• September 29, 2024, 04:25:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Better DCFC coming to Energica?  (Read 2658 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Better DCFC coming to Energica?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 11:35:44 AM »

Yes that is why the email was sent out.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2023, 02:26:43 AM »

Of course there's a chance.
Yeah, and in either direction. But it's worth a try.

I wonder if the new FW is already available at the USA Energica dealers. Perhaps I will go ask sometime this week.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

It's available here in Aus...my dealer contacted all the Aussie owners early last week via email. They even sent me a copy of the "release notes" showing what's new/changed etc.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2023, 08:30:41 AM »

It's available here in Aus...my dealer contacted all the Aussie owners early last week via email. They even sent me a copy of the "release notes" showing what's new/changed etc.

Smithy.
Is this update also for my 2020 Esse Esse 9- ?

How long does the new FW update take?  Any chance I can wait while they are doing it, or will I need an appointment?

Anyway, in a few days I will go visit my local Energica dealer.

Here in Auburn, I only have my 2020 SS9- right now. My Experia is in Reno, so I will have to ride it back here to get the update.

I came here yesterday on my DSR/X. I really should have taken the Experia.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2023, 09:30:05 AM »

It's *always* good practice to schedule ahead/make an appointment. There is no downside.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »

It's *always* good practice to schedule ahead/make an appointment. There is no downside.
The downside is it requires a ride there and back from somebody besides myself.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2023, 10:29:59 AM »

no that's what scheduling means. You time it so you go there when you were planning to go there for something else and kill two birds with one stone.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 11:49:08 AM »

Anyone knows how long the service time for the update takes on an Experia? Not sure if the update can be done via OBD2 but I assume not. So the fairing has to come off to even have access to the ECU (well that takes 15mins max off an on again).
And flashing the Firmware update?
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2023, 01:13:37 PM »

Anyone knows how long the service time for the update takes on an Experia? Not sure if the update can be done via OBD2 but I assume not?
I would assume the opposite, but I really do not know.

FW updates are expected. They are not going to make doing such overly complex.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2023, 01:57:22 AM »

Anyone knows how long the service time for the update takes on an Experia? Not sure if the update can be done via OBD2 but I assume not. So the fairing has to come off to even have access to the ECU (well that takes 15mins max off an on again).
And flashing the Firmware update?

When I had the XXX.42 Experia update done a few months ago, it took just short of an hour to complete...and was done on a laptop via the OBD-II port. The XXX.43 update looks to have a lot of changes and possibly more complex but that doesn't mean it will take longer....it's just a big bunch of zeros and ones.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2023, 06:22:51 AM »

The bike shop is NOT going to be in any sort of rush to get it done.  Especially if they are being paid by the hour to do it.

I think I might wait a few months, hear what others have to say, before I get mine flashed.  That way if there are any major waah boo hoo's about it, I can wait for the fix /next one.  TBH I kind of like what I got now and don't really see any urgent need to get updated.  Even charging it's nice and sweet that I have seen so far.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2023, 12:18:35 PM »

Aaron, I agree. Went to my dealer last week for the 30k service and he offered me to update to FW43 which I declined having the dissapointing FW42 update in mind.
He told me, another feature of the new FW is a warning note if you accidentially stay on the footbrake for longer than a minute or so. Nice to have but not worth the risk.

If ain't broke, don't fix.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2023, 09:36:22 PM »

I think it'd be problematic to push the charge rate higher tbh, the thermal management just isn't there and isn't going to be with current battery tech unless you want to make a big range sacrifice. I actually leave mine on 65A unless I know it's a one-charge day.

I can confirm that charging the battery heats it up a lot. I've done some hefty days on mine and I generally assume that after the first charge things are going to just get progressively slower. There are various factors that affect it but generally speaking with the Ego platform big battery once the heat is in it takes some time to get out again, the small battery is better (but gets less dissipation time) and I have no idea how the Experia fares given it has a newer purpose designed battery.

Usually the battery will go yellow either near the end of the first charge (if I'm unlucky/ate my reserve) or sometime during the second but once it's yellow it'll slow down half way through every subsequent charge until eventually it's yellow when you get there. I found red is actually really hard to achieve but maybe your climate/riding habits might differ. Stopping for an extended period while not charging does help if the bike isn't stuck out on a sun-baked parking lot. Anecdotally riding in cold weather can actually improve charging performance in my experience.

The worst for me was when I flubbed my trip plan home from Berlin and ended up on an autobahn haul all the way to Oberhausen, 55 minute estimates from 20ish to 80 at the *start* of the charge. That was only 550km or so, I've done that in miles on other trips and had much less problematic charging because the type of riding was difficult.

Fun fact, my VFR also overheated really very badly on the home run from Berlin so I guess we'll call it evens between BEV and ICE.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

svelectric

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2023, 11:56:43 PM »

I had the 43 version installed on my experia Friday.  No issues so far.  Improvements seen were the ability to adjust the heated grip level, on the fly.  The cruise control adjustment screen (while underway) was updated.  You can see the version in the diagnostic screen now.  Haven't tried a dcfc but hopefully will get a chance before winter. 

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2023, 07:44:53 AM »

I have yet to push my battery into the red, even when WOT for about 10 straight miles, pulled over, motor and inverter were nice and toasty but battery not so bad, was yellow though.  Charged it back up and even then, never really felt the battery get really hot.  That was the only time TBH the motor got hot enough that you probably didn't want to touch it.  As far as performance, it met it's top speed, maybe a bit less ballsy getting to it but she ran fine.  I never really seen any major performance declines unless my charge went below 20 percent, then it essentially put itself into rain mode. otherwise, even between 20 to 40 percent, she still took off like a scalded cat when you hit the throttle.

The only real overheating that I DO see is the stupid eyeball gets burn the shit out of your hand hot when left in the sun and charging.  The problem is the plastic they used on it, it converts the sunlight into longwave radiation, ie HEAT and then traps it under there, which I can not see being any kind of good for the electronics under the cover.  Maybe a small fan under there?  something would help.

Aaron

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2023, 11:43:33 PM »

I had the 43 version installed on my experia Friday.  No issues so far.  Improvements seen were the ability to adjust the heated grip level, on the fly.  The cruise control adjustment screen (while underway) was updated.  You can see the version in the diagnostic screen now.  Haven't tried a dcfc but hopefully will get a chance before winter.

Was it free of charge?  There was some odd wording in the most recent email from Energica that included something about "dealers hourly rate"... last thing I want to do is get into an argument around being charged for an update to "fix" their buggy firmware.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4