• October 01, 2024, 11:34:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tire TPMs (Tire Pressure Monitors)  (Read 2421 times)

Pard

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:21:38 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Tire TPMs (Tire Pressure Monitors)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 07:05:21 PM »

First ride with these gadgets today.

Pros: Know exactly how your tire pressure is responding to the ride in terms of temp and pressure increase. Awesome! Helps me set pressure for a 10% increase in PSI cold to warm much more easily.

Tire temp is interesting to track.  Takes quite a while for them to get warmed up on the road.

Cons: Distracting. Don't like the impulse to take your eyes off the road to look at the app.

I worry that the air might escape from the tire since the sensor that replaces the cap is essentially pressing down on the tire valve and releasing the air to get a reading. The only thing maintaining air in that tire now is an o ring on the cap. Seems like bad idea.

Will ride it for a while and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 07:14:36 PM by Pard »

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 11:44:56 PM »

I worry that the air might escape from the tire since the sensor that replaces the cap is essentially pressing down on the tire valve and releasing the air to get a reading. The only thing maintaining air in that tire now is an o ring on the cap. Seems like bad idea.

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the description.

I wonder why Energica does not offer an integrated system. It would be nice to know the exact pressure, and even nicer to be warned of a sudden drop in pressure.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 12:27:29 AM »

Pard, i was looking for something just like this myself earlier, wanting to know what my tire pressure was.  Other systems, like on the cars and such i think they actually replace the entire core of the Schrader valve with a new type that has the sensor built into it so it pokes down into the tire and reads it there but is on the 'inside' of the valve seat so you are not relying on the cap to keep it tight.  As the tire rotates, the valve stem passes by a sensor, kind of like your key and sensor and sends the data to the vehicle to read your tire psi.

It may cost a few dollars more but you might find something blue toothy that might do that for you.

Yah this would be a real nice addition to the Energica bike however to be honest, I really prefer they fix some of the other buggy shit in their software first, like logging in with the secondary key or code, instead of adding new stuff that may be buggy as well.

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 08:25:14 PM »

Really liking this product.  Yesterday I was out in 90F temps and the real time pressure reading allowed me to see that the front tire was heating up too much.  Pressure went up to 43.5 PSIhot from a 39 cold, slightly more than 10% cold/hot.

Not dangerously excessive pressure increase, but enough to make me note that next time I should try a cold 40 PSI in the front.

Rear cold started at 36 PSI and stayed around 39.5 hot.  Perfect.

Too low a pressure cold, for a given set of conditions, makes the tire flex excessively and heat up too much. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:34:54 PM by Pard »

karlh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 01:15:13 AM »

You might look at the systems made by Sykik (https://sykik.com/).  They offer a Bluetooth system that screws on the valve stems like the FOBO system, as well as a system with internal sensors.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 01:49:20 AM »

You might look at the systems made by Sykik (https://sykik.com/).  They offer a Bluetooth system that screws on the valve stems like the FOBO system, as well as a system with internal sensors.

Thanks for the link.  Yes, this is a good option indeed.  The internal sensor eliminated the worry I have about the FOBO using the valve stem for a reading an potential failure point there.

The downside of this system is the need to mount another display.  That may be a good thing.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 07:01:15 AM »

Let's say one is adding 'new' lights, left, right, brake to a bike so needs a module that can detect slowdown or has a switch or something you can click for turn signal.  Like you are trying to make a bike street legal as an example.

Any suggestions on what to use?

Aaron

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 11:23:25 AM »

Quote from: Pard
Thanks for the link.  Yes, this is a good option indeed.  The internal sensor eliminated the worry I have about the FOBO using the valve stem for a reading an potential failure point there.

I think internal sensors are a much better option. Never really liked the idea of a plastic part screwed onto the valve stem being the only think keeping the air in. If you do run internal sensors make sure you mention that to your tire guy when you are getting new rubber installed.

