• September 30, 2024, 12:13:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Energica tool kit  (Read 2074 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Energica tool kit
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 05:14:37 PM »

Moto, that is a very good hypothesis, BUT, the torque you need to tighten the bastards down so they don't do that with a 100 MPH wind on them, to break them free on an impact, you are putting an input into the bike.  Squeeze the tank / body with your legs to help mitigate that is what I do.  NO I don't lane split on the highways, I just always (at least for now) find it to be too dangerous for the gain, especially since it's illegal out here and people would slide over to pinch you if they seen you coming up doing that in these aprts of town...but can see them getting hit by tree branches and crap too occasionally.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 11:08:29 PM »

Well I rarely go 100mph so I can't say my mirrors are snugged down tight enough to withstand the steady push at that kind of sustained speed.

But I split lanes daily and have had some mirror to mirror contact more often than I would care to admit. A light tap will knock the mirror out of alignment, but anything more will spin the post with little more than an audible clap. It really does not provide a control input at all. I was guessing (my hypothesis) as to whether that's the reason the mirrors are engineered to loosen in the direction that they do. It is obviously intentional since the mirrors are right or left hand threaded. And they are that way on every motorcycle I've ever had with bar mounted mirrors posts. Almost all other motorcycle markets have lane splitting, so I imagine that is an actuality that engineers consider when figuring out a bike. 

Also because lane splitting feels normal I will often forget it's illegal when I'm riding in other states. I've never had someone in another state try to pinch me in the split. I've never split lanes in Florida though. "Florida Man" is a different breed altogether, lol
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:19 AM »

Ive seen these inbred mother fuckers open the door up when they see a bike coming, claiming, I was just spitting my tobacco juice officer.  the biker gets the ticket because lane splitting is illegal.  I get it, the biker should not be doing that shit, as a driver yes it can piss you off but to intentionally try to hurt someone / damage their stuff like that, you need an ass beating.

My Ribelle has opposing mirrors as well.  I would think that the ideal way would be for the wind pushing would tighten them but it does not.  Even if you really thunked the mirror I can't see it making THAT much input on the handle bar, I mean unless you hit the handle bar too, in which point, you are getting ready to have a very bad day im betting.  The mirrors are on a ball mount anyways to adjust them so i can't really see any mirror impact not just twist them around anyways, w/o having to have a break away.

That is strange now that I am thinking on it.

Aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 01:50:37 PM »

Every bike I have owned with bar mounted mirrors have one standard threaded and one reverse threaded like those on the EVA and EsseEsse9. Not sure of the exact reason for this but reducing damage in the event of an impact makes sense.

The threaded portion of the mirrors is separate from the mirror body. They thread into the legs of the mirror using a fixed 13mm nut and are tightened to the bar mounts using a second (free spinning) 13mm nut. If you run into issues with your bikes mirrors coming loose you might want to remove them. Loosen the fixed 13mm nut and apply blue loctight to the threads before tightening them back into the body of the mirror. Use the loose 13mm nut to lock the mirrors in position. There should be 1-2 exposed threads between the 2 nuts. If the gap is smaller than that it will be hard to tighten only the lower nut, if the gap is larger too few threads are securing the mirror to the mount.

You can also adjust the tension of the ball joint with a 2.5mm allen wrench. If this is too tight you can crack the glass when trying to adjust the mirror.

Also note that the Experia does not use a 315mA glass fuse.

Regarding other tool suggestions for your kit:
Small section of wire (~18g) - Can be helpful for testing circuits with a multimeter or other electrical situations (kickstand switch bypass etc.).
Tire plug kit - In all my travels carrying a plug kit and air compressor almost guarantees you will not have a flat tire but will forever be stopping to help other riders fix their punctures.
T15 and T25 (security) bits or keys - T25 for the throttle, T15 for various fairing fasteners.
32mm socket - To allow chain adjustments (along with the 13mm wrench), will require tracking down someone with a 1/2 breaker bar.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 07:30:32 PM »

Ive seen these inbred mother fuckers open the door up when they see a bike coming, claiming, I was just spitting my tobacco juice officer.  the biker gets the ticket because lane splitting is illegal.  I get it, the biker should not be doing that shit, as a driver yes it can piss you off but to intentionally try to hurt someone / damage their stuff like that, you need an ass beating.

