• September 22, 2024, 05:41:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experia Powertrain Fault light.  (Read 857 times)

smithy

• View Profile
Experia Powertrain Fault light.
« on: July 11, 2023, 02:09:11 AM »

Hi all,
My Experia threw up a Powertrain Fault light this morning whilst travelling @100kmh on my morning commute to work. The dash message said "Undefined Fault" and the motor just shut down and I had to roll to a stop at the side of the motorway, luckily I was in the left most lane and I just rolled to a stop in the breakdown lane at the side of the motorway, I'm in Australia so we are right hand drive vehicles.

Everything else on the bike seemed to be functional, lights, indicators etc... I went to the "diagnostics" screen and it just said "Status OK" but the fault light was still on. I then turned the bike off and re-started it, the fault light was still there and the "Status OK" was still the same... but I was able to enable the motor and ride the bike normally after this.....albeit with the fault light still on.

I'm a little confused as the powertrain fault light is on but no fault codes show up when I go to diagnostics?? The only dealer in Australia is a 300km trip away from me and I fear this may happen again in a not so friendly place where I can just pull over to the side of the road safely. I'm a bit lost as to what to look for when there a no fault codes shown on the diagnostic screen. :-\

The SOC was also showing 100% and the remaining "distance till charge" was 500km....even after travelling 55km..!! It usually shows ~80% remaining SOC and remaining distance is normally ~240km. I might try a hard reset but who knows if the fault will return.?? :o

Any thoughts..??

Cheers,
Smithy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:45:56 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

PWM

• View Profile
Re: Experia Powertrain Fault light.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 05:22:18 AM »

Sounds like a fault handler software bug, have you tried the master reset?

Suggest once you get the fault to clear subject bike to a hard test-ride to see if you can induce the fault to re-occur but please be safe in your execution.

Obviosly mention this to dealer where purchased - they may suggest other diagnostics.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 05:32:38 AM by PWM »
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 07:14:09 AM »

Hi all,
My Experia threw up a Powertrain Fault light this morning whilst travelling @100kmh on my morning commute to work. The dash message said "Undefined Fault" and the motor just shut down and I had to roll to a stop at the side of the motorway, luckily I was in the left most lane and I just rolled to a stop in the breakdown lane at the side of the motorway, I'm in Australia so we are right hand drive vehicles.

Everything else on the bike seemed to be functional, lights, indicators etc... I went to the "diagnostics" screen and it just said "Status OK" but the fault light was still on. I then turned the bike off and re-started it, the fault light was still there and the "Status OK" was still the same... but I was able to enable the motor and ride the bike normally after this.....albeit with the fault light still on.

I'm a little confused as the powertrain fault light is on but no fault codes show up when I go to diagnostics?? The only dealer in Australia is a 300km trip away from me and I fear this may happen again in a not so friendly place where I can just pull over to the side of the road safely. I'm a bit lost as to what to look for when there a no fault codes shown on the diagnostic screen. :-\

The SOC was also showing 100% and the remaining "distance till charge" was 500km....even after travelling 55km..!! It usually shows ~80% remaining SOC and remaining distance is normally ~240km. I might try a hard reset but who knows if the fault will return.?? :o

Any thoughts..??

Cheers,
Smithy.
That is close to what happened to me. But I got a "U0110 DRIVE GENERIC ERROR".  It could take a few times of the bike being off and on for the MAL light to clear. Try turning the bike off and on about a half dozen times or so.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 12:19:19 PM »

I had the same error twice when accidentially engaging the kill switch while clumsily reaching towards the cruise control with thick winter gloves.

To erase the MIL you have to switch the bike four times into GO modus - at least that works for my Ribelle.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:47:33 PM by jotjotde »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 03:48:20 PM »

Here's an excerpt from the manual.
Remark: Has to be done after an SW update.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 01:38:11 AM »

Yeah...I have read this in the manual....it says "See diagnostic code section for more information on fault identification codes"..! The trouble is, mine doesn't have any fault codes stored, when I go to the "diagnostic" screen, it just says "Status Ok", if its ok why is the light on..??

This confuses me a bit, if the MIL has come on for any reason, surely there would be a fault code of some sort stored.??

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 03:00:12 AM »

Try starting and stopping the bike, a full turn on and turn off 4 or 5 times, that should hopefully clear it if there really is no fault.
id still call the dealer anyways and ask them for any suggestions, but of course you are probably going to get the typical, oh bring it in, but it's at least worth a shot.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 05:16:40 AM »

Yeah...I have read this in the manual....it says "See diagnostic code section for more information on fault identification codes"..! The trouble is, mine doesn't have any fault codes stored, when I go to the "diagnostic" screen, it just says "Status Ok", if its ok why is the light on..??

This confuses me a bit, if the MIL has come on for any reason, surely there would be a fault code of some sort stored.??

Smithy.
It's common for the MAL light to stay on after the error is gone for many vehicles. But it should clear if there is no more faults for so many ignition cycles. It's kinda telling you that there COULD still be an issue, even if not at the present time.

With many cars, what the code was can mean how many recycles are required after it will clear, if not cleared with an OBD2 reader.

