• September 29, 2024, 04:19:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Better DCFC coming to Energica?  (Read 2657 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Better DCFC coming to Energica?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2023, 11:48:32 PM »

Was it free of charge?  There was some odd wording in the most recent email from Energica that included something about "dealers hourly rate"... last thing I want to do is get into an argument around being charged for an update to "fix" their buggy firmware.
Yeah, that was the way I also felt about that email. I expect we are charged for their time to do the upgrade. But is it really an upgrade or really just a bug fix? Seems to me it should be considered a bug fix.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2023, 07:00:47 AM »

If you go in just to get your bike flashed, Id expect they'd probably charge you an hours labor, for the hours labor they use to do it.
If you go in to get other stuff done, I bet you should be able to talk your dealer into doing it no charge unless some shit goes bad, since you are there anyways for other stuff you are paying for, and they can just plug it in while the mechanic is doing your 30k maintenance, or fixing your brake pedal, or whatever else.

That would be the most logical way, however Id suggest you call and ASK your dealer first how they will handle it for you, and not just assume it will be one way or another.  In other words, an appointment is probably the best way, that way it's affirmed, and they are expecting you and know WHY all you are there.

Aaron

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2023, 11:09:58 PM »

If you go in just to get your bike flashed, Id expect they'd probably charge you an hours labor, for the hours labor they use to do it.
If you go in to get other stuff done, I bet you should be able to talk your dealer into doing it no charge unless some shit goes bad, since you are there anyways for other stuff you are paying for, and they can just plug it in while the mechanic is doing your 30k maintenance, or fixing your brake pedal, or whatever else.

That would be the most logical way, however Id suggest you call and ASK your dealer first how they will handle it for you, and not just assume it will be one way or another.  In other words, an appointment is probably the best way, that way it's affirmed, and they are expecting you and know WHY all you are there.

Aaron

When I last talked to my dealer, they said it has been taking hours to do the FW flash, so I'd need to drop the bike off.  Definitely don't want to be charged for however slow the process is.

that being said, I do have some documented faults with the bike (including the unidentified fault and loss of power), so I can likely get the flash done under warranty while they are diagnosing the logs for the other issues.  You would think FW updates would be covered for the warranty period however...

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2023, 11:35:06 PM »

I know, especially if it's fixing bugs or flaws.  Even asthetics or performance enhancers, if it's still under warranty, flash it for free.  It's part of the overall service id think.

Several hours?  Holy shit, that's not good, sounds like there is something going on that needs some babysitting.  Hopefully there are no major issues with the new flash.  TBH I have seen this with many complicated systems, shit has to install, then it has to think thru some crap, calculate through some other shit, figure out new numbers, reflash those, see what it shakes out, re calculate, and go through algo's that are just obnoxious just to get to a final output.  It's not just, throw this new software on, stuff has to be integrated.

GE was notorious for that as well..

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2023, 02:43:04 AM »

Definitely don't want to be charged for however slow the process is.
If they are not trying to give you the shaft, the charge should be for less than five minutes for a three-hour upload. They should have no need to be near the bike after it once starts to FW upload. They should be free to work  on somebody's bike else during that time. That is unless motorcycle mechanics became lawyers, who often charge many people at the same time.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2023, 03:30:24 AM »

NO shop is going to charge you 5 minutes.  If you are lucky you may find one that charges 15 minute intervals, to 30 minute intervals at the very minimum, but even them have an hour minimum  charge.

Lawyers, charge many people at the same time and charge those people many times for the same thing.  Let's throw in a few extra phone calls and e mails to pad the balance, I need a vacation next week.  Went thru a divorce and man did that scumbag try to raze me.  Kept track of all the calls, e mails etc and asked him, provide  proof of what you are charging me for, and NO im NOT paying you to do that, show proof or we are going to have a problem.   Oh look, a miracle, my bill went down by about 40 percent.

Aaron

svelectric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2023, 05:18:10 AM »

Mine was flashed while I waited.  No charge (although the paperwork initially had a charge of 1/2hr, I questioned it, in the end no charge.  It did not take hours.  Maybe 30 mins total? 

