• July 08, 2024, 12:01:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Regen Question  (Read 3616 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Regen Question
« on: November 05, 2023, 07:20:18 AM »

Quick question about regen on the EVA Ribelle, (and id assume the other bikes as well)

I run my regen on high, I like it there, it gives a nice solid braking when needed.

You can kind of control the amount of regen being applied by how far you twist back your throttle.  Just letting a teeny off and you coast, a teeny bit more and you regena little, a teeny bit more and it's moderate, a lil more and it's hitting pretty hard, enough to pull you forward in the seat with a fair amount of force.

My question is, it seems the range of twist, in your throttle, to take regen from costing, to full regen is maybe like 10 percent of the throttle range.
Is there any way to open up the span a bit on the throttle twist, so it's maybe like 20 percent or so throttle span to finally hit full regen?  This would give you a little more resolution in the level of control you have on the regen to fine tune how much is applied.

I understand that there is no solid number for percent throttle twist to do this, as it all depends on your speed, throttle position to begin with bla bla, but is there a way to open up the 'available span' a bit more so it don't max out so early?  It's almost like the regen input is rooted or something, can it be made, more linear?  If that makes sense.

or IS there a setting and I missed it somewhere?

Thanks
Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
Re: Regen Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 08:06:25 AM »

There isn’t in my Zero. I love the regen on my Tesla, which is very linear and also reacts very slowly. It’s easy to control it precisely. The Zero is a pain in the ass.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 01:46:57 PM »

For me on my SS9+RS the medium regen profile works best. I also manage the amount of regen breaking power by the throttle position. With the high regen setting I find it harder to find a smooth line with the bike. With a wider "span" I may be using the high position, too.

Ideally, this span would be an additional parameter that can be set in the profile screen. Alternatively, the span could be increased generally in firmware. I wouldn't want it to be changed in the medium profile, only in the high one.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

DerKrawallkeks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 12:29:02 AM »

Hello,

I plan on possibly making a regen lever for my Eva. In that case, the throttle signal will be run through a microcontroller first and be mixed with the regen lever, to create any output I want.
Even without the regen lever, it is of course possible to use a microcontroller in between the throttle and the bike to implement any mapping you want.

best regards
DerKrawallkeks

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 12:32:22 AM »

Does that bike have a regen input in the controller?  I don't think the Zero does, but now I wonder.  I did program in a regen input on a custom e-bike with one of the generic Chinese controllers, which worked pretty well.  And then a couple weeks later, the magic smoke left the motor and it locked up.  Coincidence?  Dunno.

DerKrawallkeks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 03:59:12 AM »

Hey, the energica inverter is proprietary I think, so there's no way to add a Regen lever.

The Zero inverter is a Second off-the-shelf component, and you can quite easily connect a regen lever (I did it, and many others too).

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 05:35:08 AM »

Everything I can find is very old.  Is there reason to believe this also works on the current generation bikes?

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 09:32:23 AM »

Aaron,

I agree with you that to have some sort of modulation in the activation of the regen would be a good thing on my Experia.  I sometimes wish for a clutch lever at slow speeds!  What I mean by that is both a modulation of the throttle and regen in the instance of coming up to a stoplight.  It was (and still is) a learning experience when in that situation of having too much power or regen coming to a stop, even with riding the rear brake, etc etc, "traditional" ways of "looking proficient" coming to a stop.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 02:28:25 PM »

I agree with you that to have some sort of modulation in the activation of the regen would be a good thing on my Experia.

The regen on your Experia can be modulated based on throttle position. The closer the throttle is to being fully closed the higher the total regen will be. The max value of regen will depend on what regen map you have selected.
Applying a small amount of throttle, between fully closed and ~5% open will change the amount of regen. Once you get a feel for this it is also possible to coast, meaning the bike is neither accelerating or decelerating.

Ideally, this span would be an additional parameter that can be set in the profile screen. Alternatively, the span could be increased generally in firmware. I wouldn't want it to be changed in the medium profile, only in the high one.

I agree it would be helpful in some situations to be able to configure the "ramping" of the regen.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 03:26:38 AM »

commodore you Do have a bit of modulation on your regen.
That is the reason of my post, it's pretty finicky until you get the hang of it.
It don't take much at all to set it and the adjustment is rather 'strong'.
I was asking, can they open up the span on the adjustment a bit so it isn't so abrupt?

Get on the highway or somewhere where you won't annoy people too bad with the constant braking and practice with it.  Just a tiny roll off the throttle, you can kind of feel where it lets loose with the accel and will just coast, now a tiny bit more down and it'll regen a little, maybe drop you to whatever your speed would be at, with the throttle at that position.  Turn it a bit more and it will regen harder.  You don't have to turn much, it's touchy.

With a little practice you will get to where you can pretty much stop with just regen alone, only using the brakes in the last 2 or 3 feet for a solid stop and to hold the bike so it don't creep.  I like mine on high, Id probably say most wouldn't like it because it can be so abrupt and severe but once yu get used to it, it's pretty decent and does put a bit back into the battery.  Try with your regen in mid range you may appreciate it a bit better.  That seems milder, yet still has a definite presence.,

Another thing you can do to practice is get on a side road or something and jack it back and forth, turn your throttle ehh, what half an inch?? whatever it takes to bounce the bike between accel and deccel via regen, feeling the throttle as you bounce back and forth between the two zones,  without getting stupid on the accel, bump it a bit harder, a bit softer, FEEL how it feels on your hand and the amount of twist necessary to trigger it, to boost it, to REALLY set it in.  Taper it off, let it slide down a bit more as the bike slows, feel, get the tracking technique down,  Get that muscle memory training and before you know it, it'll almost be like second nature like shifting on an ICE bike.  You'll be gliding to a smooth stop without even thinking about it really.  At this point, you will realize, wow, I really LIKE this regen thing ! :D

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 04:44:06 AM »

I just have regen on max and sport mode all the time, took a while to get used to it but now I basicly ride on the throttle alone with friction brakes for when I need to shed speed a bit harder.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 05:44:16 AM »

I'll goto rain mode when its wet outside, otherwise sport mode all the time.
The rain is really helpful, sometimes you can gun it a bit too hard not even trying to when it's slick out and rm helps prevent you from doing something stupid, requiring help to  pick the bike back up :D

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »

Actually, I think the Ribelle is the easiest bike I've ever had to pick up, including my old 125.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 01:43:58 AM »

With all the hardware in my back, my neck, my rebuilt shoulder, tore ass up ankles,  etc etc.  yah I need help.  or better yet, maybe I should learn not to drop the thing !  :D

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2023, 12:04:42 AM »

Eh, everyone does it at some time, no shame
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5