• September 23, 2024, 06:24:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Issue with fast charging  (Read 479 times)

chisquare

• View Profile
Issue with fast charging
« on: June 10, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »

Yesterday, I was on a great day trip with my SS9 in the Swiss Alps. At the turning point in St. Moritz I headed for a charging point of Gofast. Normally very reliable and with under 60 cents per KWh less expensive than many other suppliers.

However, this time I got an error message during the initialization process on the dash as well as on the display of the charging station four times in a row. I still had some juice left and could have headed toward the second station in town by another supplier. I was afraid, though, that there would be the very same issue, as the error was attributed to the vehicle.

I then remembered that someone here has written that it is absolutely crucial that the plug is 100% flat/snug. Due to the enormeous weight of the cable (150 KW/h) there was the slightest of a gap on the type 2 part of the combo plug. I therefore held the cable in my hands during the initialization and in the fifth attempt negotiation finally worked and the charging started and went on normally.

Now, most of you may know that very well. I didn't until yesterday - which is why I considered the solution worth mentioning. (Sry for your time if this is old hat for you).

Cheers, Urs
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Issue with fast charging
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 08:03:23 PM »

I would recommend bringing a small bungee cord wrap maybe one of those 6 inch or 12 inch ones and keep it under the seat with you, that way you can kind of wrap it around the cable and the frame of your bike right there or something handy to hold the cable up as needed to take the strain off it.

While you may have got lucky that time, if the weak connection was on the ' im plugged in' node, it could have very well kicked the charge off thinking the thing unplugged on you and then you'd have to start all over again.  The bungee may help eliminate that problem.

This is kind of a design fault of the CCS type plug that the voltage is very low for some of the comms and any resistance really on the connection and it don't talk.  A higher voltage say 120 volts for example and it absolutely WOULD talk, it'll push right thru that.  Considering other aspects of it use PLC to chat, surprised they don't just do this anyways.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 09:07:53 PM »

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 04:11:42 PM »

EnergicaUK told me about this when I bought mine, the weight of the cable can tug it out of the socket just enough to cause a failure but only while initialising.

I usually hold the cable (Euro spec CCS plugs have a convenient handle) until the little tab comes up and if possible I'll orient the bike so I can prop the cable on the handlebar while charging.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 10:25:42 PM »

EnergicaUK told me about this when I bought mine, the weight of the cable can tug it out of the socket just enough to cause a failure but only while initialising.

I usually hold the cable (Euro spec CCS plugs have a convenient handle) until the little tab comes up and if possible I'll orient the bike so I can prop the cable on the handlebar while charging.
One trick that can work is to make sure the sidestand is away from the fast charger so the weight of the cable is more upward.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 11:42:52 PM »

[One trick that can work is to make sure the sidestand is away from the fast charger so the weight of the cable is more upward.

True, but it increases the risk of the bike being brought down if someone or you trip over the cable.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 04:57:48 AM »

They would have to wank on that cable pretty darned hard to bring a bike down.  Being more upright the thing should be PLAINLY more viewable / noticeable as well, not some sneaky little carpet crawler looking to trip your toes up.  That's a heavy thick ass cable, and when charging NOBODY really should be dicking around with the cables.  You never know when you might find a nick or tear in it and it zings you.  At 300 Plus volts, once it's running, don't play with the wires, that's just safety there.

On that though.....

WHAT the HELL are you doing poking around MY bike that close, getting tangled up in a charging cord to begin with, and getting entwined THAT MUCH ?  for the ass hat who sets your bike over.  You want to look at my bike, cool, but you can do so from NOT between the bike and cable assembly.

What the hell are YOU doing getting tangled in your bike cord while charging it, for YOU if you are dumb enough to try to straddle a 4 foot above the ground cord, or don't have the common sense to be UN entangled when setting the stuff up derp!!

These bikes are fairly heavy, the cables are fairly heavy, the kickstand can  handle quite a bit of load on it, probably even you sitting on the bike with the stand down as well, (although generally not recommended).  For the bike to be in a situation to topple that easily, you need to move that thing to a better place to park  it if it's balancing on a razors edge there.

Just sayin'

Aaron
Pages: [1]