• September 29, 2024, 04:58:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: updated Magic Dock Map  (Read 3509 times)

SwampNut

• View Profile
Re: updated Magic Dock Map
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 11:17:30 AM »

You seem to think that you could use a Tesla DC fast charger. I’m quite certain you cannot, and I can’t find any evidence that you can. The adaptor is not the issue.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »

You seem to think that you could use a Tesla DC fast charger. I’m quite certain you cannot, and I can’t find any evidence that you can. The adaptor is not the issue.
Did you see my reply number 13, with photo, where I used a Tesla Supercharger to charge my Experia in Placerville, CA on March 3?

-Don- Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 09:02:36 PM »

Yes.  Did you see the part where we're talking about bringing your own adapter to a random SC, not about the MagicDock chargers?

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 09:34:24 PM »

Swampnut, from my recollection.  The Supercharger stations, they have to see the car next to them, there is some sort of communication and identification, and that turns the station on to charge the car.  Otherwise, there is no other external turn on device that I am aware of.

The easiest way I think would be to have an app, which uses your phones bluetooth, wifi, etc etc. to talk to the station, or scan a barcode or something to turn it on for the non tesloids wanting to use the station.  One would still need the dongle thing, which IS available on E bay for those not too lazy to look, to convert from Tesla to CCS-1.   Even though there is not currently a use for them on superchargers, they CAN be used on other chargers that may have a tesla tap, but not a CCS1 on it.

Overall, the more chargers we can get, of any type, that can do CCS charging, the better it will be for all Energica users, as a fairly quick stop can top off another 100 miles of range in under an hour.  I did a run saturday, ran about 80 miles, they had a CCS in the location, was able to top it back off in what I could squeeze in about 50 minutes, which was plenty to let me run around town a bit, and get back home with still 23 percent to spare at highway speeds.

If you NEED to get somewhere fast, yah spending 40 minutes may seem like an eternity, but if you are doing a poker run, or something just running about, spending an hour here, hour there is no big deal really.  Grab a drink, take a bite to eat, stretch your legs, etc, you'll be back on the road before you know it.

Aaron

What? How can a Tesla to CCS adapter be used anywhere but a supercharger. Also, plenty of adapters exist but in the other direction, so Teslans can connect their shitboxes to CCS stations. I have a Chademo adapter as a backup in my Tesla in case I need to use an Electricity Murica station or something. Doesn't mean I can use it to plug a leaf in at a supercharger.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »

Between assumptions, general assholery, and apparently not reading the whole thread, this is a mess.

This is the best that I can find, and I am not claiming to be 100% sure, but can't find anything otherwise...

You can charge anything with DC input at a Tesla MagicDock.  But not a J1772 AC-only machine like my Zero.

You cannot use a Tesla female to CCS male adapter at any Supercharger in the US right now.

You can use a Tesla female to J male adapter on any of the Tesla destination chargers which are 240v and 19.2kWh, if the vehicle has onboard AC charging.

You cannot use a CCS to J adapter on EA and other DC only stations on a Zero or other AC only vehicle.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:48:04 PM by SwampNut »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 09:50:07 PM »

Yes.  Did you see the part where we're talking about bringing your own adapter to a random SC, not about the MagicDock chargers?
Did you see where I mentioned such is not yet available anywhere? It cannot work if it does not yet exist. And it's difficult to say if it ever will as if all the Tesla Superchargers have Magic Dock, there will be no need for it.

What is not clear is if the older Superchargers will be compatible with either. That requires Tesla to make additional modifications inside the supercharger. The new V4 Tesla Superchargers will be ready to go for CCS with Magic Dock.

V4 looks different, see here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 10:50:55 PM »

Between assumptions, general assholery, and apparently not reading the whole thread, this is a mess.

And this wasnt even caused by an AI Chatbot, lol.

@Swampnut, you're doing the lord's work here with that post.

Bravo sir, the lord's work!!
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 11:07:23 PM »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 11:13:19 PM »

You can charge anything with DC input at a Tesla MagicDock.  But not a J1772 AC-only machine like my Zero.
Who said you could? This is the Energica section, has nothing to do with Zeros which do not allow CCS at all.

And FWIW, Zero does have DC charging. I charge my 2017 Zero SR  as high as 7.9 KW with DC direct to the battery, using my Elcon chargers. In fact, all batteries require DC charging. The OBC puts out DC as do all Zero chargers.

