• September 24, 2024, 04:27:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Flat Tire  (Read 304 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Flat Tire
« on: July 08, 2023, 02:36:57 AM »

So I ran over something that cut my back tire today.  Went down pretty fast.  Felt it getting fishy then the bike went into granny mode and would not let me really put much any power at all on it.  Dash lit up and went into traction cutout almost immediately if I tried to gas it.    Very slow power.  I pulled over and seen the damned tire was ass flat.  Unfortunately I had to ride about 3/4 of a mile on it to get somewhere safe to get the bike pulled over and off the road, riding on the flat tire, basically riding on the edge of it at this point as it was crunched down being flat.

A friend came by with a tire patch kit and we reamed and plugged the hole,aired it up and it looks good as new.

I can not see where any damage was done to the tire riding it flat like that.  I didn't tear it up or groove it or any visible damage that i can see, and the bead is holding, so that seems good to go.  The key word is VISIBLE damage.

Now I know tires are quirky but as a general rule, running it flat for about a mile, is that enough to wreck a tire and I should immediately replace it before it blows the walls out or blows for good or should it be good for general use.

The hole looked like a sharp rock or something punched a little slit in it, which reamed out nicely and plugged very well, so it's not like a huge gash out of the tire.

Is this somewhat safe to ride on or should I get a new one ASAP.

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Flat Tire
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 03:50:12 AM »

Years ago I got a flat rear tube-type tire while riding my 1997 BMW Funduro. I put a bottle of stop leak in the tube, but it didn't hold air for more than a mile. So i just tried riding for 10 miles back home on the completely flat tire. While the ride back was really scary and the tire smelled like burning rubber by the the time I got home, I was able to remove the rear tire (not an easy thing to do) to inspect it. The tire looked OK so I installed a new tube and rode on the tire for another few thousand miles. Based on my experience I don't think you will need a new tire if your plug doesn't spring a leak.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 04:12:45 AM »

Im hoping, but knowing the way i ride, I don't want to have this thing WOT and have the tire blow out because riding on the rim like that cut some of the cords or stuff I may not be able to see.

I know some things are ok with tires and you can keep running them and other things are not, like a sidewall hole,  you are done just get a new one.  Im not sure about a motorcycle tire, and given the nature of a cycle, don't want to chance THAT like I may be tempted to do in a vehicle.

Looking at it, it don't look like it'll be too hard to get the tire off.  loosen the axle nut, jack it up and take nut off slide axle out and it should drop out and drop the chain is kind of what I am seeing here.

I still think it's cool that the bike somehow seen I had a bad issue on the tire and killed off the throttle into a safe mode though.  Im thinking the traction control is what did that somehow.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 11:59:37 AM »

Aaron, please get a new tire! You are driving a high-performance bike and using a mended tire is saving money in the wrong place!

I think the traction control somehow registered the flat and thus reduced the motor output.
It would be interesting if the bike would have reacted in similar fashion on a flat front tire. When I got a puncture with my Zero last year, I only noticed it because of the wobbly feeling in the curves. No warning from the bike.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 02:59:51 PM »

Second that!
It‘s not only about keeping the pressure, the tire threads in the carcass also provides vital stability. So can you exclude that that protruding/cutting thing you passed did not damage any threads? Or if riding a flat tire did not do that?
Man, your’re not riding a 10mph senior wheelchair - so get a new tire ASAP!!!
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »

I have a new tire on order, ordered it the same day when i got home.
I knew yah no race track until this tire is replaced but was wondering for little putting around town, is it safe until the new one comes in or do I need to OOC the bike until the tire comes in?

I don't play games with tires OR brakes for that matter.  I don't run tires until I see thread, I run them until they get 'close' to the wear indicator, especially here in Florida where you can come up to standing water out of nowhere, you really WANT that channeling ability.  Hydroplaning a truck sucks, on a bike, I don't even want to think about it...

THanks for the inputs everyone.

Aaron
Pages: [1]