Quote from: Specter
Let's say one is adding 'new' lights, left, right, brake to a bike so needs a module that can detect slowdown or has a switch or something you can click for turn signal.  Like you are trying to make a bike street legal as an example.

Any suggestions on what to use?

That question might warrant a separate thread. Also a little bit more information about what you are trying to accomplish and if you have a specific bike in mind.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 08:54:44 PM »

Demoni, in another discussion, we were talking about making a bike street legal, my friend got one of those new e dirt bikes, the storm is it???, that new electric one, and I mentioned something like this and he said, yah but you need an existing setup for it to wire into.  So yah, a stand alone system would be needed.

What I was more interested in is, Another application is making yourself much more visible especially at night.  Having a brake light / turn signal ON your helmet is a major way to do that, but ... some of those setups want you to install a control unit, cutting into the existing wiring of you bike.  I like the 'extra light' thing but don't want to be chopping into existing harness' to do so,  when you look at the Energica, it's a bit finicky about voltages / current draw etc, to begin with, not to mention warranty's, adding more things might not be the greatest idea here.

This would also be nice to have as an Emergency backup sort of... I had a turn signal go out on my bike, and it took some days to get the new one shipped to me.  Having something like this, you have full signalling again, are safe AND potentially avoiding tickets.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 01:16:59 AM »

Never really liked the idea of a plastic part screwed onto the valve stem being the only think keeping the air in.
A very unrealistic concern. I use them on all of my bikes and RVs for many years and I have yet to see one leak a drop. And even if it did, the TPMS would let you know there is a leak anyway.

I have used both, internal and external and I prefer the external, just so we can replace the batteries ourselves in a few minutes. 

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 03:16:39 AM »

Never really liked the idea of a plastic part screwed onto the valve stem being the only think keeping the air in.
A very unrealistic concern. I use them on all of my bikes and RVs for many years and I have yet to see one leak a drop. And even if it did, the TPMS would let you know there is a leak anyway.

I have used both, internal and external and I prefer the external, just so we can replace the batteries ourselves in a few minutes. 

-Don-  Reno, NV

Likewise, I have the "screw-on" type sensors on all my vehicles, three bikes and two cars, never an issue, batteries are easily replaced as required. They're reasonably accurate too.

Smithy
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 03:37:50 PM »

If you are worried about it leaking just put some loctite in your tire stems that'll seal them right up !   8)   ;D

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 10:48:03 PM »

Likewise, I have the "screw-on" type sensors on all my vehicles, three bikes and two cars, never an issue, batteries are easily replaced as required. They're reasonably accurate too.

Smithy
I think I know why Garmin no longer makes the TPMS sensors. Just one of their sensors cost more than a complete GPS system these days.

I just added one of these on my Zero DSR/X. "Reasonably accurate"?  They are right on the nose, exact same PSI reading as my best tire gauges. And have very small wheel sensors that will not hit the brake calibers with the 90° valve stems that many motorcycles have these days.

The only people who will worry about these leaking are those who have never used such.  That even included me at first.

Tire experts say a decent sealed tire cap does more to hold in the air than does the tire valve. The tire valve is only there to hold the air for when we fill up the tires and caps should always be used.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 01:48:12 AM »

Smithy
I think I know why Garmin no longer makes the TPMS sensors. Just one of their sensors cost more than a complete GPS system these days.

I just added one of these on my Zero DSR/X. "Reasonably accurate"?  They are right on the nose, exact same PSI reading as my best tire gauges. And have very small wheel sensors that will not hit the brake calibers with the 90° valve stems that many motorcycles have these days.

The only people who will worry about these leaking are those who have never used such.  That even included me at first.

Tire experts say a decent sealed tire cap does more to hold in the air than does the tire valve. The tire valve is only there to hold the air for when we fill up the tires and caps should always be used.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Have the exact same TPMS on my BMW S1000XR, works fine. Have a cheap ebay "solar" set on my other two bikes, Experia and Suzuki M109R...they also work well and rarely need charging unless I ride a lot at night.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Pages: [1] 2 3