• September 21, 2024, 01:48:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ribelle Race Kit  (Read 1609 times)

wadejesu

• View Profile

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Ribelle Race Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 11:33:32 AM »

From the pics you can see that there are some aerodynamic changes compared to our bikes:
Fenders front and rear plus the underbelly fairing - it's longer stretched toward the rear.
Front right side there is some odd fairing maybe for creating an extra strong flow of air towards the battery pack.
There is something mounted to the rear wheel axis/swing arm which looks like a chain tensioning.

I'm quite sure there is also lots of software tinkering involved - the battery will be optimised for performance, not longevity.

Probably @Pard knows more.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 12:30:47 PM »

https://www.rideapart.com/features/680007/energica-super-hooligan-racing-interview/

Mostly, we installed a kit that we used as a track kit for customers. So, it's mostly about front suspension [and] braking system, because on racetrack you need harder braking and continuous braking. So, you need consistent support of the braking system.

Then there is an ECU that gives different settings to the bike because electric is different than petrol. We have safety thresholds in the settings of the electronics that give us a little more freedom to play with on the ratio, compared to the legal bikes that have to be in a very, very strict, let's say, parameter setting, and it cannot go beyond [certain] values. And then speaking about temperatures, what are the limits, maybe limiting power due to some external heat, and so on. In that case, we have set the electronics to accept even higher values and give it a little more freedom for the user on track.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 06:02:22 PM »

https://www.rideapart.com/features/680007/energica-super-hooligan-racing-interview/

Mostly, we installed a kit that we used as a track kit for customers. So, it's mostly about front suspension [and] braking system, because on racetrack you need harder braking and continuous braking. So, you need consistent support of the braking system.

Then there is an ECU that gives different settings to the bike because electric is different than petrol. We have safety thresholds in the settings of the electronics that give us a little more freedom to play with on the ratio, compared to the legal bikes that have to be in a very, very strict, let's say, parameter setting, and it cannot go beyond [certain] values. And then speaking about temperatures, what are the limits, maybe limiting power due to some external heat, and so on. In that case, we have set the electronics to accept even higher values and give it a little more freedom for the user on track.

This is why I’m enamored with Moto-E, Formula-E, and other forms of electric racing. It seems like development of ICE vehicles has reached a point where it’s a game of inches. Electric feels like improvements will occur in larger increments. Not to mention it seems easier to level the playing field if that’s the desired outcome. Personally, I want to see the best technology win, not necessarily the best rider but I think I’m in the minority there.

Sorry for the ramble…it’s early in the morning for me.  ;)
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 09:03:11 PM »

Anybody know what kit they are referring to in this article?

https://www.energicamotor.com/us/news/energica-beats-outright-electric-lap-record-at-laguna-seca-by-stefano-mesa-aboard-an-eva-ribelle-rs-motorcycle/

The only "race" options available from Energica that I see on that bike, for the retail customer, seem to be Ohlins suspension and Oz wheels.

Energica does not offer specific brake upgrades, but one could always use aftermarket parts on the bike to bypass the ABS system, upgrade the calipers, pads, rotors and master. 

I am kind of surprised they are not running a left hand rear brake setup, but that must be the preference of the rider.  Some like it, some do not.

They put a steering stabilizer on the forks which is also an easy modification, but not offered from the factory.

The modifications to the mapping are not available to the regular customer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:05:35 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 09:16:54 PM »

The rear shock used on the race bike is not the one we can buy from Energica.  The Ohlins shock I have from Energica has a single damper knob at the bottom, similar to the stock shock, and preload adjustment.  No separate rebound and compression adjustment which IMHO is really essential.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 10:48:05 PM »

Guys, let’s not beat around the bush, they just took a motoE bike and mounted Ribelle fairings and steering.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 11:50:44 PM »

The electronics are also tweaked to give you more power as well and a higher top end.
As said earlier, they STILL have to hold back on the overall power distribution because most people don't have a clue how that all works and the DANGERS of hammering a battery too hard etc etc and will just, I WANT and I want NOW, and can potentially lead to a very bad day when a battery cell/pack decides to woof and the rest sympathetically follow behind because the short it created gave them a HUGE current path for them to dump.

