• September 21, 2024, 08:48:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experia "Key not in range"...again.  (Read 1229 times)

smithy

• View Profile
Experia "Key not in range"...again.
« on: July 31, 2023, 01:42:35 AM »

Hi All,
I use my Experia to commute to work and this morning I went to start the bike as usual, it came up with the silly "Key not in range" issue and promptly shut down, I tried several times with the same result, it just shuts down....my FOB lives in the Frunk and of course I cannot open the frunk unless the ignition is on, I wanted to at least try to change the FOB position and/or change the battery for the "4th time" since I've owned it....no dice. I had to use one of my other bikes to get to work...

I haven't set the PIN yet so I couldn't use that to start the bike either. Am now really regretting getting the keyless option. It's been nothing but a pain in the ar$e and will throw up the key not in range fault several times during a normal ride.

Rant mode off.

Smithy.

When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Experia "Key not in range"...again.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 01:52:06 AM »

That sucks!

You have the master key, so you can activate the bike by placing it against the fairing, correct?  I hope...

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 02:26:00 AM »

Hi All,
I use my Experia to commute to work and this morning I went to start the bike as usual, it came up with the silly "Key not in range" issue and promptly shut down, I tried several times with the same result, it just shuts down....my FOB lives in the Frunk and of course I cannot open the frunk unless the ignition is on, I wanted to at least try to change the FOB position and/or change the battery for the "4th time" since I've owned it....no dice. I had to use one of my other bikes to get to work...

I haven't set the PIN yet so I couldn't use that to start the bike either. Am now really regretting getting the keyless option. It's been nothing but a pain in the ar$e and will throw up the key not in range fault several times during a normal ride.

Rant mode off.

Smithy.
IIRC, the default pin is 0000.  That should work if you have not set it.  If that does not work, try 1234.

-Don- (headed back to Reno)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 05:29:37 AM »

That sucks!

You have the master key, so you can activate the bike by placing it against the fairing, correct?  I hope...

I do, but yet to try it....thanks for the suggestion....didn't really have time before leaving work this monring.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 06:03:06 AM »

Hi All,

Rant mode off.

Smithy.
IIRC, the default pin is 0000.  That should work if you have not set it.  If that does not work, try 1234.

-Don- (headed back to Reno)

Thanks Don...I did try 0000 but it just looked at me and said..."WTF".. :P I'll give 1234 a shot and see if that helps.

Smithy.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 10:14:31 AM »

Thanks Don...I did try 0000 but it just looked at me and said..."WTF".. :P I'll give 1234 a shot and see if that helps.

Smithy.
If possible, find out your dealer changed it. If you put in an incorrect pin code three times the bike will no longer accept any PINS. I forgot to tell you that, sorry.  But the fix is to get it within range of your FOB when that happens. If no working fob can be found, your immobilizer will need to be changed or the bike will not run again.

If the battery is dead in your FOB, you should still be able to use it as passive if you can get to it. The info. is in your owner's manual.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »

If you can get to your FOB (dead or alive) this info. here should be helpful.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 11:59:11 AM »

Oops I forgot to tell you the most important part  :-\  oopsie, but the good news is the part you now need to replace is only 400 dollars!! 

For the last number, also remember you may need to enter it then hold the button down a second or two for it to unlock.
Seems odd you need to change your battery yet again, have you checked the voltage on them to see if they indeed are dead or just changing them to be safe about it?  Many things can interfere with the key fob and it communicating with your bike.  Even fluorescent lights can cause issues, or even the led Peanut Bulbs can cause grief from time to time.

Why would you keep the key with the bike like that?  Someone could just walk up and ride off on it, or as you see, you can be locked out if something goes wrong.  I mean shit, if you are going to leave it on the bike, why not just tape it or velcro it right there ON the sensor, under the fairing???  That way if the battery dies, it's still in passive mode.  Yah, BOTH of those are bad ideas...

You should probably keep the passive key in the room where you park the  bike at, for quick access in cases like this.  The master can be tucked away in a drawer or something.

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 12:16:47 PM »

I know Smithy this is not what you want to hear ::) - but your experience (plus mine after 2 yrs keyless on the Ribelle) only confirmes my decision to skip keyless with the ExPee.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 09:37:12 PM »

I know Smithy this is not what you want to hear ::) - but your experience (plus mine after 2 yrs keyless on the Ribelle) only confirmes my decision to skip keyless with the ExPee.
I don't see why anybody would keep the FOB anywhere besides their own pocket, as it was designed for.

However, I managed to mess that up when I left my motorcycle pants in this house and drove a car to Auburn. But I still used the bike, by using the PIN number.

And the PIN number should be set the very first day you get the bike. Like I did.