-Don-
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 10:30:35 AM »

It's common for the MAL light to stay on after the error is gone for many vehicles. But it should clear if there is no more faults for so many ignition cycles. It's kinda telling you that there COULD still be an issue, even if not at the present time.

With many cars, what the code was can mean how many recycles are required after it will clear, if not cleared with an OBD2 reader.
-Don-

I did clear the MIL light this morning by turning the ignition on and off, enabling the motor 4 times before leaving for work....worked fine for about 50meters and the MIL light, "triangle" fault light and the ever present "Undefined fault" warning came up and I was once again left with no motor power and on the side of the road, turning the ignition off and back on again allows me to ride normally but still with the MILL light on.

Once I got to work, I checked again and there were no fault codes stored.....surely if both warning lights and the warning message are on, there would be at least one fault code stored...but alas no, it just says "Status Ok" in the diagnostic screen...I'm still none the wiser as to what the issue is. I contacted my dealer and he asked me what fault codes I was getting....It's hard to tell the dealer what the fault codes are when there aren't any stored.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 01:13:15 PM by smithy »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 10:43:26 AM »

I did clear the MIL light this morning by turning the ignition on and off, enabling the motor 4 times before leaving for work....worked fine for about 50meters and the MIL light, "triangle" fault light and the ever present "Undefined fault" warning came up and I was once again left with no motor power and on the side of the road, turning the ignition off and back on again allows me to ride normally but still with the MILL light on.

Once I got to work, I checked again and there were no fault codes stored.....surely if both warning lights and the warning message are on, there would be at least one fault code stored...but alas no, it just says "Status Ok" in the diagnostic screen...I'm still none the wiser as to what the issue is. I contacted my dealer and he asked me what fault codes I was getting....It's hard to tell the dealer what the fault codes are when there isn't any stored.

Smithy.
What I assume is happening (just a WAG) is that an "Undefined fault" is "undefined" so it has no code that can be set.  IOW, there is no number for whatever is happening. And since no error code exists for your fault, it is "status okay" even if you have a serious problem.

Hopefully, the dealer can figure it out with their test equipment.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 10:52:25 PM »

-Don-

Once I got to work, I checked again and there were no fault codes stored.....surely if both warning lights and the warning message are on, there would be at least one fault code stored...but alas no, it just says "Status Ok" in the diagnostic screen...I'm still none the wiser as to what the issue is. I contacted my dealer and he asked me what fault codes I was getting....It's hard to tell the dealer what the fault codes are when there isn't any stored.

Smithy.

Did the SOC and range remaining work themselves out, or is it still 100%?

On my Experia, the SOC and range estimate went goofy shortly after I used a somewhat questionable DCFC, but no faults or codes, ran normally other than no idea how much range I had left.  Luckily it was stuck at less than 100% so I could initiate a L2 charge once I got home.  The bike ran up then sat at 99% for about 4 hours till the SOC recalibrated and finally hit a real 100%.  Been fine since.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 11:20:43 PM »

On my Experia, the SOC and range estimate went goofy shortly after I used a somewhat questionable DCFC,
What was it that made the DCFC "somewhat questionable"?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

weck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 02:21:14 AM »

On my Experia, the SOC and range estimate went goofy shortly after I used a somewhat questionable DCFC,
What was it that made the DCFC "somewhat questionable"?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Aside from the screen being partially broken, the numbers displayed on the screen didn't seem to align with the SOC on the bike, really low power delivery rate and total power delivered displayed vs. how much charge the bike said it got, etc. It was only giving me something really low like 0.67 KW and said I only consumed 0.14 kwh over 25 min (those numbers alone don't jive), but I still picked up @ 20% battery in 25 minutes, which is closer to 4kwh.  The actual energy I put in with my L2 at home indicates I did actually get closer to 4kwh at the station despite what the charger said.

Other station I used there before was normal 20kw charge rate and the numbers made sense.

These are an older shell recharge location.  They are free so you get what you pay for I guess.

I'm in WI so our choices of DCFC is very slim pickings still.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 02:24:08 AM »

What I assume is happening (just a WAG) is that an "Undefined fault" is "undefined" so it has no code that can be set.  IOW, there is no number for whatever is happening. And since no error code exists for your fault, it is "status okay" even if you have a serious problem.
Hopefully, the dealer can figure it out with their test equipment.
-Don-  Auburn, CA

What you say could be a valid arguement....However, my dealer is a 300km trip away...getting to them and being able to ride home will be an issue, there are no compatible fast charge stations between my house and the dealer.... and 300km is a bit too far for the Experia.

I may have an option soon though, the main dealer is setting up a "partner workshop" a lot closer to my house and it will be between my work and home.... they will have the facilities and diagnostic equipment available for Energica motorcycles, so downloading the required info and sending it off to the Energica boffins to peruse will be a good thing to have available....unfortunately they're not fully set up as yet, probably a week or two off yet..

Smithy.

svelectric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 06:21:07 AM »

I have gotten a 'undefined fault" error several times in my 600 miles so far on my experia. It always happens at a stop light. No diagnostic code in the menu. Just the red exclamation. I turn it off and back on and all is well.
Pages: [1] 2