The flames you see are the Hydrogen burning off from the runaway reaction in the battery and the flame spewing out is about 1800 degrees F or so.  The nice color you see is a combo of the Cobalt and Lithium in the fire.  Of course Nickel and Copper are playing as well but anyways..

You can buy a 'track bike' from them.  You'll need to inquire with them separately on that and they will build it for you i believe.  The thing is, this bike is for the TRACK, NOT street legal.  No lights, No Mirrors, No Turn Signals, and im pretty sure the foot pegs are missing or tied back as well on it.  It is opened up and will go pretty damned fast. 

ALSO, a bike that can do 125 is one thing, a bike that can do 165 + is another world at that point, you need MUCH better braking, a ton more energy going into it, when you get to those speeds, it's almost exponential, the energy / inertia you  need to put in, and hence take away to brake. 

You also need better tires that are rated to handle that speed, many of the 'standard' tires would fly apart from centrifugal forces. 

Finally shocks, at those speeds, things can  happen VERY fast, including a harmonic resonance, ie the aka death wobble / tank slapper if you had one,  if you bang a hard bump or decide to do a wheelie or something.  You need shocks with superb dampening that can take that in and take that OUT very fast within a few oscillations ideally.

The fairings are to help port the wind around the bike to cut drag, which is HUGE at those speeds.  I'll give you an example.  In the navy i was on a frigate, we had 2 - 25 000 HP jet engines for our propulsion.   One engine could push us to 25 knots,  to go from 25 to 30 we needed the entire second 25 000 Hp engine just for those extra 5 kph, because of the water drag, (which would be wind drag on a bike as an example)  there's sail area, and wind WILL be an issue, the fairings help tame that a bit.

It's a sweet ass bike though !!

Aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 12:04:04 PM »

Anybody know what kit they are referring to in this article?

The EVA was upgraded with components from the EGO corsa kit. You can find information about those parts here:
https://www.energicamotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/corsa-clienti-kit_en.pdf

In addition the bike uses the front and rear fenders from the MotoE bike. The front fender provides a bit more aerodynamic benefit is is secured with 1/4 turn DZUS fasteners for quick removal. The rear fender is wider to allow for fitment of the 6" rear rim and 200 size tire. The belly pan fitted to the bike is the same found on production EGO's. The class rules require a belly pan that is fluid retaining, the fairing has been modified to meet this requirement.

A left hand rear brake can be fitted but that is down to rider preference. Stefano Mesa is more comfortable using a foot actuated rear brake.

The swingarm is taken directly from a production bike. It has been modified to use a different style of chain adjuster, this allows changes to be made with a single tool from the rear of the bike
Similar to this https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/lightech-chain-adjusters-yamaha-mt-09-sp-21-22/

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 06:12:39 PM »

If they put a left hand rear brake actuator on, is the foot pedal still there for the brakes as well, or is the LH instead of?

Aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 04:01:47 AM »

If they put a left hand rear brake actuator on, is the foot pedal still there for the brakes as well, or is the LH instead of?

Aaron

If the left hand rear brake kit is fitted the bike retains the function of the foot lever.  The conversion requires changing the rear master cylinder to one that has a 2nd input.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 03:00:46 PM »

Awesome information!  Thanks @ Demoni

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 10:31:09 PM »

No mention of a price and I probably don't want to know.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 11:05:27 PM »

The Corsa Cliente shock seems to be different from the Eva race bike in Moto America use.

The reservoir is relocated on the Corsa Cliente bike and not on the MotoAmerica bike.

I suppose because they are different fairings on the two different bikes, one being an Ego and one being an Eva.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 11:07:07 PM by Pard »

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 02:50:16 AM »

The Corsa Cliente kit is not available to the public for the Ribelle, only the Ego.

https://www.energicamotor.com/us/energica-ego-corsa/
Pages: [1] 2