• September 22, 2024, 02:00:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bullet Brake belly up (not the company :))  (Read 1195 times)

chisquare

• View Profile
Bullet Brake belly up (not the company :))
« on: June 04, 2023, 12:01:06 AM »

For electric motorcycles, the Bullet Brake is a great idea and must have accessory. However, mine went bad after only 6 weeks of very light use. No breaking effect at all any more. One day it was fine, the next dead. First sign that day was a dried brown stain on the upper side of the right fairing of my SS9 that looked like insect poop. Only after I realized that the Bullet Brake didn't work any longer it came to my mind that the stain was exactly under it. So obviously there was some leakage.

I contacted the seller and if there was no abuse, eg. sideways force, the BB will be exchanged under warranty. Yet my trust in it has taken a knock.

I know of only one (Energica) owner (Hans) who has had a problem with a BB and reported on it in his channel (Hans Hacks), but that issue was of a different kind and it was with the earlier version of the Bullet Brake.

Has anyone here had any issue with a BB?

Thanks, Urs
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:39:50 AM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Bullet Brake belly up
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 01:44:41 AM »

For electric motorcycles, the Bullet Brake is a great idea and must have accessory. However, mine went bad after only 6 weeks of very light use. No breaking effect at all any more. One day it was fine, the next dead. First sign that day was a dried brown stain on the upper side of the right fairing of my SS9 that looked like insect poop. Only after I realized that the Bullet Brake didn't work any longer it came to my mind that the stain was exactly under it. So obviously there was some leakage.

I contacted the seller and if there was no abuse, eg. sideways force, the BB will be exchanged under warranty. Yet my trust in it has taken a knock.

I know of only one (Energica) owner (Hans) who has had a problem with a BB and reported on it in his channel (Hans Hacks), but that issue was of a different kind and it was with the earlier version of the Bullet Brake.

Has anyone here had any issue with a BB?

Thanks, Urs
Yes. but do you have the latest version?  If there are markings on the thingy you press in to activate, you have the new one. If it is smooth, you have the old one.

If you have the old one, they will replace it for free just by asking, with no need to send the old one back.  BB's customer service is the best I have seen anywhere.

If you have the new one, BB as well as I will be very disappointed, and they will want to know. I have not yet had a failure on any of my new ones. I had 3 out of four failures on my first four BBs.  He replaced mine with all new versions for free, no cost, not even postage, to me.

In fact, I have had four out of five failures as the very first one they sent me did not work at all, which was very confusing because I thought I was doing something wrong. But BB made good on everything. Their first design had a seal problem that is now fixed.

The new design is very reliable, from what I can tell so far.

Send an email to:

mark@bulletbrake.com

He is a very nice guy and just explain there your issue.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 03:41:14 AM »

Thanks, Don, for your experience and the contact information. As I have purchased the Bullet Brake from the Swiss importer, I guess I will send it to them.

Since the purchase was only two months ago I am pretty positive that it's the new version. Still, could you please describe where exactly on the new version there should be markings: On the flat side of the knob, on its rim, or on the shaft?
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 06:00:44 AM »

Thanks, Don, for your experience and the contact information. As I have purchased the Bullet Brake from the Swiss importer, I guess I will send it to them.

Since the purchase was only two months ago I am pretty positive that it's the new version. Still, could you please describe where exactly on the new version there should be markings: On the flat side of the knob, on its rim, or on the shaft?
The markings are on the flat side of the knob.

Edit: The first new one in the photo shown was still in the package:

Now removed:

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 06:07:04 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 01:56:10 PM »

Thanks! Looks like I got a V1 lemon :(.
Will contact mark@bulletbrake and ask about how to best proceed.

Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »

Thanks! Looks like I got a V1 lemon :( .
Will contact mark@bulletbrake and ask about how to best proceed.

Yep, you have the old one that has the very high failure rate.

I am sure Mark will take care of you the best he can.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:01:25 PM »

Thanks for your help, Don. Much appreciated!
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 02:34:22 AM »

Oh man, from the title I was afraid the company is no more! I've had an issue once back in 2020 on my Zero SR/S when someone hit it and the bullet brake needed to be replaced.
I've got great experience with the company and I believe it should be a factory standard on all electric bikes since they cannot be put" in gear".
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

chisquare

• View Profile
Re: Bullet Brake belly up (not the company :))
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 11:49:10 AM »

Changed the title :). The company seems very much alive. In fact, when I contacted Mark by e-mail, as DonTom has suggested, he answered on Sunday and offered to send out the new version without me needing to send in the defective older one. This is great commitment and excellent service. I now hope that with the new version all issues are gone.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 12:37:09 PM »

Changed the title :) . The company seems very much alive. In fact, when I contacted Mark by e-mail, as DonTom has suggested, he answered on Sunday and offered to send out the new version without me needing to send in the defective older one. This is great commitment and excellent service. I now hope that with the new version all issues are gone.
When I first saw the title, I too thought you meant the company.

Yeah, I expected Mark would do such. I doubt you will ever have an issue with the new version of the BB. At least I haven't.  I have three of them in use right now. I still have an older version on one of my Zeros, waiting for it to crap out. That was why I still had that new one still in the package. Mark sent me all new ones at no cost, even replacements for 3 that were still working at the time. But two of those did crap out since then. I am waiting for one more to crap out before I have all four as the new style.

I don't know how anybody can get by without the BB on an electric motorcycle. Can even be used as a hill hold at a red light on a hill and stuff like that. Mine gets a lot of use, because a lot of hills in the areas I live. Even my own driveway here.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 06:36:18 PM »

As promised, Mark sent me a v2 as a free replacement. He also paid the shipping costs, which are quite high for Switzerland. Yesterday I had the new version installed. So far it works perfectly - as did the v1 for some time. I hope that the problem is finally fixed in v2. Will keep you updated. A big thanks to Mark and to Don for providing the contact information!
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 03:11:54 AM »

Going to install my Bullet Brake, and I see that there is not enough clearance between it and the bodywork at hard right stop of the handlebars.  I guess this means I'll have to rotate the bars slightly to eke out enough space, and reposition controls and mirrors.   >:(

Have others had this problem?  Is there some inconsistency in assembly where handlebars are positioned differently?  I know this is a hand-built bike just for me, but Energica never had me over for a fitting prior to assembly hahaha.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 08:09:05 AM »

You can't just loosen something and move it slightly to slip it in or wiggle something over a tiny bit?

Aaron

Commodore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »

Handlebar rotated; perches moved; Bullet Brake installed.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »

I have to do the same thing for a Ram Mount for my phone / gps whatever I want to put in there.  the handlebars rest right over the hole for the handlebar fork, so had to remove them to get it in there and tighten it down.

Let us know how the brake is working for you.

??

How do you release it, do you have to twist or turn it or something or if you pull on the brake will that release it?

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2