• October 01, 2024, 08:37:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Experia dies on freeway  (Read 2681 times)

most

• View Profile
Re: Experia dies on freeway
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2023, 09:49:41 AM »

Guys, the CC is as old as Energica sells bikes and all the same very simple to get a workaround.
Either use the DIY solution to relocate the CC button (or if, you prefer, both CC & SET).
Or buy the ready-to-install solution. Installation still remains with you.

No debate here that the fix has to come from Energica, but I accepted what I couldn’t change and changed what I didn‘t like.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2023, 10:47:56 AM »

Guys, the CC is as old as Energica sells bikes and all the same very simple to get a workaround.
Either use the DIY solution to relocate the CC button (or if, you prefer, both CC & SET).
Or buy the ready-to-install solution. Installation still remains with you.

No debate here that the fix has to come from Energica, but I accepted what I couldn’t change and changed what I didn‘t like.

I ordered a CC conversion kit for my Experia from here..:   https://www.motoraldasse.ch/Energica-3d-printed-parts

Very nicely made, (the carbon version is very spendy though). Unfortunately it doesn't work on my Experia, although the connection plugs are identical, I'm suspecting the wiring pinout may be different to the other Energica machines, apparently I'm their first Experia customer. I'm in contact with them to try and sort it out and I suspect it will be a relatively easy fix, possibly just swapping a couple of wires around to suit.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2023, 12:41:33 PM »

Apparently it's very easy to agree on the shittiness of the CC buttons location  ;D

@smithy: On Hans Capelle's blog he describes how he found the right pins. https://hans2183.hcpl.be/2022/09/06/energica-cruise-control-button-relocation/
Probably you just need to cut and reconnect two wires for your new switch to work properly.

A second-best solution would be to exchange the function of SET and CC. The (now) SET-button is easier to reach and has more distance to the killswitch. That should be relatively easy to realise and does not require additional buttons.
Just food for thought...

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2023, 08:25:31 PM »

I also had the issue where my Ego would die, and give an "Undefined fault: contact service" message. I had it serviced under warranty, and hasn't happened since.
2020 Energia Ego

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2023, 01:21:46 AM »

Apparently it's very easy to agree on the shittiness of the CC buttons location  ;D

@smithy: On Hans Capelle's blog he describes how he found the right pins. https://hans2183.hcpl.be/2022/09/06/energica-cruise-control-button-relocation/
Probably you just need to cut and reconnect two wires for your new switch to work properly.

I suspect you're right re the wiring cut/reconnect. I have seen that info from Hans....it's for a SS9 by the looks...the CC wiring on the Experia is in a totally different location compared the the "normal" bikes.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »

The wiring on the Experia is even easier to locate - just left from the steering head bearing. It doesn’t require any disassembly! You can even see the connector coming from the switch unit and going into the rest of the bike‘s harness.

I spoke with my dealer about this mod back in 2020. He mentioned that Energica is quite sensitive against „modifying the harness“ when you want to claim any warranties. That‘s why it is recommended to add a 10cm cable extender and to split those two (only CC) or three (CC & Set) cables.
See my pictures: One shows the extension, ready to be modified. The other shows the result including shrink tube & isolation just before installing it on the bike.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2023, 01:46:50 PM »

@most: Looks very professional! 5 Stars! I always prefer plug&play solutions. Where can I order this  ;D

cscherer@bluewin.ch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 02:39:45 PM »

@Don: I had the same experience on my eva ribelle some weeks ago. But I could reproduce the shut down. I then switched to the ECO mode and managed to drive home. After calling the dealer about the problem and him contacting energica they immediately diagnosed a faulty temp. sensor and replaced the the whole battery (the 3rd battery within a year...)

