• September 30, 2024, 12:11:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Energica tool kit  (Read 2073 times)

Motoproponent

• View Profile
Energica tool kit
« on: August 18, 2023, 03:11:05 AM »

I'm putting together get me back home tool kit. I'm pretty experienced with being able to get myself, or another stranded biker, back on the road. Some things like tire, battery, fuse, or chain problems are pretty universal. On my KTM I never went anywhere without a spare gallon of gas, a lithium jump pack, tire plugs and an air source, and tools to do basic repair and troubleshooting. Granted there were no feeler gauges as I wasnt going to do a valve adjustment on the roadside (i didnt even do those at home).

Looking at the Experia, my current tool kit is a roadside assistance number written on a post it note stuck to the back of my credit card.

As I do more and more long trips there are a few things that I am taking with me to keep a sudden end of the trip at bay. I no longer carry spare fuel, but I do take the jump pack as it doesnt take up that much space and I have used it to get other bikes and stalled cars back on the road.

Currently the Experia tool kit has:

Tire Plugs
Fantik X8 compressor
Allen keys that fit the fairing fasteners
compact analog multimeter
zip ties
duct tape
assorted blade fuses
small first aid kit (Band-Aids and bug bite remedies)

When I'm on a road trip I also have:
Snapjack V2
Chain lube
7oz can Plexus
microfiber cloth
3.5 oz can WD40

Is there anything I'm missing?

Anything I'm carrying that I'll never use?

The regular tool kit fits in the Rabbit Pouch of my riding jacket except the first aid kit that lives in the "Fr'ank". The road trip expansion occupies a small portion of the topcase. (I use the one of the side cases as the topcase)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 03:15:30 AM by Motoproponent »
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Re: Energica tool kit
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 08:08:20 AM »

I carried this toolkit on my Ribelle and my BMW (I kept one to use on my new Spyder) mainly for the pliers and wire cutters:

Oxford unisex adult - Oxford Tool Kit Pro, Black, Pro 27 Piece Premium US https://a.co/d/hofSJJY

The size wasn’t too big…not much bigger than my flat tire plug kit.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 09:15:57 AM »

Currently the Experia tool kit has:

Tire Plugs
Fantik X8 compressor
Allen keys that fit the fairing fasteners
compact analog multimeter
zip ties
duct tape
assorted blade fuses
small first aid kit (Band-Aids and bug bite remedies)

When I'm on a road trip I also have:
Snapjack V2
Chain lube
7oz can Plexus
microfiber cloth
3.5 oz can WD40

Is there anything I'm missing?

Sounds complete 'cept for the following maybe...

Velcro Tie, to actuate brake lever if you don't have a stop mechanism for parking on a street slope...

Side Stand Pad, plate aluminum thingy in case you stop on spungy ground...

Bulk Bungy Cord, 2-3 meters, no clips or hooks and a BIC cigarette lighter to fuse the ends from fraying - good for controlling (unexcpected) loads as you travel...e.g. bought something now sending it home but need to transport it to shipper if bag limits are exceeded...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »

Wow, that's an impressive list. I guess all that's necessary when you are going around in low population areas...
No weapons to ward off wolves and coyotes?  ;D

I just have a thin nylon rainjacket, sunglasses, some nose wipes and a helmet lock in a small bag strapped to the backseat of my Ribelle.
Looking at the complexity of the bike and my abilities, I do not think I could make any meaningful repairs on the run. ::)
Thus, I have to rely on roadside assistance service.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »

I carry a 13mm  spanner to tighten mirror nuts when they would become loose.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 02:42:45 AM »

Velcro Tie, to actuate brake lever if you don't have a stop mechanism for parking on a street slope...

Side Stand Pad, plate aluminum thingy in case you stop on spungy ground...

Bulk Bungy Cord, 2-3 meters, no clips or hooks and a BIC cigarette lighter to fuse the ends from fraying - good for controlling (unexcpected) loads as you travel...e.g. bought something now sending it home but need to transport it to shipper if bag limits are exceeded...

I have a little Velcro tie that lives wrapped around the handlebar and the Snapjack comes with one. So I'm covered there. I have a small set of Rock Straps that will be perfect to cover unexpected tie downs. I prefer them to bungee cords. Great suggestion.

The sidestand plate is a good one, too. I've been riding a KTM with the aftermarket Camel Toe for so long I forgot those were a thing. I no longer carry those side stand plates. I hope I still have some somewhere. It will kill me to buy a new one.