I have no complains about the keyless system. But I do get the "out of range" message fairly often while riding. But I also get other messages such as "you may now disconnect the charging cable" And even "the bike is off, turn on to continue" as I am riding. I don't think the FOB message has anything to do with the FOB being in range, just as the other messages have nothing to do with what they say. Just FW bugs.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 09:41:35 PM »

Oops I forgot to tell you the most important part  :-\  oopsie, but the good news is the part you now need to replace is only 400 dollars!! 
Perhaps the FOB just has a dead battery. The real problem is finding a way to get to the FOB. The FOB will reset the PIN issue and then pins codes can again be used. Even if no battery in the FOB--using it passive should do the trick to reset and use pins again.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 01:39:04 AM »

Thanks to all for the freindly help and advice....When I got home after work, I was able to get the FOB out of the frunk by simply connecting the nanny charge cable as if to start charging, when the bike powers up to start charging, you can then open the frunk....simple really  ::)  ....I then did the master/passive key reprogramming as per the manual on page 27 thru 38, (as suggested), and all seems to be good now. I have set a new PIN code and it appears to work as intended...I tried it last evening by leaving the FOB inside the house and attempting to start the bike, it immediately told me my "key was not in range"....If you hold the ignition button down for 7 seconds it will then ask me for my PIN code and it worked fine.

I rode the bike to work this morning and I had no "key not in range" warnings. That's a first....normally it goes off at least 3-4 times during the 55km journey to work.  :o

Maybe resetting and doing the key programming again has sorted it..??

@Don, the FOB battery is fine and has actually been replaced 4 times now....with no change. The old battery still had 3.15v, so not "flat"....but I still replaced it again yesterday just in case.

Once again, thanks for all the help from everyone, it's greatly appreciated  ;D

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:53:37 AM by smithy »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 01:47:10 AM »

Thanks to all for the freindly help and advice....When I got home after work, I was able to get the FOB out of the frunk by simply connecting the nanny charge cable as if to start charging, when the bike powers up to start charging, you can then open the frunk....simple really  ::)  ....I then did the master/passive key reprogramming as per the manual on page 27 thru 38, (as suggested), and all seems to be good now. I have set a new PIN code and it appears to work as intended...I tried it last eveing by leaving the FOB inside the house and attempting to start the bike, it immediately told me my "key was not in range"....If you hold the ignition button down for 7 seconds it will then ask me for my PIN code and it worked fine.

I rode the bike to work this morning and I no "key not in range" warning. That's a first....normally it goes off at least 3-4 times during the 55km journey to work.  :o

@Don, the FOB battery is fine and has actually been replaced 4 times now....with no change. The old battery still had 3.15v, so not "flat"....but I still replaced it again yesterday just in case.

Cheers,
Smithy.
I sure am glad to hear you found an easy fix. From now on, keep the FOB in your pocket where it belongs! But I wonder why it stopped working from the frunk to begin with.  I removed the battery from my FOB to make sure it will work as passive. Did you try that also? 

The pin code should be set the first day you get a new bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 01:35:00 AM »

Hi All,

Just a follow up on this issue...I took my dealer's and everyone's advice from here and did the re-programming of the keys, FOB, master & passive...did a master reset and changed the battery in my FOB....so far so good...not had any of the same symptoms since.

@Don...I took your advice and now keep the FOB in my jacket pocket instead of the frunk, I've had no "key not in range" faults thus far in the ~300km since. I wonder if there's a bit too much EMF in the frunk where the top of the battery/wiring etc lives which may interfere with the FOB to sensor signal..?? Who knows..?? :o Anyway, seems to be fine now.

Thanks much to all for the help and advice....really appreciate it. ;D

Smithy.

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 10:23:43 PM »

Thanks to all for the freindly help and advice....When I got home after work, I was able to get the FOB out of the frunk by simply connecting the nanny charge cable as if to start charging, when the bike powers up to start charging, you can then open the frunk....simple really  ::)  ....I then did the master/passive key reprogramming as per the manual on page 27 thru 38, (as suggested), and all seems to be good now. I have set a new PIN code and it appears to work as intended...I tried it last eveing by leaving the FOB inside the house and attempting to start the bike, it immediately told me my "key was not in range"....If you hold the ignition button down for 7 seconds it will then ask me for my PIN code and it worked fine.

I rode the bike to work this morning and I had no "key not in range" warning. That's a first....normally it goes off at least 3-4 times during the 55km journey to work.  :o

Cheers,
Smithy.

Gladly I changed my order way back when and went with the normal key.  It doesn't really matter when you need to have the key for the cases on you to latch/unlatch them anyway.

I'm planning to add a manual frunk release cable to mine, you can see the actuator tucked up in there when you remove the left panel to check the coolant level.  Not sure if you could take the lower screws off and peel it back enough to reach in an emergency, seeing as they brilliantly put some screws inside the frunk.  (also what happens if you blow the fuse for the ECU for example, can't get to the fusebox either..)
Pages: [1] 2