• October 01, 2024, 08:39:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Experia dies on freeway  (Read 2682 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Experia dies on freeway
« on: May 29, 2023, 07:55:24 AM »

Today, going north on Hwy 395, about five miles north of here, I am riding at around 65 MPH and the motor dies with no advance warning! At least I was at a very safe place when it happened. The screen said something like " Undefined fault--see dealer" (perhaps not the exact words). So then I check the bike's diagnostics and it says "All Okay" but the Mil (motor symbol) is still on the screen. I turn the bike off and on several times, and no more motor symbol on the screen and no more issues. I still completed the ride, more than 100 miles / 161 KM more with no issues and no more errors just as if nothing ever happened.

I rode up to here and then to Lake Davis and back home (Reno). No more issues at all.

But it is kinda scary to know the bike can die at any time with no warning. This has never happened to me before on either of my Energicas.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Experia dies on freeway
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:23:31 AM »

Today, going north on Hwy 395, about five miles north of here, I am riding at around 65 MPH and the motor dies with no advance warning! At least I was at a very safe place when it happened. The screen said something like " Undefined fault--see dealer" (perhaps not the exact words). So then I check the bike's diagnostics and it says "All Okay" but the Mil (motor symbol) is still on the screen. I turn the bike off and on several times, and no more motor symbol on the screen and no more issues. I still completed the ride, more than 100 miles / 161 KM more with no issues and no more errors just as if nothing ever happened.

I rode up to here and then to Lake Davis and back home (Reno). No more issues at all.

But it is kinda scary to know the bike can die at any time with no warning. This has never happened to me before on either of my Energicas.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Hmm...disconcerting at best.....I've not had anything similar and I commute to work and back via a 100kmh/60mph motorway every week day on my Experia. All I get is the increasingly annoying "Key not in range" warning.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 02:50:48 PM »

Shakes your confidence in the bike and makes future rides that much less enjoyable.  Very unfortunate. 

What if that happens in a remote area with no cell coverage and the bike does not start up? 

Let us know what the dealer tells you.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 08:46:50 PM »

[Hmm...disconcerting at best.....I've not had anything similar and I commute to work and back via a 100kmh/60mph motorway every week day on my Experia. All I get is the increasingly annoying "Key not in range" warning.

Smithy.
I also have been seeing that more and more, once or twice yesterday. I think nothing of it.  I just hit the mode button once and the message is gone. I don't let small things like that bother me. The same goes fr the "needs service" indicator on the screen which I expect to have for the life of the bike. I also have that symbol on my Moto-Guzzi. Been on for years.

But dying unexpectingly when on the freeway can be very dangerous in some areas. But it has only happened this once in more than 1,000 miles/1,600 km.

BTW, when it died, there was no regen, so it coasted fine to a stop.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 09:01:05 PM »

What if that happens in a remote area with no cell coverage and the bike does not start up?
I won't leave home without my Spot Messenger, that calls a tow truck via satellite. I also carry an in-Reach so I have communications and can send text messages via email using satellite. Or send a message to a cell phone when I am NOT is a cell coverage area.

So I have all that well covered.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 10:17:42 PM »

Had the same thing happen on my Ribelle a few times. But it was mid turn so was quite sketchy. Ended up having the bike serviced under warranty and haven't seen any issues since. I think if it keeps coming back you should take it for the dealer to pull logs.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 12:46:32 AM »

Had the same thing happen on my Ribelle a few times. But it was mid turn so was quite sketchy. Ended up having the bike serviced under warranty and haven't seen any issues since. I think if it keeps coming back you should take it for the dealer to pull logs.
If it happens again, I will need to do such. I will write this one off as a fluke for now.

I am thinking of the weird possibilities, such as somebody using a transmitter form a nearby car and stuff such as that. RF confusing the bike's computer or whatever.

Anyway, more than 100 miles after that happened yesterday and with no more issues at all.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 06:58:38 AM »

I connected up my OBD2 reader to the port on the Experia. To my surprise, it works. Had the error code in memory. My reader said " U0110 Lost Commnications from drive motor controller module."

When I look "U0110" up in the Experia Owner's manual, it says:

"U0110 DRIVE GENERIC ERROR"

Looks like my OBD2 reader gives a better explanation than the Experia manual.