Good one, that's going in the kit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 02:45:18 AM by Motoproponent »

2024 Energica Experia

BorS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 04:11:05 PM »

I see a lot off tool on you list, almost everyone, I did never have to use in the 30K I have driven so far.
On hollyday's  I only use chainlube, if you at home adjust you chain, and it is in good condition you can run a lot of km's before you need to adjust it.  If in any case I need to adjust it, I look for a garage, even carworkshop will have those tools..

But I mis one important one, but I do not know if the experia has a small 300mA glass-fuse, but on the Ribelle that one sometimes gives up. And the bike is completely dead.   

Another question,  are you all right with range anxiety, you seem to worry a lot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:20:29 PM by BorS »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 09:39:02 PM »

But I mis one important one, but I do not know if the experia has a small 300mA glass-fuse, but on the Ribelle that one sometimes gives up. And the bike is completely dead.
I wondered that also, a 315 ma fuse.   See my thread here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2023, 09:56:43 PM »

How is wanting to be prepared, worrying a lot?  Kind of an odd statement to make.

The air compressor is a life saver, mine saved my ass a few times now already.

If you have any of the glass fuses you are probably going to want a little setof fuse pullers to grab them with.  Sometimes getting them out with our fingers can be a real bear. 

Electrical tape.
Male/female velcro strips.
If you don't have one on your tire pump kit, a tiny flashlight.
A flatblade and phillips screwdriver (actually I think the correct one is a reeds / barton, the sharp pointy one,NOT the flattend off top one.)
A few small ziplock baggies.  That way if you do have to remove some screws or small stuffs, you have something to put them in and they don't get kicked into the dirt or thru a bridge grating or something
A small needle nosed pliers BUT get the ones that are bent at a 90 degree angle.  They are excellent for when you have to reach down into something somewhee

I think that about does it, your list was pretty comprehensive.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 09:36:56 PM »

Another question,  are you all right with range anxiety, you seem to worry a lot.

I'm getting better with range anxiety the more miles I put on it.

I do worry a lot, mainly because I broke one of my own rules to be an early adopter. I don't buy new motorcycles. The last new bike I bought was a 2010 KTM 990 SMT. I paid $14,000 for it in 2010. When I sold it in 2018, with 90,000 miles on it, I was lucky to get $1200 for it. No one wants to pay a premium to be the person to take a used LC8 over 100,000 miles. I also stay away from new models or "total redesigns" of updated models after I got a new 2001 Bandit 1200 with the leaking piston ring issue.

By having the ability to at least somewhat self sufficient, I feel more comfortable riding this brand new , new platform into the out-of-the-way places I like to road trip to. I'm (and my wife) prepared for the financial loss due to depreciation. I plan to ride the wheels off this thing. I'm just preparing for the unknown things that will eventually become a "known issue with that model". Like the KLR doohicky, BMW F-series steering bearings, and Bandits that burn oil.

2024 Energica Experia

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 09:46:04 PM »

I wondered that also, a 315 ma fuse.

Can you just go to an AutoZone or something and pick one of those up or is that a special order?

2024 Energica Experia

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 03:51:54 AM »

Good one, that's going in the kit.

I know, only the most self important douche bags quote themselves...but...

I needed this 13mm spanner this weekend as my mirror came loose. It really saved my bacon.

Just popping in to say thanks for the tip.

2024 Energica Experia

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 05:06:38 PM »

Haha, you're welcome, thanks for letting us know. I myself have the mirrors always quite tight, but I remember the demos or loaners from the dealer always had mirrors becoming loose during driving, actually my first quick test ride in 2017 was on a green EVA with a loose mirror.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 07:19:56 AM »

You need to bang your bike up against something a few times, maybe even tip it over to bend those mirror posts, that way they won't get loose EVER again on you!  :D

Why is it though that the damned things DO always come loose, even when you lock the nuts down?

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 11:01:45 PM »

Why is it though that the damned things DO always come loose, even when you lock the nuts down?

Aaron

It looks to me like the mirrors are directional. One has regular and the other has left hand threads. The force the wind exerts on the mirror body seems to be in the direction that loosens the mirror. I can only imagine this is so any impact to the mirror in the direction of travel, like if you were splitting lanes and hit a car's mirror with your mirror, would loosen the mirror instead of transmitting unintended steering input to the bars.

2024 Energica Experia
Pages: [1] 2