• September 30, 2024, 02:26:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Regina HPE Chain - 10,000 km / UPDATE at 14,000: Chain Is DEAD!  (Read 3384 times)

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Regina HPE Chain - 10,000 km
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2023, 01:27:14 AM »

Fitted a new DID ZVMX 520 chain, new sprockets and new tyres to my Experia last weekend....much better than the OEM chain which felt harsh to me.

Tyres fitted are Conti Road attack 3 on the rear and Sport attack 4 on the front.

Believe it or not, the OEM rear sprocket is aluminium on the Experia..

Bike has just passed 13k km (~8k miles) thus far.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 01:52:52 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2023, 07:37:11 AM »

Well, the experia is not really a racing bike, so should not have massive torques put to it.
Besides, a sproket is a lot better failure point than an axle or bearing IMO.

Aaron
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:38:07 PM by Specter »

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2023, 09:43:35 AM »

Well, the experia is not really a racing bike, so should have massive torques put to it.
Besides, a sproket is a lot better failure point than an axle or bearing IMO.

Aaron

I've been running an aluminium sprocket on the rear of my BMW S1000XR for several years, it has over 50k km on it and is still in good condition.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 05:27:52 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2023, 07:24:43 PM »

I've been running an aluminium sprocket on the rear of my BMW S1000XR for several years, it has over 50k km on it and is still in good condition.

Smithy.

Does that 1000cc BMW use an 3/8 inch wide sprocket?

Post 1 calls for 525 chain while your reply #30 states 520.  With the 530 or industrial 50 vs the 532 the roller diameter is 2mm larger for the 532.  Searching the chain on line it seems the 25 in 525 chain means 2.5 eights of an inch wide.  5=5/8 pitch second digit was width in eights I thought.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:27:44 PM by Fran K »

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2023, 01:45:05 AM »

Smithy.

Does that 1000cc BMW use an 3/8 inch wide sprocket?

Post 1 calls for 525 chain while your reply #30 states 520.  With the 530 or industrial 50 vs the 532 the roller diameter is 2mm larger for the 532.  Searching the chain on line it seems the 25 in 525 chain means 2.5 eights of an inch wide.  5=5/8 pitch second digit was width in eights I thought.

The BMW S1000XR uses a 525 chain & sprockets as standard. The Experia comes with a 520 chain & sprockets from the factory.

The EGO, Ribelle and SS9 all use a 525 chain & sprockets.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 04:42:57 AM by smithy »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2023, 12:28:45 PM »

Hi, does anyone has an info, where to buy this chain ( REGINA HPE) for an esseesse9+ as a complete
kit?

@jscho
What do you mean with complete kit? In case you want to buy the stuff separately, you can find the necessary info here:

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12557.msg119266#msg119266

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »

UPDATE AT 14,000 km

The chain is as good as dead!
The last 2,000 km the chain began to rattle and I tried to tension it at least twice which helped for let's say 50 km.
The problem is that the chain is lengthened inhomogeneously, i.e. there are tight spots and loose spots. With a chain gauge I measured regions which are nearly good as new as well as regions where the chaing is lengthened more than 1 %.
Because I must use a tight spot for tensioning, the chain keeps being too loose, causing rattling noises which drive me nuts.

That is so dissapointing, having payed a lot of money for a chain that doesn't even perform as long as a conventional one! This chain never saw rain or excessive speeds!

So, IMO this Regina HPE chain is an utter failure and nothing more than a marketing fad.
I hope someone in the US will sue and make them pay for this!

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2023, 03:43:47 PM »

UPDATE AT 14,000 km

The Regina chain is Italian made so I doubt suing somebody in the US will help.

Smithy.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2023, 09:46:44 PM »

UPDATE AT 14,000 km

Sry to hear that. How about warranty?
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2023, 12:52:46 AM »

UPDATE AT 14,000 km

So, IMO this Regina HPE chain is an utter failure and nothing more than a marketing fad.

Has a comparison been made with driving sprocket diameter between BMW application and the Energica RS application?