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2023, 11:16:35 AM »

Mine was flashed while I waited.  No charge (although the paperwork initially had a charge of 1/2hr, I questioned it, in the end no charge.  It did not take hours.  Maybe 30 mins total?
Does anybody know if this update is for all years of all models for Energicas?

-Don-  Cedar City, Utah
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2023, 08:27:44 PM »

If you guys really want to talk about improvements to DCFC could someone ride an Experia through a few cm of standing water and report back if you can still charge? I have to let the Ribelle sit an hour or so first when that happens.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2023, 01:39:14 AM »

Does anybody know if this update is for all years of all models for Energicas?
-Don-  Cedar City, Utah

I believe it covers "all" models...but I suspect it's primarily for changes to the Experia, the release notes seem to point that way at least.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2023, 07:11:44 AM »

If you guys really want to talk about improvements to DCFC could someone ride an Experia through a few cm of standing water and report back if you can still charge? I have to let the Ribelle sit an hour or so first when that happens.

I have never had a problem with riding thru standing water stonewolf.  Florida we get caught in the rain like it or not and there are a lot of standing water bodies out here.  I hit one 'puddle' more like a fucking lake under the viaduct at about 35 mph and it was probably 2 to 3 inches deep.  Talk about a come to jesus moment.  About 5 minutes later was home and in the garage and the bike started charge just fine.  FWIW my back was soaked from the water slinging so im sure all the good parts of the bike got wet too.  Ive also had the bike out in the rain when it was parked here and there, and rode home in the crap (slowly though, probably never exceeding 40 mph or so) and never a charge issue.

what is the error it is giving you?
when you lift the seat is the charging stuff right u nder the seat still dry?

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2023, 03:21:03 AM »

I'm talking more riding through a flooded section of road. I had a problem a few weeks back where I had planned a weekend away and it ended up being torrential rain the whole time, I got soaked, bike got soaked, had to ride through a flooded road and it put spray up everywhere. Underseat was all dry, nothing visually amiss but the bike errored whenever I tried to plug it in (couldn't get a read on the error though, no on-screen message, just the triangle that goes away once you cycle power). Left it an hour (still pissing rain) and then it was magicly fine.

I've gotten the bike wet plenty before (getting rained out has been a theme this year  >:( ) but water getting up somewhere it's not meant to be is the only thing that made sense for that particular problem.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2023, 07:53:54 AM »

*shrug* This was a very wet day for me. No issues.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2023, 07:58:18 AM »

I'm talking more riding through a flooded section of road. I had a problem a few weeks back where I had planned a weekend away and it ended up being torrential rain the whole time, I got soaked, bike got soaked, had to ride through a flooded road and it put spray up everywhere. Underseat was all dry, nothing visually amiss but the bike errored whenever I tried to plug it in (couldn't get a read on the error though, no on-screen message, just the triangle that goes away once you cycle power). Left it an hour (still pissing rain) and then it was magicly fine.

I've gotten the bike wet plenty before (getting rained out has been a theme this year  >:( ) but water getting up somewhere it's not meant to be is the only thing that made sense for that particular problem.
I got caught in a hailstorm in Truckee, CA when riding my Experia.  While I have not had any charging problems other than the usual issues, after that was when I started getting intermittent "undefined fault" when in reverse. I cannot say for sure if it's related. But I have intermittently had this issue since then, even when the bike is very dry.

-Don- Flagstaff, AZ (RV trip with Zero DS)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2023, 05:09:25 PM »

Without being able to see your bike, Id say your fault probably had something to do with voltage leakage to chassis or something similar.  If you sprayed water UP into things, yah, something got dumped in and it was not happy.  Possibly the charger, if water got on one of the high legs and was seeping to the case, it'd throw that Im betting.

A can of air, or a blow dryer to GENTLY blow out / dry out stuff might help a lot.
Gently means 15 to 20 psi air not 80 to 100 !!  :D
Get a vaccuum that is not full of dusty shit and turn it on to blow any pooftie out of it, then put the hose on the blow side, and you can use that to help dry stuff out.  a LOT of air that is not too high pressure and it heats it up a bit too from the motor so it can really help dry things when you got in a mess.

I would do this at the power plant from time to time when stuff got damp that should not have.

Aaron
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4