• September 23, 2024, 04:33:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Key not in range issue.  (Read 1521 times)

smithy

• View Profile
Key not in range issue.
« on: May 25, 2023, 01:26:20 AM »

Hi All,

My Experia is running fine and no major issues to report.....except the silly "Key not in range" warning....My Experia is the "keyless" version, (I'm probably regretting that now), during my ~52km commute each way to work I can get as many as 6-7 key not in range warnings...not a deal breaker but it's becoming annoying. The owners manual says the key fob should be within 1.5m of the sensor which lives behind the dash panel just to the right of the TFT. I have my key fob in the "Frunk" for my travels and this makes it less than 30cm (1 foot) away from the sensor, I've replaced the fob battery twice and it seems to make no difference. I'm running version .042 firmware.

Anybody have any ideas..?? Is there a later firmware version which may sort it..??

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:32:15 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Key not in range issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 03:31:17 AM »

Hi All,

My Experia is running fine and no major issues to report.....except the silly "Key not in range" warning....My Experia is the "keyless" version, (I'm probably regretting getting that), during my ~52km commute each way to work I can get as many as 6-7 key not in range warnings...not a deal breaker but it's becoming annoying. The owners manual says the key fob should be within 1.5m of the sensor which lives behind the dash panel just to the right of the TFT. I have my key fob in the "Frunk" for my travels and this makes it less than 30cm (1 foot) away from the sensor, I've replaced the fob battery twice and it seems to make no difference. I'm running version .042 firmware.

Anybody have any ideas..?? Is there a later firmware version which may sort it..??

Smithy.
I keep the FOB in my left pocket. See if that helps. I rarely see the "FOB out of range" message. Just once in a great while.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 06:11:26 AM »

Again, energica really needs to FIX THIS SHIT!

A simple command that once the rider over rides itt by acknowledging the error message, and pressing the mode switch, it does NOT come back up again until the bike is turned off and back on.

The RF circuit on the key fob is a total piece of shit, they ALL ARE!!  Way too many things that can intefere with it, and givein it's FCC classification it has to ACCEPT that inteference and NOT produce any on it's own.  This means that noise from your bikes computer,or even the motor / inverter can possibly cause reception issues and blank out the signal, which gives the error.

I honestly don't think they are going to fix this issue, GENUINELY fix it, it's the nature of those crappy key fobs, so the next best thing, alter the software so that once I say OK< WHATEVER....... STOP showing me the error message!

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 02:53:13 PM »

The "Key not in range" isn't a hardware issue, it is a software issue. It was never an issue before Fw 39. See the thread I started two years ago: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=11027.0

I don't think Energica really cares. Software isn't their strong point. There is a lot on this forum about it. The easy way to avoid it is to just get a keyed system which is what I did on my Ribelle RS.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »

I updated my SS9+RS to firmware version 042 a few weeks ago which made the keyless issue worse than before. During the past weeks, the range decreased even more. With a new battery, it is now no more than 30 to 40 cm. My dealer negotiated with Energica and the Swiss importer and achieved an exchange of the fob under warranty. Moreover, Energica sent plastic screws to my dealer as they are convinced that exchanging the steel ones, that fix the antenna, improves the situation significantly. Will get both tomorrow and report back my experiences.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 08:55:36 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 05:04:10 PM »

BTW, Energica suggested disabling bluetooth as it is considered to interfere with the keyless system. This may be the main reason why they afaik no longer include the bt module in new bikes.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 01:50:42 AM »

I have Bluetooth on my bike and I've only seen the key out of range message a handful of times. Keyless works really well for me, so I doubt that is the issue.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 07:06:37 AM »

We are in a period of increased sunspot activity and solar flares, which will wreak havok with all communications.  GPS goes out among other things.  This issue seems more prevalent when you are making right hand turns, as when you do, you are leaning that way slightly, and that brings the key fob in your left pocket closer to the sun, hereby intensifying the interference it causes!

Aaron

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 09:11:57 AM »

I put just over 2.5k miles on the bike and never saw a 'key not in range' alert.  I always keep my key in my right pants pocket. Then I took her in for service and was updated to the most current software version.

I have seen the 'key not in range' pop up several times now....

L1 charging amperage increased! My charge times on L1 decreased, of course.

You can now change the level of the heated grips while riding, involves hitting the mode switch, then tapping I think right to cycle through stuff and tapping mode again. Something like that, discovered it totally by accident, while riding.

In short, I believe the 'key not in range' is a software problem.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 12:16:41 AM »

Maybe the software was not written properly to detect it happening, so it may have been cutting out all along, but the software never seen it or reported it.  Then they updated it, and the software now WAS able to see if it was working or not, it was not, and THEN started reporting it!  Maybe the problem is not a software bug, but the software actually being FIXED now and actually doing it's job, and you are seeing the result of it doing it's job now.

FFT..

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 11:03:24 AM »

I had a 2020 Ribelle. Initially, the FOB worked fine. As pointed out by ultrarnr, I became an issue when my dealer installed new FW early 2021 - next to unreliable starting the bike (it almost nether started on the first push, sometimes required a sequence like short-long-long).
I got KNIR (key not in range) warning circa every 10km - extremely annoying on longer trips. FOB is always in my jacket front left pocket.
However I made two 3.800km trips into the Alps - surprisingly, the error did not appear even once & I cannot say what I did different on those trips other that to have my Energica tank bag stuffed with rainwear, drinks etc. - no electronics. I even managed to forget the fob in the saddle lock when charging, so I was installing a 3d-printed turn-key instead.

Those very annoying topics made me order my Experia with classic keys. Did not regret that a single moment.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 05:18:31 PM »

Most, I did the same with my Ribelle RS. Not a single regret either getting the keyed system, it works the first time, every time and no error codes. Software is probably one of Energica's weakest areas and they definitely need to hire better talent.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 05:33:39 PM »

Oh I had the key not  in range twice since then.
Simply forgot the keys in the house and had to go back 8).
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 09:56:10 PM »

Hi All,

My Experia is running fine and no major issues to report.....except the silly "Key not in range" warning....My Experia is the "keyless" version, (I'm probably regretting that now), during my ~52km commute each way to work I can get as many as 6-7 key not in range warnings...not a deal breaker but it's becoming annoying. The owners manual says the key fob should be within 1.5m of the sensor which lives behind the dash panel just to the right of the TFT. I have my key fob in the "Frunk" for my travels and this makes it less than 30cm (1 foot) away from the sensor, I've replaced the fob battery twice and it seems to make no difference. I'm running version .042 firmware.

Smithy.

By using the passive key, you do not get the "key not in range" error.

I've done this for more than a week now without issues. Im still on fw 41 (still a bit worried there were no update on latest service..).

You only need the passive key near the bike when starting it, so it is not as much hassle as one could believe. Comparing to a normally keyed bike, it still has the benefit that i can pocket the key after starting it.  I keep the bike key on the same keychain as my other keys - which i would not do if i had to leave them in the bike while riding.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 08:51:09 PM »

You only need the passive key near the bike when starting it, so it is not as much hassle as one could believe. Comparing to a normally keyed bike, it still has the benefit that i can pocket the key after starting it.  I keep the bike key on the same keychain as my other keys - which i would not do if i had to leave them in the bike while riding.
Another way, for those who it bothers, is to use the PIN number instead of the FOB.

I just don't see the big deal about seeing that "key not in range" message and hitting the mode button once to get rid of it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X