• October 01, 2024, 02:34:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: At the Bike or at the Machine?  (Read 1167 times)

Motoproponent

• View Profile
At the Bike or at the Machine?
« on: August 31, 2023, 08:53:14 PM »

If you're not going to let the bike get to 100% is there a better, or preferred, method to stop the charging?

Is it better to stop the charge at the bike "press mode to stop" or is it better to use the "Stop Charging" feature in the charge provider's app or on the charger?
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
Re: At the Bike or at the Machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 09:03:13 PM »

I would have to say at the bike, that way it releases the lock thingie on the charging head.  If you turn it off at the charger, it may not disengage properly and you'll then still have to stop the charge at the bike again anyways, to get it to unlock the charge head.

Aaron

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 02:41:47 AM »

"At the Bike" is going to be your best option and really should be the only option to consider. Energicas have the ability to set a charge limit if you do not want it to go 100% for some reason and will still balance the cells properly at cut off point that you set.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 04:54:09 AM »

"At the Bike" is going to be your best option and really should be the only option to consider. Energicas have the ability to set a charge limit if you do not want it to go 100% for some reason and will still balance the cells properly at cut off point that you set.

Agree to disconnect at the bike.

Not sure that cell balancing occurs below the last few % near full charge.  Balancing only occurs at the upper voltage limits of the cells.  If you set the charge limit to 80%, it will stop there but it will not balance the cells.

Please correct me if I am wrong and direct me to some documentation.  Endless disagreements about the whole cell balancing thing, how and when it occurs...

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 11:06:02 AM »

Initializing the charge stop from the DC charger screen or from the charging app (elvah, Shell recharge, EnBW mobility) often produced error codes on the bike's screen and/or in the app. But the bike's codes dissapeared always quickly without a trace. But it could take some 20 seconds until the charge plug was finally released from the bike.

Now I disengage always by pressing the mode button. No errors, no waiting.

According to my experience balancing begins most of the time at around 95 % SOC.
Had it start at 92 % once and one time at 98 %, so it seems the 95 is not a fixed number.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 11:12:39 AM by jotjotde »

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 12:43:53 PM »

Happy to hear that the everyone uses the mode switch to end a charging session. This ensures that the pin on our charge port will retract unlocking the cable. If you do stop the charge via the charger you may need to power cycle the bike to get the pin to retract.

The balancing process starts when the first cell chain reaches the preset max voltage. What % SOC the battery will start balancing depend on the delta between the highest and lowest cell voltages. The bike will show a SOC of 100% once the cell voltage delta is within the set range.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 02:37:50 PM »

^^^  Thank you @Demoni  !!!

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 10:53:55 PM »

I've experienced several "Charger Fault" errors when using the mode button to stop a charge session. Usually it goes away when I key the bike off and then on again, but I didn't know if that was normal.

I always have this little fear in the back of my mind that I'm going to stop the charge and the charger will brick the bike.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 06:20:04 PM »

I've experienced several "Charger Fault" errors when using the mode button to stop a charge session. Usually it goes away when I key the bike off and then on again, but I didn't know if that was normal.

I always have this little fear in the back of my mind that I'm going to stop the charge and the charger will brick the bike.

i think it's just more software quirks.  I have had several charging 'goofy shit' events myself and so far nothing has ever been serious.  Just cycle power and everything is fine.  The key not in range coming in during a charge seems to be a major cause of a lot of the little buggy stuff you see as well IMO.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 08:24:02 PM »

Happy to hear that the everyone uses the mode switch to end a charging session. This ensures that the pin on our charge port will retract unlocking the cable. If you do stop the charge via the charger you may need to power cycle the bike to get the pin to retract.
But there sure are a lot of little bugs in the Experia. I normally get the message "you may now disconnect the charging cable" when I have been riding on the freeway for ten minutes after the last charge was over and disconnected.

I have also seen the message that the "bike is off, turn on to continue" as I am riding down the freeway.

Very delayed messages or whatever.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 10:30:55 AM »

I've seen this where Energica just don't like the charge session being stopped by the charger for whatever reason.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 11:25:43 AM »

After AC charging my Ribelle the pin only sometimes retract. So I have to push it down manually or power up the bike.
When manually interrupting the charging (AC or DC) by pressing the mode button, the pin always retracts.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 10:31:13 PM »

I see this a lot, even though it says charge complete, the pin is still up holding the plug in place.
Im thinking maybe it's waiting for an 'Ok Im done too, its safe to unplug' or something from the charger as well before it disengages, for safety reasons?  Not entirely sure on that.
You shouldn't really force it to let go, that's just asking for issues IMO.  You force something, and it bends or breaks, now what?

Although it is a bit of a pain, just cycle power on the bike and it'll send a 'cycle' command to it to retract the locking mechanism so you can unplug properly.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 02:48:49 PM »

The bike is waiting for the charger to tell if it is safe to let go of the plug? Interesting thought. Maybe I will try once what happens if I unplug the charger from the net first.

What confuses me is the fact that sometimes the pin is down and sometimes not. In the last dozen charges it was still up, regardless if I charge to 80 or 100 %.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »

Update: Disconnecting the charger from the outlet before unplugging from the bike does not change anything. The 'pin' stays up.
You have to push it manually down or switch on the bike for automatic retraction.

It's annoying. Some weeks ago this worked fine. Now not anymore.
Pages: [1] 2