• September 30, 2024, 12:33:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gear Lube  (Read 1149 times)

Commodore

• View Profile
Re: Gear Lube
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »

Thanks, Smithy!  Yes, Experia, and I will get right on re-changing the gear lube.  During a long ride yesterday, I was hearing strange noises from down below at those times between acceleration and deceleration; thought my chain was loose (it's to spec), but they must have been from the overfilled gearbox.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2023, 02:39:19 AM »

Thanks, Smithy!  Yes, Experia, and I will get right on re-changing the gear lube.  During a long ride yesterday, I was hearing strange noises from down below at those times between acceleration and deceleration; thought my chain was loose (it's to spec), but they must have been from the overfilled gearbox.

There's a "breather" pipe which connects via a banjo bolt to the inside rear of the gearcase, you can see it when looking from the left side to the rear of the front sprocket, the rubber pipe runs up over the motor towards the front and exits underneath onto the belly pan, I get a few drops of oil from it if the oil level is too high...I've found the oil level is "correct" when it's "just" on centre of the sight glass with the bike vertical, any more and it tends to "breath" out of the pipe, but only a couple of drops...nothing bad really.

Check the chain isn't hitting the underside of the swingarm, this can give a slight ticking noise when under power over rough roads etc... 

Smithy. 
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »

Just to confirm, this is the screw you were referencing?  It is at the end of a passage from the lube reservoir.

Thanks again.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 02:05:49 AM »

Just to confirm, this is the screw you were referencing?  It is at the end of a passage from the lube reservoir.
Thanks again.

That's the one, it will have a copper washer on it, the thread is 6x1mm. The thread is also very long, (~20mm) for what is essentially a small plug. Just be careful as the head of the screw is quite soft and the torx bit tends to damage the screw if not perfectly engaged, it's at a funny angle....I fitted a stainless 5mm hex/Allen headed screw in there when I did mine....much easier to access and loosen/tighten/torque correctly. 10nm is plenty for a screw of this size.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Pages: 1 [2]