• September 23, 2024, 04:34:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Key not in range issue.  (Read 1522 times)

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
Re: Key not in range issue.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »

I want to update to 042 especially because of the smaller speed difference, but now I'm having second thoughts as my keyless is pretty flawless.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2023, 01:25:39 AM »

Another way, for those who it bothers, is to use the PIN number instead of the FOB.
I just don't see the big deal about seeing that "key not in range" message and hitting the mode button once to get rid of it.
-Don-  Reno, NV

I agree with you...and I wouldn't mind so much if it were just the "once" during a ride....but it occurs 6-7 times during a single 50km ride to work...and becomes rather bothersome to keep hitting the mode button all the time, takes my attention away from the road for a second when the warning happens. I've tried putting the fob in my jacket pocket, left & right, pants pockets, Frunk etc...seems to make little to no difference.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2023, 01:38:00 AM »

I agree with you...and I wouldn't mind so much if it were just the "once" during a ride....but it occurs 6-7 times during a single 50km ride to work...and becomes rather bothersome to keep hitting the mode button all the time, takes my attention away from the road for a second when the warning happens. I've tried putting the fob in my jacket pocket, left & right, pants pockets, Frunk etc...seems to make little to no difference.
You should only see it once per ride at the very most and only before you press in the mode button. Something there doesn't sound right.

I do not recall ever seeing it after I push in the mode button unless I stop and restart the bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2023, 05:49:01 AM »

You should only see it once per ride at the very most and only before you press in the mode button. Something there doesn't sound right.

I do not recall ever seeing it after I push in the mode button unless I stop and restart the bike.
-Don-  Reno, NV

One thing I do notice after hitting the mode button to get rid of the warning...is a tiny "key symbol" next to the clock in the upper left of the TFT....this must indicate there is an error with the key fob or the pick-up ring I suspect.?? Before I get the error message the little key symbol isn't there.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2023, 10:46:03 AM »

If it would be pressing only once then I could accept it. However most of the times I had to press it EVERY DAMN TEN KMs! And the message managed to cover the display in hectic city traffic situations where I just wanted a glance at the speedo…
Plus, my Ribelle did not start on the fist push but required a changing combination of 2-3 longer/shorter pushes.

From how I see things, I did not pay a those 393EUR on a function that is unreliable and annoying.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 06:15:32 PM »

It IS kind of amusing that one would go for a keyless option, only to carry a key anyways to charge the thing :D

Food for future upgrades.
Make an App where I can start / stop / lock it from my phone.  Phones have a 'close in comms' feature that only works to about 8 feet or so, hell even wifi, app running on my phone I get in range, tap a button on the phone and bike unlocks.  They'd have to re enable the bikes bluetooth but that shouldn't be that hard to do. 

Or maybe, an electronic suppository that the rider can stick up their ass, so everytime they get on the bike, it senses them and unlocks.  Unless you are in prison, or Cali, theft of that key should not be an issue :)

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2023, 01:38:55 AM »

It IS kind of amusing that one would go for a keyless option, only to carry a key anyways to charge the thing :D

Food for future upgrades.
Make an App where I can start / stop / lock it from my phone.  Phones have a 'close in comms' feature that only works to about 8 feet or so, hell even wifi, app running on my phone I get in range, tap a button on the phone and bike unlocks.  They'd have to re enable the bikes bluetooth but that shouldn't be that hard to do. 

Or maybe, an electronic suppository that the rider can stick up their ass, so everytime they get on the bike, it senses them and unlocks.  Unless you are in prison, or Cali, theft of that key should not be an issue :)

Aaron

Don't need a key for the Experias to charge, they have a charge port flap on the right side, so no need to lift the seat like the other Energicas. The Experia, does'nt have a bluetooth or Wifi module, so one would need to be "retrofitted" for an app to be of any use.

Smithy.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 01:51:47 AM »

I just don't see the big deal about seeing that "key not in range" message and hitting the mode button once to get rid of it.

-Don-  Reno, NV

The thing is that i get that message at least 4-5 times every commute, twice a day (somewhat less frequent when riding in less dense traffic, such as hitting twisty roads on a sunday). The message gets in the way of reading the dash frequently when filtering or in busy traffic, which simply isnt an option when i can avoid it as easily as using the passive key.

