• September 29, 2024, 02:27:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dealer installation required - Cypher Store  (Read 626 times)

Tony

• View Profile
Dealer installation required - Cypher Store
« on: May 19, 2023, 08:02:59 PM »

So, with the Cypher store finally working again I am considering getting the parking mode upgrade and the 10% faster charging option. However, it says dealer installation required after the unlock.

Did anyone try this? I wonder how much work it is for the dealer to complete the unlock? Just asking as the season just started now, and they are exceptionally busy.

Also, anyone had any real life experience with the 10% faster charging (I got the premium SR/F)? I suppose it also depends heavily on the charging station. So, perhaps it wont really make a difference unless it is a high capacity one.

Seems a bit optimistic to sell the upgrade as 10% faster charging if only the highest capacity charging stations will allow it?

theoutsider

• View Profile
Re: Dealer installation required - Cypher Store
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:39:04 PM »

When I bought my MY2022 SR, I bought my Parking Mode upgrade through the dealer. When they dropped the bike off to my house, they gave me an unlock code and told me to register myself to the bike and enter the unlock code myself. I'm pretty sure they didn't do anything else on their side prior to dropping the bike off to me.

Your 10% charging upgrade would get you to 6.6kw of onboard charging capability. In looking at PlugShare, I noted that most of the Level 2 public chargers are 6.4-6.6kw, so you will reduce your charge time by 10% or maybe a little less. So if you are doing a quick charge stop for like an hour, you'd save 6 minutes (or less) at most on that stop to get the same charge. I guess it's a convenience, but it might not be the biggest bang for your buck.

I just installed the 6kw Charge Tank on my MY2022 SR, so now I can take up to 9kw and take advantage of the very few higher capacity plugs around. Others have mentioned that Tesla Destination Chargers (not SuperChargers) often charge at 8-16kw, but you'd need a Tesla-J1772 adapter. That being said, I'm not going to do the 10% Charging Upgrade through the Cypher Store. I'd be able to charge up to 9.9kw, but there are so few J1772 chargers that even charge at 8kw, it doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:43:36 PM by theoutsider »
2022 Zero SR

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 04:02:44 AM »

another way to look at it is,  instead of being 6 minutes faster,  if you got an hour to charge, it's giving you an extra 5 to 7 miles or so of range.  Might be just enough to get you home by charging during your lunch hour type thing.

Aaron

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »

Hi Tony,

I own a 2020 SR/S and bought both options: 10% charging upgrade and parking mode. Both options require the right firmware. if you dashboard shows the option "parkmode" in grey your are good to go and can just buy it through the cypher store. With the 10% charging upgrade you need at least firmware 2.0 on the charger(s). If you have 2.0 you are also good to go and can buy the option through the cypher store.
The required dealer work is the firmware update if required.
Please note: If your dealer is not too far away I would recommend to do the upgrade at the dealer. Dealers have a dealer code to enter into the App. Your dealer might offer you the cypher upgrades at lower costs! The firmware updates are at least at my dealer for free.
I am very happy with both options. You can upgrade the two internal chargers, but not the chargetank. I definitively get the full 10% - even a little more.

pargil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 08:24:34 PM »

I do have an SR/S 2020 . I just ordered the Parking mode and it is working well. As for the 10% Fast charge option, it is grey out (Extended charging range) in the Dash menu of the bike.   I am not aware of the actual charger firmware version, the dealer couldn't confirm to me if they updated the charger firmware. Does that mean that I can order the option as well?

Thanks

GrantMeStrength

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 04:09:23 AM »

if you dashboard shows the option "parkmode" in grey your are good to go and can just buy it through the cypher store.

My SR/S has the "park mode" option greyed out, but the app tells me that I must ask a dealer to do it. :-/

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 05:41:49 PM »

My information is my personal experience. GrantMeStrength, have you tried to actually buy the parking options? As far as I know you should be able to buy. Just try it out.

pargil, as far as I know you can't update the charger firmware on your own / through the app. If you had your bike in service the last 12 month, propability is very high that you have a working firmware. I just looked up my old log files. First time I can see firmware 2 was May 29th 2022 (I hade a dealer visit this day). If your dealer connected the service laptop and clicked on "Update all" the chargers are updated.

Please note: The most current firmware on the charger is 2.06.

Although you can't upgrade on your own, you can read the firmware of your chargers. You need to access the MBB console with a laptop connected to the OBD2 port. The command "charging" wil do the trick.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 05:45:22 PM by ms_smart »

pargil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 06:02:00 PM »

Thanks very much ms_smart. I will report back once I have made my OBD2 adapter.
Pages: [1]