on the display. But I could not find it at all on my 2018 Tesla M3 even when I did look for it. But I can find KWH used per trip and stuff like that, which both cars have.

I also almost never use the brake pedal.  Both cars have "one pedal driving".

I realize it's a personal preference, but I normally prefer light deceleration regen but heavy as needed as I drive or need to stop.  I can do this as I drive the Bolt, but not the Tesla.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 01:43:47 AM »

It'd be too expensive to be practical but, wouldn't it be interesting if you could put some motors on a regular ICE car's axles, with some batteries, wouldn't need super beefcakes of either, but, just have that kick in high every time you brake, to slowly charge the battery with every stop.  When you get home, plug in and put into your house or sell back to grid.   Otherwise it's just wasted energy.  Or maybe a train, have a few cars with a big motor on the axle, and a 40 kw/hr battery, just to throw out a number, and every time it stops, it just grinds that down into charging the battery, when you pull in, plug in and free power.

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 01:52:53 AM »

So...a hybrid?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 02:04:36 AM »

Well, I guess you sort of could call it a Hybrid, although the electric part is really not doing any propulsion.  How about a waste energy capture system.  The inertia would just be converted to heat otherwise.

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 02:19:12 AM »

I realize it's a personal preference, but I normally prefer light deceleration regen but heavy as needed as I drive or need to stop.  I can do this as I drive the Bolt, but not the Tesla.

Which makes it not one pedal, and unintiutive.  The regen and acceleration should follow one curve on the one pedal, from go to stop.

I don't know how to guide you on the steps to display energy in the Tesla, it's in that app tray that was added a couple years ago.  Before that it was hidden in a menu.  I find it totally useless unless I'm actively managing power.  When I towed the Zero home, I was using it to manage consumption with a trailer.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 05:36:33 AM »

Which makes it not one pedal, and unintiutive.  The regen and acceleration should follow one curve on the one pedal, from go to stop.
Nope. It is still one pedal driving without using the regen lever, it simply gives me better control over the stopping distance as needed.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 09:47:02 PM »

You either get 100% regen with one pedal, or you do not.  It's that simple.  I've driven the Bolt in both modes, you cannot have full regen on one pedal, plus more on the other.  It's one or the other.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 11:06:14 PM »

You either get 100% regen with one pedal, or you do not.  It's that simple.  I've driven the Bolt in both modes, you cannot have full regen on one pedal, plus more on the other.  It's one or the other.
Which year Bolt?  On my 2022 it is progressive regen with the brake pedal. The harder I brake, the more KW in regen.

That is unlike my Zero motorcycles where the brake regen is the percentage it is set for whenever the brake light is activated.

I normally do not like a lot of deceleration regen. While I can lower it with the Tesla, I cannot change it for each stop as I drive, while I can with the Bolt.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2023, 11:13:32 PM »

Yes, exactly, the Bolt has progressive regen with the brake pedal.  That means you don't get 100% regen braking with a single pedal.  That's my point.  Two different styles.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2023, 11:54:10 PM »

Yes, exactly, the Bolt has progressive regen with the brake pedal.  That means you don't get 100% regen braking with a single pedal.  That's my point.  Two different styles.
You will if you press the brake pedal hard enough. But I rarely use the brake pedal at all. It too is set for "one pedal driving" which increases the low-speed deceleration regen. I find the Bolt a lot more fun to drive than my Tesla and I miss the way the regen works on the bolt when I do drive my Tesla. But the Tesla has a lot of good points too. They are both EVs, but they do not compare at all.

Tesla adds nothing at all with the brake pedal--same with Energica. But they both can have a lot of deceleration regen to the point where it makes little difference anyway. But I normally prefer the Bolt and Zero method of lighter deceleration regen until the brake is used. Most of my driving is on the freeway. I like the heavy deceleration regen only when in city traffic and going down steep curvy roads, such as the Mt. Rose Highway here near Reno.

IMO, perfect would be to increase declaration regen automatedly as speed is increased and to be able to adjust the ratio by how much wanted and also to automatically increase regen when going downhill. We already have the technology to do such, but I do not know of any EVs that can do such automatically.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2023, 03:42:30 AM »

You kind of do, it's called cruise control.  If you have it set at 60 MPH, it will add power to maintain that speed when needed, and if you are going down a steep enough hill that you can actually pick up speed, it should regen enough to also maintain that 60 mph.  Doing ANY kind of regen that slows you down to the point you have to add additional power to maintain your intended speed is a waste of energy.  Regen for pretty much all practical driving, is just to recover energy while you are intending to slow down, otherwise it's a slow burn.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2023, 06:03:40 AM »

Hello,

I plan on possibly making a regen lever for my Eva. In that case, the throttle signal will be run through a microcontroller first and be mixed with the regen lever, to create any output I want.
Even without the regen lever, it is of course possible to use a microcontroller in between the throttle and the bike to implement any mapping you want.

best regards
DerKrawallkeks

Yes it should work use a quadrilateral shift circuit followed by a flip/flop coupled to a Schmidt trigger on the output.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5