For me, the "key" of the "keyless" is not really leaving the key in the pocket at all times, but not risking to leave my keys on the bike, having the keys or bike stolen or lost, or having to disconnect the bike keys from the chain every ride. Not saying i would not prefer the fob working, but the passive key is still much better than an actively keyed bike. Using the code for starting is just too slow to make any sense except in the event that the keys got lost or stolen.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 02:20:48 AM »

The thing is that i get that message at least 4-5 times every commute, twice a day (somewhat less frequent when riding in less dense traffic, such as hitting twisty roads on a sunday). The message gets in the way of reading the dash frequently when filtering or in busy traffic, which simply isnt an option when i can avoid it as easily as using the passive key.

For me, the "key" of the "keyless" is not really leaving the key in the pocket at all times, but not risking to leave my keys on the bike, having the keys or bike stolen or lost, or having to disconnect the bike keys from the chain every ride. Not saying i would not prefer the fob working, but the passive key is still much better than an actively keyed bike. Using the code for starting is just too slow to make any sense except in the event that the keys got lost or stolen.
Sounds like using the key as passive is the best idea. That kinda makes it like a bike with a key. I assume you know you can remove the battery from the FOB and it will still work as passive.

I like the active FOB, I just keep it in my pocket.  While I have seen the message pop up a few times, it has not been nearly enough to annoy me. And I do not ever recall seeing the message twice without turning off the bike.

BTW, I have seen other messages also. I recall one time when I got the message that I can now unplug the charging cable when I was riding 65 MPH around 20 minutes after I last CCS charged the bike.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 04:47:30 AM »

That is one thing I noticed with the Ribelle too, if you charge the bike without turning it on, it can get goofy sometimes, on startup or with the charge complete messages.  Nothing bad seemed to happen, I think worse case I had to press the start button a few times to get it to finally fully activate.

Aaron

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2023, 11:40:10 PM »

Does anyone know what it costs to convert back from a keyless system to a keyed system?

after FW42 I'm consistently getting "Ket not in range" when first starting the bike, sometimes even when I have the fob sitting on the pickup itself.

Constantly get "key out of range" when riding and its just super frustrating.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »

Does anyone know what it costs to convert back from a keyless system to a keyed system?

after FW42 I'm consistently getting "Ket not in range" when first starting the bike, sometimes even when I have the fob sitting on the pickup itself.

Have you tried removing the battery from your FOB and using the FOB only as passive? See your owner's manual about how to use it as passive. That should work much like a key and you should never see the message again.

The only difference is no key and you need to put the "dead" fob at a location on the bike for a second or two. As good, if not better, than using a key, and you should never see the out of range message again. And you will never have a bad FOB battery.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2023, 01:27:00 AM »

Have you tried removing the battery from your FOB and using the FOB only as passive? See your owner's manual about how to use it as passive. That should work much like a key and you should never see the message again.

The only difference is no key and you need to put the "dead" fob at a location on the bike for a second or two. As good, if not better, than using a key, and you should never see the out of range message again. And you will never have a bad FOB battery.-Don-  Reno, NV

I might give this a shot Don.

Smithy.

tunafish_phd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2023, 06:21:00 AM »

Will give it a shot.

Good thing I spent the $300 to not have to do this!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2023, 07:02:49 AM »

I might give this a shot Don.

Smithy.
I have not tried it myself to get rid of the message as my FOB as active works well enough for me.

But I have tried it as passive with the battery removed and started the bike with no PIN number required. It worked perfectly. But I didn't go on a test ride like that.

But I expect it will work, as it cannot expect the FOB to be in range when it was not used as an active FOB. Be sure to remove the FOB battery or you will most likely continue to get the message.  I expect it will then be as easy to use as a key, if not even easier, and no more "FOB out of range" message.

But be sure to post here how well it works out for you, as I have not tried a ride like that. However, I did ride the bike a few days without a FOB at all. I once left my FOB here in Reno in my motorcycle pants when the bike and I was in Auburn, CA. Never got the "FOB out of range message" then that I can recall.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X