• October 01, 2024, 11:27:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tire TPMs (Tire Pressure Monitors)  (Read 2420 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Tire TPMs (Tire Pressure Monitors)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2023, 07:09:29 PM »

Likewise, I have the "screw-on" type sensors on all my vehicles, three bikes and two cars, never an issue, batteries are easily replaced as required. They're reasonably accurate too.

Smithy
I think I know why Garmin no longer makes the TPMS sensors. Just one of their sensors cost more than a complete GPS system these days.

I just added one of these on my Zero DSR/X. "Reasonably accurate"?  They are right on the nose, exact same PSI reading as my best tire gauges. And have very small wheel sensors that will not hit the brake calibers with the 90° valve stems that many motorcycles have these days.

The only people who will worry about these leaking are those who have never used such.  That even included me at first.

Tire experts say a decent sealed tire cap does more to hold in the air than does the tire valve. The tire valve is only there to hold the air for when we fill up the tires and caps should always be used.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Appreciate the review on this unit.  Will pick one up to compare to the FOBO.  May be better to have the readout display not tied to the phone.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2023, 11:22:19 AM »

do adding these devices unbalance the tires any?  I know that to fine balance a tire, they can staple as little as 1/4 oz onto it to fine tune it in some instances.  Throwing extra weight on it via the thingie, would that cause issues for you?

Just curious.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »

do adding these devices unbalance the tires any?  I know that to fine balance a tire, they can staple as little as 1/4 oz onto it to fine tune it in some instances.  Throwing extra weight on it via the thingie, would that cause issues for you?

Just curious.

Aaron
The small sensors in the one I mentioned above are too light to make a significant difference. You will not notice any difference. It's negligible. But older external ones such as pressure-Pro sensors were heavy enough to make some difference and those are best left on before balancing. Simply put a 1/4 oz weight on the opposite side and forget about it. Balancing weights can be found as light as 5 grams / 0.176 oz but I wouldn't bother with that with these small light TPMS sensors.  At least I never did.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:37:45 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2023, 01:27:15 AM »

Just curious.

Aaron
The small sensors in the one I mentioned above are too light to make a significant difference. You will not notice any difference. It's negligible. But older external ones such as pressure-Pro sensors were heavy enough to make some difference and those are best left on before balancing. Simply put a 1/4 oz weight on the opposite side and forget about it. Balancing weights can be found as light as 5 grams / 0.176 oz but I wouldn't bother with that with these small light TPMS sensors.  At least I never did.-Don-  Reno, NV

I leave the sensors on when balancing.....but as you mention, it's negligible. After balancing I removed the sensor whilst the wheel was still on the balancer, no change...so they're probably less than 5 grams.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2023, 04:24:01 AM »

The sensors do upset the wheel balance on my little Grom with carbon wheels.  No issues detected on the Energica wheels.  They have some weight to them, so it makes sense to balance the wheels with the sensors on.  Your wheel balancing apparatus factors in to this process as well.

Tested out the Sykik sensors compared to the FOBO.  I prefer the FOBO.

The additional hardware display unit required for the sykik is not a plus for me.  I ride with my phone visible on a mount, so I prefer to have the data displayed on the phone.  Having it on the phone also allows you to easily monitor any alerts you set regarding pressure parameters if you are using a helmet communicator system such as a cardo or the like.

They have identical readings both cold and hot, so accuracy is comparable.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:05:10 AM by Pard »

most

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2023, 11:33:26 AM »

@pard: How about the cap size of Fobo compared to Sykik?
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2023, 07:53:50 AM »

@pard: How about the cap size of Fobo compared to Sykik?

About the same size and weight. 

most

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2023, 12:01:20 PM »

Thanks, so this means they might not fit w/o turning the front valve by 45° in to avoid collision with the caliper.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2023, 02:36:33 PM »

Thanks, so this means they might not fit w/o turning the front valve by 45° in to avoid collision with the caliper.

They clear the calipers on my Rebelle.  No need to move the front valve to another position.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2023, 06:46:18 PM »

Update on the FOBO unit.  Be careful.  I suspect I had one of the pressure caps leak on me.

Front tire was at 20PSI this morning.  I thought I had a puncture, so I inspected the tire and found nothing.

Pumped it up and went for a ride.

Pressure was fine.  No drop at all over several hours.

My theory is that the FOBO TPM cap worked a bit loose and did not maintain the seal.  It felt plenty snug when I removed it to add air, so who knows.

Will snug it up before each ride from now on.

Note:  I am not using the lock nuts that come with the kit, which may be the cause of the problem.  Might be operator error and not an issue with the product.  Will put those lock nuts on.  They thread on to the valve stem below the cap and in addition to tightening the cap on to the stem, the lock nuts are tightened against the cap for extra security.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 07:08:58 PM by Pard »

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2023, 01:19:03 AM »

Update on the FOBO unit.  Be careful.  I suspect I had one of the pressure caps leak on me.

Front tire was at 20PSI this morning.  I thought I had a puncture, so I inspected the tire and found nothing.

My theory is that the FOBO TPM cap worked a bit loose and did not maintain the seal.  It felt plenty snug when I removed it to add air, so who knows.

Note:  I am not using the lock nuts that come with the kit, which may be the cause of the problem.  Might be operator error and not an issue with the product.  Will put those lock nuts on.  They thread on to the valve stem below the cap and in addition to tightening the cap on to the stem, the lock nuts are tightened against the cap for extra security.

I have 3 motorcycles with TPMS's on them, none of them leak and I don't use the locknuts either.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

T.S. Zarathustra

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2023, 01:47:49 AM »

I've used these screw on TPMS sensors in all my bikes since about 2015. They have never leaked. Pressure reading is accurate compared to my old gauge. Only issue I've ever had is the batteries in the senders running flat after about 30 thousand km. Now I replace the batteries in the senders when I replace the tires. Works perfect. I don't look at the display when riding, but it's reassuring to know I can confirm the pressure with just a glance. On one bike I got warning couple of times, display started flashing red with loud alarm, when temperature rose above set level.
On a scooter I felt a bit of unbalance after installing. Putting 5 gram glue-on weight on the opposite side fixed that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:55:59 AM by T.S. Zarathustra »

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2023, 03:11:26 AM »

Thanks to this thread, I ordered the Sykik TPMS off Amazon a little over a month ago and it has been great so far. Would purchase again.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 11:31:01 PM »

Changed the tire.  The tire was the culprit.   Pinhole leak in the rubber.  No leak in the TPM cap after all.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »

I have 3 motorcycles with TPMS's on them, none of them leak and I don't use the locknuts either.

Smithy.
I have 11 motorcycles and two RVs with external TPMS.

That is 34 tires with an external TPMS for many years.

I have yet to see even one TPMS sensor leak even the slightest bit.

Some air will be lost over the months, but that is the normal rate of loss just as with a valve and cap without a TPMS sensor.  The TPMSs that hold the valve in make NO difference at all.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X