Hopefully it never happens again and the cause of your shutdown is not a temp. sensor of the batt.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 04:08:40 PM »

Today, going north on Hwy 395, about five miles north of here, I am riding at around 65 MPH and the motor dies with no advance warning! At least I was at a very safe place when it happened. The screen said something like " Undefined fault--see dealer" (perhaps not the exact words). So then I check the bike's diagnostics and it says "All Okay" but the Mil (motor symbol) is still on the screen. I turn the bike off and on several times, and no more motor symbol on the screen and no more issues. I still completed the ride, more than 100 miles / 161 KM more with no issues and no more errors just as if nothing ever happened.

I rode up to here and then to Lake Davis and back home (Reno). No more issues at all.

But it is kinda scary to know the bike can die at any time with no warning. This has never happened to me before on either of my Energicas.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I've seen this a couple times on my Ribelle, but usually when it's got jarred hard (crater pothole, unexpectedly sharp bump), unusual for it to just happen without prompting.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 03:59:38 PM »

I've seen this a couple times on my Ribelle, but usually when it's got jarred hard (crater pothole, unexpectedly sharp bump), unusual for it to just happen without prompting.

TBH, knowing the reason for a shutdown doesn't make it less scary to me. Didn't you get into big troubles when this has happened?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:10:34 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 08:17:53 PM »

TBH, knowing the reason for a shutdown doesn't make it less scary to me. Didn't get into big troubles when this has happened?

It's only happened to me at low speeds and it's been possible to just pull over and restart the bike which clears it.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 09:21:20 PM »

Fortunately!
But how can a hit/bump at a rather low speed cause the bike to shutdown? Not too much g force. Could it be an intermittent contact? A shutdown for safety reasons doesn't make sense as the consequences of a power loss can be quite severe especially when it happens while cornering.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2023, 10:36:53 PM »

Maybe you didn't exactly bang it at low speed, low impact, just didn't realize it because of your positioning.

Ive slammed some potholes and been like oh god dammit my ass!!  Then when I am paying attention and get up on my legs to go over them and use my knees as the shock absorbers, don't notice them nearly as bad, but you KNOW the bike is feeling it.  maybe not as much because it's not having to counter your body weight along with the G force of the shock as well but it feels it.

Just two wild guesses pulling out of my ass....

The tip over switch momentarily flips from the jar, but since it's only a brief second, the 'error' flags, but not the 'cause' as it went away before it could figure out what specifically gave the 'error flag' so you get the gen / unspecified shutdown?

second rabbit out of my ass.... is there an over current shutdown on the motor / and or inverter.. say like it stalled or something?  ....  Think of the motor as sort of kind of like a fancy VFD, or a Servo with an infinity travel limit given it's regen capabilities.  When you brake a servo, it's velocity is generating power and that power MUST go somewhere or you pop control cards!.. in this case you hit a hard bump it even if it's only a few RPM give the gear ratio, it slams the motor for a quick WHEEEEEP !!  that sends a current spike back, and if it exceeds that 483amps, or whatever it is set to... bing, you get a shutdown... again, since it's so fast, it can't tell what caused it so general error fault.  I have actually seen something similar in my past due to a misaligned travel rail, that 'bump' as it spanned track lengths was enough to cause this.

Since I don't have a clue how any of their power handling logics work,... needle, meet haystack...  :)

It sounds good so IM running with it!!!    why not, politicians run with total BS all the time heh.

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2023, 02:43:24 PM »

Low speed being 30 for a bastard pothole and about 40 for a sharp bump on a single-track road. Worth noting that in 13500 miles it's only happened twice and both of those were when the bike was jarred pretty hard by unexpected road conditions.

I expect, as Specter mentioned, that it was some kind of sensor rather than a wiring issue.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2023, 10:22:18 PM »

Low speed being 30 for a bastard pothole and about 40 for a sharp bump on a single-track road. Worth noting that in 13500 miles it's only happened twice and both of those were when the bike was jarred pretty hard by unexpected road conditions.

I expect, as Specter mentioned, that it was some kind of sensor rather than a wiring issue.
Perhaps it activated the tip-over sensor. But it was a smooth road where my Experica died. But I think I was reaching for the CC at the time.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X