• September 30, 2024, 04:31:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/S Cruise Control Not Disengaging with Front Brake (After Switch Recall)  (Read 784 times)

karlh

• View Profile

As the title says, my 2020 SR/S has been acting up the last two days with cruise control not disengaging when the front brake is applied.  The bike had the front brake switch recall done in early 2021.  The problem is intermittent, occurring maybe 20% of the time.  The only other change made recently is the MBB firmware update to version 29.  I took the bike to my dealer today; they contacted Zero and are awaiting instructions.  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

mdjak1

• View Profile

When you pull on the front brake lever, does the brake light illuminate?

karlh

• View Profile

Can't tell while I'm riding.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Specter

• View Profile

well look in the garage then.   Grab it several times, see if it's something simple like maybe that switch is glitchy or unfortunately, maybe something more serious.

If the switch is goofy I don't see where it'd make much difference where you tried it at, it should still act up.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile

As the title says, my 2020 SR/S has been acting up the last two days with cruise control not disengaging when the front brake is applied.  The bike had the front brake switch recall done in early 2021.  The problem is intermittent, occurring maybe 20% of the time.  The only other change made recently is the MBB firmware update to version 29.  I took the bike to my dealer today; they contacted Zero and are awaiting instructions.  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
If the cruise control disengages with the rear brake but not the front, you can bet your brake light is also not working from the front brake lever. Sounds like a bad front brake switch but could also be a bad connection at the front brake switch.

The norm is to use the brake light VOLTAGE to disengage the cruise control.  So no brake light voltage, the CC will not disengage.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile

To add to what DonTom is saying, wire damage or corrosion / a ground can cause that.  The light may even be working, but because of the ground / corroded / damaged wires, when the brake light turns on, instead of going to the CC to disengage it as well, there's not enough voltage - energy on the line to actually activate it because of the fault. 

Given how small these wires are, if you are fiddling with stuff, like changing bulbs etc and trying to smoosh everything back into that little container and getting the reflectors lined up, the screws lined up etc, it's fairly easy to pinch a wire, and even break a lot of them off under the insulation w/o causing any real physical damage on the outside to show what you did.  You don't know until a week or so later when the last 3 strands you left intact, finally give up the ghost under the load and things just stop working now.  If it's intermittant, then it's highly suspect, something is loose or broken somewhere.

Aaron

karlh

• View Profile

I did some testing in my garage today and was able to repeat the problem; intermittent NO brake light with front brake lever activation.  I disconnected the leads to the brake switch and tested the switch's continuity.  No problems were noted in over two dozen lever activations.  I also verified that I was getting consistent voltage to the switch.

I'm now leaning toward a problem with the bike's Power Distribution Unit (PDU), although intermittent wiring could still be a possibility.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

mdjak1

• View Profile

Did you test the switch continuity over multiple times?   Maybe try to put some power through it directly to a bulb or something?   I assume it is a subminiture microswitch.   The contacts of these can corrode over time especially if subjected to wet weather or salt air.   They do sell a replacement.  I would be inclined to try that first and also trace the wiring, checking for anything that might be flexing or checking/cleaning the connectors at each end.

https://www.af1racing.com/ZM25-08044-OEM-Zero-Front-Brake-Light-Switch-12-2020-Update----ZM25-08044

karlh

• View Profile

As stated in my last post, I tested the switch continuity over two dozen times.  From what I've read in my Owner's Manual and my experience with other bikes with a PDU or equivalent, the brake switches are not connected to the brake light directly.  The switches provide an input to the PDU, which then provides an output to the brake light, and possibly other systems.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a wiring schematic to verify this.

FYI, the switch that AF1 racing sells is the same switch that was installed as part of the recall (see my first post).
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

JoeFromSac

• View Profile

I have the exact same issue on my 2020 sr/s as well! I also had the recall work done as well.  Only happens at freeway speeds when light pressure to the front brake lever is applied the brake pads engage to the rotor but will not disengage the cruise control which produces the wierdest sensation.  Doesn’t happen all the time but when it does I have to mash the front brake hard to disengage the cruise control.  I do not use my cruise control in heavy traffic for this reason and I will not bring my bike to the dealer and sit for months…..please let me know how it works out for you….good luck!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 12:43:33 AM by JoeFromSac »

Specter

• View Profile

cruise control in heavy traffic is kind of moot anyways, you are always hitting the brakes etc etc because of the clowns around you,seeing 1/4 of a car length room in the next lane and trying to squeeze in front of you to get it :(

A quick tap on the brake generally should disengage the CC, don't have to lock up the wheels,just enough to blip it,  worse case,pressing the CC button again should also turn it off.

Aaron

karlh

• View Profile

Aaron,

Your comments regarding cruise control are spot on.  However, the more pressing problem is that the brake light does not cone on when the front brake lever is squeezed.  I ride in a custom mode with lots of regen, so I seldom use the rear brake.  I'll have to change my habit pattern to avoid being rear-ended in traffic.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Specter

• View Profile

karth from what I am aware, and I actually asked this question in another thread, when you are regenning, it should flash your brake lights to let the people behind you know that 'something' is going on!  Yes you ARE slowing type thing to them.

I am pretty sure most the bikes would do this, as you are aware by your own experiences, higher settings of regen can slow your ass pretty darned fast, and yes it'd be REAL nice to let the folks behind you know you are slowing that fast!

Might want to check that possibly the 'regen' flasher may be going on so they do know you are braking one way or another.

Aaron

karlh

• View Profile

I don't know about other Zero models, but my 2020 SR/S has no regen flasher.
Karl
2020 SR/S
2007 BMW R1200ST
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Richard230

• View Profile

I have a Brake Free helmet light that flashes red when I slow down while using regen.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1] 2