My Ribelle has opposing mirrors as well.  I would think that the ideal way would be for the wind pushing would tighten them but it does not.  Even if you really thunked the mirror I can't see it making THAT much input on the handle bar, I mean unless you hit the handle bar too, in which point, you are getting ready to have a very bad day im betting.  The mirrors are on a ball mount anyways to adjust them so i can't really see any mirror impact not just twist them around anyways, w/o having to have a break away.

That is strange now that I am thinking on it.

Aaron

About 25 years ago I was on jury duty in a San Mateo, CA, courtroom. As I was being interviewed by the judge, he saw my helmet and commented that he hated being passed by a motorcycle splitting lanes while he was stopped due to a traffic jam on the freeway. He said that one of these days he was going to open up his door as a motorcycle was passing by and teach the rider a lesson. Needless to say, I was not picked as a juror for that trial. Hopefully that judge never actually did that and has retired by now.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2023, 07:40:08 PM »

A judge saying something like that out loud, to basically a stranger, while acting in the capacity of a judge.  Should NOT be a judge period!
What happens when YOU are in front of him for something?  Oh another biker POS,  GUILTY !!!  Next !!!

I wonder how the good judge would react if someone said something along the lines of, I wish they'd start blowing away these judges who let criminals back on the streets.  Would he lash out, or keep his mouth shut as he expects others to do while he hides behind his robe and says similar things.

Sadly there are way too many of these types in positions of power who do NOT need to be there.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2023, 09:51:02 PM »

About 25 years ago I was on jury duty in a San Mateo, CA, courtroom. As I was being interviewed by the judge, he saw my helmet and commented that he hated being passed by a motorcycle splitting lanes while he was stopped due to a traffic jam on the freeway. He said that one of these days he was going to open up his door as a motorcycle was passing by and teach the rider a lesson.
I cannot believe a judge would say anything so stupid. 

BTW, I sometimes lane split in CA on I-80 when the traffic is near a complete stop. I have seen cars move more over to the side for me to give me more space when they see me coming.

FWIW, I am usually going around 15 MPH when I am lane-splitting in traffic that is at a complete stop. The big problem on I-80 are the trucks side by side not leaving enough room for motorcycles to lane split, so I often cannot get far.

-Don-  Flagstaff, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2023, 03:49:05 AM »

When I split lanes nowadays, almost everyone moves over for me if they see me. I guess they learned to do that so that their expensive mirrors will not be damaged if they get hit by a passing motorcycle's mirrors.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2023, 09:58:57 PM »

All it takes is some retard texting and wanders over and taps you, or squishes you between two vehicles.  Just that little contact making inputs to your bike and you are done.  You go down between two cars because your foot pegs or handlebars got grabbed or slammed by a car part.

I see these idiots all the time on their phones weaving all over the place, off the road, half into the other lane,and always the sudden abrupt and almost over compensated corrections in direction.

TBH Id rather be on the road with a drunk driver than some asshole on their phone texting.
At least the drunk is trying to stop.
At least the drunk is trying to dodge the impending wreck.
At least the drunk is trying to move over

The clown on their phone updating their fakebook status has no clue what's going on around them, they are not even looking.  A train could have jumped the track and heading straight for them, but nope, they are zombies staring at their phones.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2023, 11:41:19 PM »

I only split lanes when the traffic is stopped and it is difficult for anyone to move their car sideways because there is another vehicle blocking that movement. I have been splitting lanes for 30 years without an issue. However, several times a year I have a car (more likely a pickup) pass me in my lane what I am going at the speed limit on the freeway.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2023, 05:49:37 AM »

I only split lanes when the traffic is stopped and it is difficult for anyone to move their car sideways because there is another vehicle blocking that movement. I have been splitting lanes for 30 years without an issue. However, several times a year I have a car (more likely a pickup) pass me in my lane what I am going at the speed limit on the freeway.

