• October 01, 2024, 02:27:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Towing a SFR with this Black Widow trailer  (Read 489 times)

gstrub

• View Profile
Towing a SFR with this Black Widow trailer
« on: June 27, 2023, 01:56:52 AM »

I usually rent the Uhaul motorcycle trailer but that thing is huge and I need a one way rental which they don't do.

I just bought this:

https://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-motorcycle-hauler/p/SMC-600R/

Anyone with experience with it? Is this a terrible idea? I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot Limited with a 2" tow hitch.

LeverCommaJohn

• View Profile
Re: Towing a SFR with this Black Widow trailer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 03:28:08 AM »

I know that people have made those hitch carriers work in the past, but I've always been concerned about that much unsprung weight on the hitch. I'm sure the carrier *itself* is rated for 600lbs, but is your truck hitch rated for that much load, plus the weight of the carrier itself? Class III hitches are only rated to 800lbs. Class IV is 1200lbs, so probably has enough overhead for piece of mind.

*edit*: Based on my limited research, your Jeep may only have a Class II hitch, limiting it's tongue weight to only 350 lbs. In which case, carrying your bike on the carrier is out of the question.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 03:35:58 AM by LeverCommaJohn »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 05:10:10 AM »

I know that people have made those hitch carriers work in the past, but I've always been concerned about that much unsprung weight on the hitch. I'm sure the carrier *itself* is rated for 600lbs, but is your truck hitch rated for that much load, plus the weight of the carrier itself? Class III hitches are only rated to 800lbs. Class IV is 1200lbs, so probably has enough overhead for piece of mind.

*edit*: Based on my limited research, your Jeep may only have a Class II hitch, limiting it's tongue weight to only 350 lbs. In which case, carrying your bike on the carrier is out of the question.
And for every foot out from the end of the hitch receiver, reduce that capacity by 50%. And even a Class 3 hitch can be rated at 350 lbs on the vehicle so that leaves you with a total load capacity of 175 lbs on your 350 LBs hitch.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 05:13:09 AM »

I usually rent the Uhaul motorcycle trailer but that thing is huge and I need a one way rental which they don't do.

Why do you think Uhaul doesn't do one way trailer rentals?  I just looked online and would have no problem booking a 5' x 9' Utility Trailer With Ramp  from FL to CA.

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 05:16:27 AM »

Yeah, I’m canceling the order, it’s too heavy for this type of trailer in my vehicle. They don’t rent the motorcycle trailer from U-Haul one way you have to get the larger 5 x 9 trailer for a one-way. Looks like that’s what I’m doing.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 11:09:46 AM »

U haul does one way rentals,  check again.

also, towing weight and the BIG thing,  TONGUE WEIGHT / AXLE weight, one has to consider.

learn how to balance your load.

I will NOT recommend this to ANYONE but..

I used to own a 2005 Saturn, which I eventually traded in for my 2017 Silverado but...

I at times carried a trailer on it's hitch with over 3000 lbs of batteries in it.

The trick is, balance the load, it was pretty much ALL over the trailer axle, with about 40 lbs or so on the tongue.

The engine / tranny barely seen it.  The brakes now hmmm....
 NO you will NOT do 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds but after 255k  miles the car was really not really worse the wear from that.

If you balance the load properly you'll be fine.  given the overall thing should not weigh over 3k lb you don't need electric brakes and the standard axle etc works for your DMV reg too.

aaron

LeverCommaJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 03:46:17 AM »

Yeah, I’m canceling the order, it’s too heavy for this type of trailer in my vehicle. They don’t rent the motorcycle trailer from U-Haul one way you have to get the larger 5 x 9 trailer for a one-way. Looks like that’s what I’m doing.

Indeed, that is my U-Haul experience as well. The smaller motorcycle trailers are local only. If you do this with any regularity, there are some foldable trailers that are easily stored. It would be cheaper and more convenient.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 07:49:20 AM »

Uhaul does rent their small enclosed trailers one way.   You can just butt the front wheel against the front of the trailer.   You don't really need the wheel bump out of the open trailers.   I have hauled bikes in the back of my pickup truck often just by tying them to the corners.   There are tiedown points at each corner of the enclosed trailers too. 

Pages: [1]