FWIW, I find Zero's method the most reliable and useful charging of all, even if a little slower than CCS.  More AC charge stations popping up every day as more and more CCS chargers break and never get repaired. Plus the endless compatibility issues that J plugs do not have. 6.6 KW is fast enough to be useful on the road, unlike the 3KW on the Energicas. And most of the J-plugs are free to use or very cheap per KWH compared to CCS, which sometimes can cost even more than gasoline.

We just need more high-power AC charge stations and then the Zeros that can charge at 13.2 KWH will be best, IMO.

But perhaps the new FW for Energicas will at least solve many of the incompatibility problems of CCS. And to soon be able to charge from at least many Tesla Superchargers will be very helpful.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 11:40:09 PM »

I didn't realize you were here to win an argument, so carry on and have fun.  I'm just trying to add clarity and learn something if possible.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 12:01:32 AM »

I'm just trying to add clarity.
That has been exactly what I have been trying to do, but I will give up on that. Seems we are not communicating very well here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2023, 01:34:23 AM »

Then I don't know why you'd chastise me for mentioning the limitation with AC only vehicles like the Zero.  It's about clarity.  I'm an EVangelist and constantly find that most people are confused on this (and the entirety of charging "standards").

Also in case anyone isn't aware.  A CCS is a J-1772 plus DC pins.  So if you have a Tesla to CCS adapter, you can use a Tesla destination charger if your vehicle supports AC charging.  The DC pins are ignored.

The entire thing is confusing if you're not into EVs or knowledgeable about electricity.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2023, 01:59:05 AM »

Then I don't know why you'd chastise me for mentioning the limitation with AC only vehicles like the Zero.  It's about clarity.  I'm an EVangelist and constantly find that most people are confused on this (and the entirety of charging "standards").

Also in case anyone isn't aware.  A CCS is a J-1772 plus DC pins.  So if you have a Tesla to CCS adapter, you can use a Tesla destination charger if your vehicle supports AC charging.  The DC pins are ignored.

The entire thing is confusing if you're not into EVs or knowledgeable about electricity.
Where did you feel I did such?

And FWIW, I have been into electronics my entire life, both as hobby and profession. And BTW, CCS is a lot more complicated than just DC on those extra thick pins. It runs a program that causes all types of compatibility issues with some vehicles and takes a lot of things into consideration, such as make of vehicle, battery temperaure, charge rate, etc.

Have you ever used CCS?  It sounds like you have not. The first thing that happens is the initiation process for about 15 seconds before the charging even starts. With the old CCS Chargepoint FW in the CCS chargers, the initiation process would not end, so the charging would never start with Energicas.  Later, when l Chagepoint updated their FW, they now work the best off all.  On other makes of CCS chargers, I have had them work fine on my Energica  when the car after me would not charge at all.

CCS has been unreliable at best. The problem is that it needs to work on too many different types of EVs and there will probably always be the one that will not work with one charger make that will work on another. Or FW version.

I assume everybody in this forum who has used CCS has had at least some problems using it.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 03:51:11 AM »

I've used CCS and have a good understanding of the signaling on all of the chargers.  It's also totally irrelevant to this conversation for end users.  My only point is that buying the adaptor won't help you, and if Tesla decides to open it up, the adapters will be easily available.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 05:48:59 AM »

I've used CCS and have a good understanding of the signaling on all of the chargers.  It's also totally irrelevant to this conversation for end users.  My only point is that buying the adaptor won't help you, and if Tesla decides to open it up, the adapters will be easily available.
IMO, it's not yet clear if the adapter will be useful or not. It's not available yet anyway. But it depends on Tesla and what they decide to do, and they are not saying much about what they will be doing.

But my main concern is being able to use the Tesla Superchargers for CCS, not so much with what I need or do not need to do it.

While I do expect that all the V3 & V4 TSCs will have the Magic Dock, we have to guess what will happen with the V1 and V2 Tesla Superchargers. They cannot work with Magic Dock and I assume the same for the Tesla SC to CCS adapter. But if the older chargers are modified or totally replaced, they should also work sometime in the future.

Unfortunately, most of the locations I want to see Tesla SCs will NOT be compatible with Magic Dock as they are. Such as Lake Topaz, NV and Incline Village, NV. Those are the older Tesla SCs. But the one in Susanville, CA is V3 and should soon have Magic Dock and that is a very needed location. No CCS near there for many miles.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X