• September 30, 2024, 04:32:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Balancing good practices  (Read 3439 times)

Valen

• View Profile
Balancing good practices
« on: September 18, 2023, 03:03:26 PM »

I've a 22 Ribelle RS for like 1.5y and just discovered something about balancing  :o so just in case i'm not the only one being stupid i prefer to share the infos

When your bike is charged and it start balancing, the balancing process will stop automatically after 1h even if it isn't fully done.

So basically if you leave your bike plugged and come back the day after and it shows 99% it doesn't mean that you lost 1% overnight, it just means that the balancing wasn't fully done.

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Balancing good practices
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »

Thank you for sharing this!

Just have to make sure: You are on the last available firmware update?
Because I had the issue of not charging to 100 % when I was on FW version 042, but the first version.
It seems OK since the 042 was updated.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 03:47:58 PM »

I have had my 2023 Ribelle RS for a year now and have never seen it do that. It has always charged to 100%. Balancing starts at 99% though. I am on the first version of Fw 042.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:55:08 PM by ultrarnr »

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 04:19:09 PM »

FYI, according to the Swiss importer of Energicas, and Energica itself, there is only one version of firmware 042 and that runs fine. There was, however, a problem with the software that installed firmware 042. The issues encountered by early firmware 042 adopters are considered to be caused by a bug in said software, not the firmware. I can't verify that myself but the explanation sounds plausible to me as the meta-data of the firmware seems to be identical.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 06:45:39 PM »

I'm on the last Firmware but in this case it's irrelevant. Long story short, i had a defective connector inside the battery (don't worry it's quite rare) so balancing was impossible for a few months. It was a hardware problem, not a software one so it's not related to FW version

If you balanced your battery on a regular basis, 1h is enough so you don't see any problem. However, if you didn't (or can't) balance it correctly for an extended period and the bike will still shut off automaticaly after 1h (even if you need more).
Basically you just need to unplug, plug back in and it ll resume the balancing for another 1h.

The info couldn't be more accurate as it comes from the 3 techs from Energica factory that flew to Paris last week to inspect and repair my bike.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 07:45:19 PM »

Three technicians flown in? Colour me impressed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 07:47:26 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 07:54:54 PM »

Three technicians flown in? Colour me impressed.

Yep changing the defective connector inside de battery was a pain in the .... as my dealer said. They had to remove the battery, dissasemble it partially..

They were supposed to be "only" 2 at the beginning but they took the opportunity to do a bit of training to the mecanics at the dealer also.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 05:04:49 AM »

I have a 2023 Ribelle and have seen it start balancing as low as 90 percent before.  I want to say I've seen it start in the upper 80's but want to verify that first.
I have not paid attention  to the balancing but have seen it turn off at 99 percent only twice really.
Once was after a few CCS charges and hopping right back on, and riding the bike hard, so yah there could have been an unbalance.  The other was an overnight charge that was a fast charge followed by an AC charge to finish the last say 20 percent of it, I woke up the next morning turned the bike on and it said 99 so can't say for sure how it got there.

I can't see that I seen the hour turn off.  I have charged my bike at 115 ish volts before, (that is the voltage when I plug it directly into my one solar panel array) and it's been at balancing for more than an  hour at times.

I'll keep an eye on it better and see what I observe.
Thanks for this post, im interested to see what's up now!

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 05:06:52 AM »

My 2023 Ribelle RS never gets to 100% only 99%, I also never see the charging complete screen, It just shuts off and goes dark. Turn key on and it shows 99% SOC.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 12:17:05 PM »

FYI, according to the Swiss importer of Energicas, and Energica itself, there is only one version of firmware 042 and that runs fine. There was, however, a problem with the software that installed firmware 042. The issues encountered by early firmware 042 adopters are considered to be caused by a bug in said software, not the firmware. I can't verify that myself but the explanation sounds plausible to me as the meta-data of the firmware seems to be identical.

Thx for that info! Now I understand why the number of the FW didn't change.

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 02:33:58 PM »

Following the discussion with the techs, there is no "charging complete" or "balancing complete" screen which is in my opinion really dumb.

The only way to make sure that the battery is really fully balanced is that the bike is indicating 100%. For your info, mine was badly unbalanced due to the separate issue that i had and they told me that acheiving a full balancing will take around a week (unplugging, plugging and starting over)

I already see an increase in balance so it is working (slowly).

But to be honest now that i know how it works i think i ll cancel the SOC limit for the future ;)

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 02:38:02 PM »

I have a 2023 Ribelle and have seen it start balancing as low as 90 percent before.  I want to say I've seen it start in the upper 80's but want to verify that first.
I have not paid attention  to the balancing but have seen it turn off at 99 percent only twice really.
Once was after a few CCS charges and hopping right back on, and riding the bike hard, so yah there could have been an unbalance.  The other was an overnight charge that was a fast charge followed by an AC charge to finish the last say 20 percent of it, I woke up the next morning turned the bike on and it said 99 so can't say for sure how it got there.

I can't see that I seen the hour turn off.  I have charged my bike at 115 ish volts before, (that is the voltage when I plug it directly into my one solar panel array) and it's been at balancing for more than an  hour at times.

I'll keep an eye on it better and see what I observe.
Thanks for this post, im interested to see what's up now!

Aaron

When there's still some charging going on (the top number on the dash) the bike will not cut off after 1h.
The bike will cut only after 1h at 0.0 which happens when the bike doesn't charge anymore but is still balancing the cells.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 07:16:42 PM »

I guess I'll keep unplugging and plugging back in till it finally goes to a 100%.  According to the manual, there is a charge complete screen, not sure how long it stays on. It could be that 2023 and newer models there is no complete screen.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2023, 08:27:54 PM »

My Ribelle gets a charge complete screen when it's finally done.

Having the batteries unbalanced 1 percent is not a game killer, yes it's nice to have them perfectly balanced but that little bit is not going to really destroy anything, especially if you are working your way towards a final good balance.

Balancing is good for the batteries but is not something that MUST be done every charge cycle.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 09:55:25 PM »

Good point, another thing I noticed., everytime I unplug & Plug attempting to reach 100%, my range goes down about 4 miles each time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4