• September 30, 2024, 06:39:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windshield noise and corrections  (Read 1121 times)

Commodore

• View Profile
Windshield noise and corrections
« on: October 04, 2023, 08:30:56 PM »

An irritant for me has been the amount of wind noise generated by the Experia windshield, unlike any of my other motorcycles.  It's very obvious, and totally eliminated when I stand on the pegs.  After doing some research, I cut my windshield down by a couple of inches.  An improvement, but it has not eliminated all of the noise.  Now, I only have to rise out of the seat a small amount to be in clean, quiet air.

After experimenting with radii and masking the windshield and foot of the jigsaw, I used a Bosch T101AO blade and set the saw at a slow speed.  Sanded afterwards, of course.

So given my height (5'9"), I can't expect any further improvement without eliminating the windshield, or growing a couple inches haha.  This solution might work well for taller riders.

I have a new KLIM Krios Pro helmet (which is light and quiet), and always wear earplugs.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Windshield noise and corrections
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »

Don't they have a small .vs. larger windshield kits?  Get the smaller one instead?

You could always sit on a few phone books too, so you can see better over the handlebars, and maybe reduce the wind noise.

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 02:06:39 AM »

An irritant for me has been the amount of wind noise generated by the Experia windshield, unlike any of my other motorcycles.  It's very obvious, and totally eliminated when I stand on the pegs.  After doing some research, I cut my windshield down by a couple of inches.  An improvement, but it has not eliminated all of the noise.  Now, I only have to rise out of the seat a small amount to be in clean, quiet air.

After experimenting with radii and masking the windshield and foot of the jigsaw, I used a Bosch T101AO blade and set the saw at a slow speed.  Sanded afterwards, of course.

So given my height (5'9"), I can't expect any further improvement without eliminating the windshield, or growing a couple inches haha.  This solution might work well for taller riders.

I have a new KLIM Krios Pro helmet (which is light and quiet), and always wear earplugs.

I fitted a "vario spoiler" to mine... much better. I think it would help if the screen was a bit "wider" too, I find when leaning left or right a couple of inches makes a difference too.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 02:44:38 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 07:11:32 PM »

Well, after a much longer ride, I am quite happy with my alteration to the windshield.  It is much quieter, and less buffeting.  No need for sitting on phone books, either!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:37:16 AM »

That's one thing I find about the Ribelle.  It claims it's just like the EGO but you don't have to hump the gas tank to ride it, (unless you are hauling ass, then it helps),  but on that, the wind shield is so short on it, like if you were on an EGO, humping the gas tank, it almost seems like, why bother,  give me a TALL windshield, it's not like the bike doesn't have the HP to overcome any wind resistance the thing is causing.  Especially when at highway speeds +,  and if you got a bit of a head wind, that can beat you up a bit.

I kind of wonder,  the wind pushing on the windshield will move the bike,  the wind pushing on YOU, via you bufffeting around, and holding the handle bars, creating movement input signals to the bike... will move the bike.  Which will be a smoother ride, the bike taking the wind beating or you.  Yes wearing heavy leathers helps a ton with that but still, you get moved around and just the slightest twitch on the handle bars and so does the bike now too.

Maybe I can use the phone books as an anchor in case I get blown off the bike by peeking around the windshield too much on a tight turn :)

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »

That's one thing I find about the Ribelle.  It claims it's just like the EGO but you don't have to hump the gas tank to ride it, (unless you are hauling ass, then it helps),  but on that, the wind shield is so short on it, like if you were on an EGO, humping the gas tank, it almost seems like, why bother,  give me a TALL windshield, it's not like the bike doesn't have the HP to overcome any wind resistance the thing is causing.  Especially when at highway speeds +,  and if you got a bit of a head wind, that can beat you up a bit.

I kind of wonder,  the wind pushing on the windshield will move the bike,  the wind pushing on YOU, via you bufffeting around, and holding the handle bars, creating movement input signals to the bike... will move the bike.  Which will be a smoother ride, the bike taking the wind beating or you.  Yes wearing heavy leathers helps a ton with that but still, you get moved around and just the slightest twitch on the handle bars and so does the bike now too.

Maybe I can use the phone books as an anchor in case I get blown off the bike by peeking around the windshield too much on a tight turn :)

Aaron

Honestly they should just make a VFR/H2SX style touring version of the Ego, my wallet would put out so hard for that ...
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 07:51:39 AM »

Many would,  the 125 mph limit really sucks ass imo.
Every other bike does 160 plus out of the box in the crotch rocket category, don't know why they can't boost that up a bit.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »

I do see the smaller windshield option for the Experia on the configurator. I can't really tell from the profile view of it on the website, but is it considerable smaller? Does anyone have one and can post a picture?
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 01:20:56 AM »

I do see the smaller windshield option for the Experia on the configurator. I can't really tell from the profile view of it on the website, but is it considerable smaller? Does anyone have one and can post a picture?

I only have the stock "larger" size screen on mine....I believe the smaller screen is ~50mm shorter, but similar width. When I bought my bike I wasn't even aware there were two screens available as it wasn't mentioned on the website...it is now though.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 05:21:58 AM »

Found this on Amazon for 20.00 US fits my Ribelle perfect with few mods to mounting.Brackets

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 10:40:59 PM »

I have a Zero SR/S so my experiences aren't directly relatable, but the ideas are the same.  First off, how stupid of me that I have not yet tried riding with a pad of some sort to see how it feels.  I have no idea if phone books exist any more, but...something.

My bike came with an ultra tiny sport screen, and I quickly put on the touring screen with is very tall.  The tiny one obviously leaves me in the wind, but it's clean.  Just a lot of wind.  The tall is noisy and buffeting, and really sucks.  I tried one of the little variable flip screens, but no joy.  I can't find a position that helps.  I have also been considering cutting the touring screen, and really appreciate the info on that.

I had a KTM 390 Adv with the Givi tall screen, and the vario spoiler thing really helped it a lot.  Very dramatic.  So I still recommend trying that on the Experia.  It's something like $30 on Amazon.

Balrog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 02:54:21 AM »

I believe I installed this rather huge Touratech windshield extender on my Experia. A LOT less wind noise. As the riding season is over for me, I will try to tilt the whole Windshielt some degrees forward as I think it might remove the remaing noise. I am 181 cm.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Windscreen-Spoiler-Universal-with-Lock

Energica Experia '23, Zero SR '17, Zero S '17, Yamaha FJR1300 '07, Honda CB500X '22

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 07:08:15 AM »

The Ribelle, the problem is the screen deflects the wind right smack dab in the middle of your face on the helmet.  Once you start going 100 plus it starts smashing the helmet to your face, not fun.  Im wondering if, since the EGO you are crouched down, you are below the slipstream of the windshield already, and the ribelle, being you are riding more upright, you are right in the middle of the stream,  was this an oversight?  Id think the Ribby would need a bigger shield to get the air pointing up and over a bit more since YOU are now in the way .vs. the Ego.

Yes Yes, I know tighten the helmet and tuck my head so it ain't sticking out like a dogs dick, but still, hold your hand above the wind shield and move it up and down, you can feel exactly where the wind is going to smack you at, and bring the noise with it.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 07:08:47 PM »

Yeah That's why I installed the extension now wind goes over helmet

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 05:29:45 PM »

do you have a link for the extension and what mods did you have to do to it?

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2