• September 30, 2024, 12:11:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gear Lube  (Read 1148 times)

wadejesu

• View Profile
Gear Lube
« on: September 29, 2023, 02:13:11 AM »

Anybody experimented with different gear lube to quiet down the whine? 

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Gear Lube
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:38:25 AM »

Anybody experimented with different gear lube to quiet down the whine?

I'm using a "heavier" oil in my Experia...Fully synthetic 80W140, which is essentially diff oil, it's Australian made by Nulon. Top shelf quality stuff. The Experia only uses 50ml of it so a 1L container will theoretically last for 20 oil changes. I'm changing the oil every 5k km instead of the 15k km recommended in the service schedule.

My Experia has just shy of 13k km on it thus far and coming up for it's 3rd oil change @15k.

Does it make it "quieter"..?? I suspect not as they're straight cut gears and not much will make them quieter.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 05:45:38 PM »

They're deliberately designed to be loud, you'd probably have to mod the gearbox itself to make it quieter.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 10:35:04 PM »

I love the whine. I think it sound like a cross between a turbine and a banshee. :)

I feel like the Energica gear whine will become like the chinga-chinga-chinga-clang-clang-clang-chinga-chinga-chinga... of a Ducati single plate dry clutch.

Music to some, friggin racket to others.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 11:03:41 PM »

I think the whine is not just the gearbox. 
Some of it is electric, anytime you put a frequency thru a motor / transformer etc, it will hum / or whine, as you call it, depending on the frequency from vibration of the metallic parts / laminations etc in it caused by the magnetic field swapping.
some of it comes from the motor thru other mechanical interactions.  Harmonics from the gear reduction so on and so forth.

Could always put a big wet blanket around the motor to dampen the noise and help cool it !

Seriously though it really is NOT that loud.  You should hear some hydraulic pump motors screaming, you'll come to appreciate how quiet your Energica really is!

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 03:05:21 AM »

Just be glad it doesn't make a legally mandated 1950s flying saucer noise from a little speaker somewhere ...
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »

Who / Where was that at?  Sounds like some doofus caly stuff.  I think I remember seeing something about some cars having to put noise makers on them because they were too quiet or something?  Not like half the retards walking today would notice it anyways, they are too busy zombie staring at their phones and most have earbuds in anyways.

That could be fun though, if you had a sound board with say 40 different sounds your car / bike could make, just pick one and go with it!  A cow mooing for when you pass Rosie O'donnel, have fun with it !

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 07:35:22 PM »

Who / Where was that at?  Sounds like some doofus caly stuff.  I think I remember seeing something about some cars having to put noise makers on them because they were too quiet or something?  Not like half the retards walking today would notice it anyways, they are too busy zombie staring at their phones and most have earbuds in anyways.

That could be fun though, if you had a sound board with say 40 different sounds your car / bike could make, just pick one and go with it!  A cow mooing for when you pass Rosie O'donnel, have fun with it !

Aaron

Which brings up a funny story from my past. Years ago at a city council meeting of the city where I used to live, a councilman had brought with him one of those old laugh boxes that were popular at the time. You would turn it over and it would start laughing nonstop for about 30 seconds. At the meeting there was a discussion regarding the plight of women in the world and especially in politics who were getting no respect. The guy really wasn't listening to the conversation and was fondling the laugh box, when he accidentally turned it over and it started to laugh loudly. He then tried to turn it off, but all that did was to make it laugh even more. Needless to say the temperature in the council chambers started to approach absolute zero and turned deathly quiet once the laugh box finally stopped laughing. That councilman was not elected to anything ever again.

I can think of some politicians in office right now who would probably embrace the idea of a laughing EV as it drove along.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 08:16:16 PM »

Oh that's funny, I love it.
Then again, when that EV is stranded on the side of the road because it's in commiefornia and the owner could not charge it because they didn't have enough electricity, the guy from Nevada could ride by, with the same laugh box.  Didn't they have a fart box too if I remember?  There's also that,  'That Was Easy' button too and other corporate weenie-ism's

That councilman was brilliant though.  THAT is the way you get your message across, in a way that it'd be super difficult to say
 prove you intentionally did it, and at the same time guaranTEE you never get volunteered for stupid stuff ever again :D

Aaron

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 08:09:23 PM »

I changed my gear lube after 1100 miles, and this is what I found on my drain plug.  This amount of fine fragments didn't concern me, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Thanks!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 08:32:56 PM »

For a brand new bike, or ANY vehicle really.  The first change or two, typically can have a bit more shavings in them because everything is brand new.  All the sharp edges are rubbing off, all the gears are working in with each other.  Everything is machining itself in with each other part for the overall mechanism.  Now if it keeps doing this change after change or your oil looks like oatmeal with metal sludge, THEN you have a problem, but the first change or two, generally no biggie.

for an electric bike, the gearbox is all you need worry about really, running at 45 mph in urban areas is one thing.  Humping it on a race track, or going wot on an open highway for miles is another.  Each is going to engage the gearbox at different force vectors, or more intensity on them.  This will cause parts that may not have been under heavy load at 45, to load up at 145, and possibly shed a bit as they fine hone and mesh in the gear train.

So, after say 5000 miles, you finally feel confident enough to take your bike for a romp on the track, and you pull metal shavings out the next oil change,  don't panic, you just broke in, new parts of the tranny.

this reminds me, I need to check all my stuff again, it's about that time.

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 01:58:42 AM »

I love the whine. I think it sound like a cross between a turbine and a banshee. :)

I feel like the Energica gear whine will become like the chinga-chinga-chinga-clang-clang-clang-chinga-chinga-chinga... of a Ducati single plate dry clutch.

Music to some, friggin racket to others.

I don't think they're "single plate" clutches in the Ducati's.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 09:13:11 PM »

I don't think they're "single plate" clutches in the Ducati's.

Smithy.

You're right. I meant to say something more along the lines of how the individual plates ring when they clang around in the basket.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

svelectric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 09:37:10 PM »

I changed my gear lube after 1100 miles, and this is what I found on my drain plug.  This amount of fine fragments didn't concern me, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Thanks!

Looks the same as when I changed my oil. 

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 02:43:19 AM »

I changed my gear lube after 1100 miles, and this is what I found on my drain plug.  This amount of fine fragments didn't concern me, but I'd like to hear what others think.Thanks!

Is this an Experia..?? If so, it's quite normal....mine was the same for the first two oil changes.

Just a side note...that is "not" the drain plug for the Experia....the actual drain plug is underneath and is a small 6mm threaded screw with a Torx head, a bit difficult to get at. It lives behind the side stand mount and is only accessable from under the motor. Using the drain plug you have shown will leave a considerable amount of oil oil in the motor gearcase when drained....you'll never get all the old crappy oil out.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 02:29:10 AM by smithy »
Pages: [1] 2