Sounds like a failure, agreed, but under harsher loads perhaps than the manufacturer intended?
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Regina HPE Chain - 10,000 km / UPDATE at 14,000: Chain Is DEAD!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »

@chisquare: I wrote an e-mail to the manufacturer (nicer wording than in my post), but I do not expect anything, not even an answer. In my experience customer service is something most companies refuse to take seriously. Moreover, this is a wear part and it will be impossible to prove what the cause of this early failure was.

@PWM: TBH I think any comparison with other bikes is besides the point. My first chain was the original OEM (common Regina chain), worked for nearly 18,000 km and was exchanged earlier than necessary to make way for the allegedly superior HPE. Both chains were treated with the same lubricant, the only difference is the lubing interval. While the common chain was treated every 300-500 km, the HPE was only wiped clean occasionally.

For anyone interested:
I took the time to search the web a bit about performance of the HPE. Obviously I am not the only one reporting an early demise.
But most interesting was this: A lube manufacturer took Regina HPE chains for a test in 2022. You can find the report here (in German).
https://dr-wack.com/dr-wack/news-presse/wartungsfreie-motorradkette-im-test
They tested two HPE chains with and without lubing and a normal chain for comparison.
BOTH HPE chains broke during the test (!) while the normal chain did not.

Of course we can discuss this at length, but in the end this is another indicator that most probably the promises made by Regina are overblown.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2023, 07:37:48 AM »

Why run it without lube?  That just seems to be inviting problems, even IF the manu said it can do so.
Kind of like that miracle oil they were selling back in the 90's and shit,  oh this engine ran for 20k miles with NO OIL, because they put a quart of our glop into it at one time in it's life.

Can it run w/o lube - yes
Is it really good to do so - probably not.

They probably are going to reply to you, IF they do, with something similar, you need to lube it for best results, bla bla bla.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2023, 11:59:07 AM »

@ Aaron
Of course you are right, that chains must be lubed. But Regina claims to use a special surface coating with high hardness which sounded reasonable to me. From my job I know that for instance gears made of high carbon cast steel are somewhat self-lubing, so I thought I will give it a try.

Unexpectedly I got an answer to my email I sent to the German distributor of Regina, but it came on Friday afternoon when I already switched off my e-mail.
They offered to check the chain if I send it in at their cost and I might get a new one free of charge if they find that the chain's early demise was due to a production fault or similar. I would have really liked to see what the outcome of this is, but I already changed the chain and threw away the faulty one.

In the Facebook Energica group I just read yesterday that one guy had a broken (!) HPE chain on his bike. That together with the failed test at Dr Wack makes me suspicious that this type of chain might be even a safety risk. Now I am not sure if I would have installed another HPE on my bike even if Regina would have supplied a new one.

So, for me that is the end of this story.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:13:28 PM by jotjotde »

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »

Unexpectedly I got an answer to my email I sent to the German distributor of Regina, but it came on Friday afternoon when I already switched off my e-mail.
They offered to check the chain if I send it in at their cost and I might get a new one free of charge if they find that the chain's early demise was due to a production fault or similar. I would have really liked to see what the outcome of this is, but I already changed the chain and threw away the faulty one.

Nice move by the distributor. Too bad that you already disposed of the defective chain. But I can see that. Frustrated by the p*** poor quality, I probably would have done the same.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2023, 12:30:01 AM »

Especially if you are a more spirited rider.  If you are running a chain on ...lets say... hi torque mode and it lets loose, that'll wreck your ass in short order.  Things that may be an inconvenience in one instance can be catastrophic in others.

I wonder if a chain did let loose on an Energica when under high power, how quickly it'd be able to catch itself before shit starts flying out the walls of the motor or tranny?  God help you that bastard locks the rear tire though.

I was doing a heavy horse run on my bike today, nice and cool out, fkn wind, holy shit is that a menace at 3D  speeds.  When I got home, I could hear my chain rattling at lower speeds, so,  umm, yah I probably need to adjust the tension on it again.

How can you tell when a chain is shot and it needs to be replaced, besides for it breaking of course?

Aaron
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4