Lane splitting is legal here in Australia....but we still get car drivers who get angry at us.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2023, 07:18:41 AM »

Richard I had that happen to me already,  we were on a bridge, already going the ... Ill say... rate of traffic, everyone speeds on 295 and for some reason everyone loves to race up the dames point bridge and they all start bobbing back and forth like idiots trying to get in front of each other, pass each other, only to jam up on the other side of the bridge.  I never understood this, just WHY?? 
I usually try to stay out of that crap, but sure nuff, one clown wants to come in my lane, I have NOWHERE to go on the right, there's a big ass truck there and I can't even sprint in front of it, the car in front of me is making that stunt about impossible with his position.  Im yelling at them, beeping my horn, they don't hear so I smack on her side window hoping to get some attention,  YO !!!  STOP!!!  WTF!!!!

she stops moving over for a few seconds, im thinking ok good she seen me, then she starts coming over again.  This time I swing harder to bang harder,  I had my brand new track gloves on, was trying to break them in, as new gloves always give me grief with my hands falling asleep until I get them worn in for about 3 or 4 months.  I didn't think I swung THAT hard, I was not intending to as I didn't want a huge repulsing input into the bike possibly lurching my handlebars in those close quarters.   Well those titanium knuckles shattered the entire window. I mean this thing just CRASH into 1000 little squares.  She lurched back over into her lane  and almost took out the person on the other side of her she over corrected so far and just slowed WAY down almost getting piled into by the people behind her.  I just kept going, there is nowhere to pull over for a few miles up there and I really did not care at that point TBH.

Sadly in Jax, people drive stupid as it is already, and lane splitting between 2  cars in one of their lanes, is just BEGGING to get smooshed.  If she would have hit me and put me down, Id have been run over by probably 10 to 15 cars before folks started stopping....game over.

Occasionally you get the squid missiles who want to dodge and scream between traffic, doing really stupid stunts, but otherwise Id have to say you will almost never see lane  splitting here.  I would see it coming out of the Navy base at knockoff time, as traffic from Navsta Maport to Atlantic AVe,which is about 5 miles, is a road block that can easily take an hour or more to travel. (and since there are no longer drive thru liquor stores, a lot less fun :P ) and the ones on the bikes would play the game of wiggle thru traffic, trying to outrun / outsmart the cops who'd be waiting for them at intervals.  It was entertaining to watch but lil ole squidly would almost always get caught when the sheriff strategically poised a block or two up would jump out of his car, hand on his gun, point at squid missile and say YOU, over there, NOW !!  Those of us stuck in the 4 wheelers would drive by, honk and taunt the dumb kids as we drove by :)  Oh the days !!  The cops would make them get off their bikes and stand there baking in the hot sun as well, which being military, they ARE in full gear, plus a bright orange vest like you'd see a construction highway worker wear.

Now that I ride a bike, I really wish it WAS legal, I don't know how many times im stuck in traffic and you get MULTIPLE light cycles before you get thru because every fucking idiot is on their god damned phones and NOT paying attention and only 3 or 4 of the fuck wads make it through the light instead of maybe 10 because they are not moving in time and taking 15 seconds to finally start up.  Being on a bike and being able to get up front, and when the light changes, yah Ill be through the intersection before you even get started, would be awesome.

The interesting thing though, if you got a group of bikes, people ARE respectful then and let you do your thing.  if you are going thru a light and it turns, they'll generally wait until the entire pack is thru before them starting to move.  At times we'll send guards up to block cross traffic until the whole pack makes it thru and rarely if ever do the ones waiting get angry.  The police are not really pissy about it either, so that's a plus for bikes out here.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 10:34:57 PM »

Ok....if I can get us back on to the tool kit discussion....

The Snap Jack works pretty great. It's my interim solution for chain maintenance until the center stand is available.  IIRC, I saw someone with a Ribelle mention that they tried to move the bike while charging to lube the chain and it bricked the bike. Don't know how far it moved or if it put tension on the charge cable, or if there was some other thing that may have happened. I've been tempted to put the bike up on the Snap Jack and lube the chain while it's charging when I'm on longer trips, but didn't just in case.

Is there really a risk of faulting the bike by spinning the rear wheel while it's on the charger? Has anyone done it?
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2023, 10:02:23 PM »

I can't see how moving the bike would brick the bike.   Sometimes charging gets quirky if you do dumb shit to it, like wiggle the cable, it may lock the screen or something, but holding the start button down for like 30 seconds should force it to cycle out of pretty much any issue you created.

Ive had it go into a startup w/o the fob and hang there, immediately after a charge,  not sure if it was me wiggling the cord, or a software bug or what, but the screen all lit up and froze there.  I just held the start button down for about 20 to 30 seconds and it forced a restart and all was fina afterwards.

I just can't see how it'd brick the bike, unless you draw an arc or something, which is pretty hard to do given it's safety switch to not do that.  There always is the factory reset sequence too.

What did Energica say about that?  Was it fixed under warranty or something?  Id like to learn more about this!

Aaron
Pages: 1 [2]