BTW, anybody manage to get a shop manual for the Experia yet. in PDF or other?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

most

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 11:02:48 AM »

I had U0112 „Lost communication with battery module“ in the midst of a ride. Same symptoms, the bike was coasting. However it did not start up again, the error remained and riding on was not possible. 1.600km on the clock. The bike was transported to my dealer (luckily only an hour away), Energica engineers drove up to Hannover/Germany from Modena. They reported an issue with the bus bars and did not want to disassemble the whole battery block as it might be on of the lower connectors - so for convenience the swapped the whole block.
Since then, I made another 600km w/o any issues.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:06:08 AM by most »
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 12:18:40 PM »

Don, I know you are an experienced rider, but any chance you might have unvoluntarily hit the killswitch?

That happened to me twice when clumsily trying to engage the cruise control with winter gloves, once while overtaking. Nearly soiled my pants then  :o
The CC button re-location to the left side is the #1 on my to-do-list.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 12:42:26 PM »

Don, I know you are an experienced rider, but any chance you might have unvoluntarily hit the killswitch?

That happened to me twice when clumsily trying to engage the cruise control with winter gloves, once while overtaking. Nearly soiled my pants then  :o
The CC button re-location to the left side is the #1 on my to-do-list.
That is a possibility, because I was trying to activate the cruise control just before that happened. However, I did a test later to use the kill switch while riding. I then got no error message, but the bike died, unlike the time it died on me without knowingly touching the kill switch with the error message. So I then assumed that had nothing to do with why it died. But I cannot say I am sure about anything.

Did you get an "undefined fault" message when you hit your kill switch by accident?  Did you get an error code of U0110 in memory? Motor symbol on the screen that it took three or four restarts to get rid of?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 01:58:30 PM »

Don, on the first occasion I had the 'Undefined Error' message, but no MIL lamp.After switching off and on again, the message was gone.
The second time I tried to immediately toggle the bike to GO modus while coasting so I did not really pay attention to the screen.  ;)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2023, 05:53:12 PM »

I was getting Left Turn Signal faults on my bike, and then they would not work until I turned the bike off then back on.
Happened more and more until I finally tore it down to find that there was a loose wire in the turn signal so I tightened it all  back up and it's been fine since.  Sometimes it'd say left, sometimes it'd say right turn signal.  I found that most often the problem would / could happen if I blipped the turn signal button very fast, like when going from a left to a right turn and your finger slips off the button, it gave the bike a micro momentary command, and that generated the fault.

The cause of that loose wire I am sure was me, on the day I brought the bike home from the dealer, the fucker did not strap it down good in my trailer and by the time i got home it was on it's side IN the trailer on the turn signal.  I ordered a new signal, but being these bendy flexy things they are, I opted to just take the guts out of the new one and new lens and put it in the old one.  I should have tore the WHOLE thing out to inspect.. MY BAD.

NORMAL people don't operate that way, even in a hurry.  Im wondering if it seen that 'blip' on the command line and said hmm that was way too fast for a person, better throw a fault just so the rider knows something might be brewing up. 

Could you have accidentally grazed the kill switch, not even a complete 'engage' but a tiny brush into the other state and that could have triggered it?

I don't have a schematic of their logics so can't say for sure but often times on critical circuits, there is a state monitoring.  The run switch must be ON, so just a millisecond lifting it off that ON connector, you didn't even have to move it to the off connectors yet to make OFF contact, just lifted it off the ON pads, and that'd be enough to say ok we do NOT have a RUN signal, that's a deal, shut it down.  Bumping it / banging it / just wiggling it with a finger or a big fat glove enough to take it off the run might be enough to throw the fault, but since it was so fast, it did not latch the fault to be able to tell you exactly what triggered it?

What exactly were you doing when it happened and what was the weather like?

This IS a serious thing here and if it IS a problem we need to figure it out sooner rather than later when something bad happens to someone.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 09:37:43 PM »

Could you have accidentally grazed the kill switch, not even a complete 'engage' but a tiny brush into the other state and that could have triggered it?
Yes, that is very possible. I think it is too much of a coincidence that I tried to engage cruise at about the exact same time. But I was wearing very thin gloves at the time because it was warm. But that doesn't prove I didn't just barely hit the kill switch.

If this is the case, it's nice to know that it will never happen in heavy traffic as we will not then be trying to engage the cruise control.

-Don-   Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 05:23:55 AM »

The placement of the cruise control really sucks TBH, it's a pain in the ass to reach it and with the throttle being as stiff as it is, it's kind of cumbersome to get initially set IMO.  Throw on some heavier protective gloves and you got a bit of an issue there.

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3