• September 22, 2024, 10:34:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charge an Energica on a Tesla charger  (Read 1172 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Charge an Energica on a Tesla charger
« on: May 07, 2023, 06:50:12 PM »

Someone told me the other day they installed a big charging station down the road from me, and it was by the food store too WEeeee~~~ !!

It's a Teslut charging setup   >:(

It doesn't look like that wierd plug is any way compatible with the CCS1 of the Energica.  Is there an adapter somewhere that I can plop on to make it work and would it?  Has anyone charged their angry eyeball from a tesla charger yet?

Thanks
Aaron

Dryer667

• View Profile
Re: Charge an Energica on a Tesla charger
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 01:33:59 AM »

Regarding Tesla destination chargers: I actually recently bit the bullet (and took one for the team) by ordering a Hansshow version of the Tesla tap mini. (https://www.hautopart.com/products/hansshow-tesla-to-j1772-charging-adapter-max-80-amp-250v-for-j1772-evs-only)

The Tesla tap mini runs $240+ and this Hansshow version was $87 after a discount. I read and watched a few reviews on the Hansshow adapters and the CCS to Tesla adapter seemed to have some pretty solid support so I went for it. I received it a few days ago and recently tried it out but the J1772 end does not fit well into our port. The Tesla side fits great. I reached out to customer service and we will see what comes of it.

Regarding fast charging: we are all waiting for Tesla to expand their network with CCS adapters. A few have popped up in CA but thats it so far.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 12:03:05 PM by Dryer667 »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 04:36:59 AM »

I can't see how this is such a huge deal really TBH.  It's basically strappping an extension cord together, make the two ends match and put the power leads on part a where they belong on part B to work in that machine, and the communications making sure that is good too.

The only real  hitch i can see is the proximity switch for the 'safe charging' mode in making sure everything is plugged in tight before turning the juice on.  that could be problematic, and of course nobody would want the liability when tardspooge decides to stick his finger into the crack to see if he can touch the conductor while it's charging.   OR, tesla just throws a damned CCS I cord onto his chargers, I mean FFS it can't be THAT hard and look at the business he could drum up, and PROVE he is the leader in the field...

Aaron

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 06:47:33 AM »

If it's a Tesla Supercharger there's only a few that have CCS adapters built in.

The other ones are only open to Teslas.

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 11:51:11 PM »

I've used a TeslaTap Mini 60 on Tesla destination chargers/wall connectors and I've used the Tesla Magic Dock at Superchargers that are equipped with the CCS adapter.

For an old school Tesla Supercharger, there's no way to make it work with anything but a Tesla as there's a two-way handshake that needs to occur between the unit and the vehicle to establish account authorization and whatnot.

By the way, I've tried one of those TeslaTap Mini knockoffs (VACHAN) available on Amazon and for whatever reason, it would only charge at a lower rate, so while it was considerably cheaper than the TeslaTap Mini, it wasn't worth it in the end.
2022 Energica Eva Ribelle

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 12:59:51 AM »

@Plug-n-Play - the Hansshow is rated at 80A so I was hoping I could count on at least 20A which would be enough for max speed on Energica AC charging but haven't gotten that far in the process. From looking at the adapter and my home EVSE its hard to see where the manufacturing defect is but it just doesnt fit well and I sure am not going to force it.

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 04:29:39 AM »

@Plug-n-Play - the Hansshow is rated at 80A so I was hoping I could count on at least 20A which would be enough for max speed on Energica AC charging but haven't gotten that far in the process. From looking at the adapter and my home EVSE its hard to see where the manufacturing defect is but it just doesnt fit well and I sure am not going to force it.

The VACHAN I had was also 80A but upon further research it seems that it's not fully compatible with the Gen 2 version of the Tesla Wall Connector, which is what I have. That was most likely the problem I had with it. Otherwise, the VACHAN looked to be pretty decent quality, and I'd say it was comparable in fit/finish to the TeslaTap Mini that replaced it. https://www.amazon.com/VACHAN-Compatible-Connector-Connectors-Destination/dp/B0BTMPRYQ6/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 04:32:01 AM by Plug-n-Play »

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 04:58:26 AM »

There have been mixed results with opening up Tesla chargers here in Europe (where Teslas all use CCS because it turns out legislating for a common standard is a thing that actually works). The UK ones had a habit of frying non-Tesla vehicles (including an unfortunate Ribelle) when the trial started here.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 06:18:24 AM »

The last I checked, the Energica, unless they made it better with the experia, the MAX you will EVER get out of an AC charge is 15 amps period.  If you want more Amps / kw then you need to dc charge.  Oddly enough, even though i have it set to 15 amps,I rarely see it his 12 amps if i am charging 120 volt or maybe 13 amps at 240, so even then it's not hitting it's max.

Aaron

Edit, this is why I have  a custom DC charger coming in, it'll put out 60 AMPs fast DC charge and is fairly portable so i can bring it to the track with me as well.  I had it custom made to run off 240 mains and you can select the power level so if the amps just are not there you can tell it ok charge at 8 kw instead of 30 kw type thing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 06:23:14 AM by Specter »

Plug-n-Play

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »

The last I checked, the Energica, unless they made it better with the experia, the MAX you will EVER get out of an AC charge is 15 amps period.  If you want more Amps / kw then you need to dc charge.  Oddly enough, even though i have it set to 15 amps,I rarely see it his 12 amps if i am charging 120 volt or maybe 13 amps at 240, so even then it's not hitting it's max.

Yeah the Energica's on-board charger maxes out at 3KW so that's around 12.5 Amps.

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 03:48:45 AM »

I saw 3.7kw on the dash on a recent AC charge above 75%. Made me think that the 3.3kw advertised would be accurate with the usual losses. 2023 SS9RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 01:50:27 AM »

Their amps reported on the dash .vs. actual amps delivered, (trust me, I measure at more than one place when charging) can be goofy at times.  Not sure if they are measuring amps into the battery or into the charger at times.   When I am charging 115 vac, about 1600 watts To the bike is about the max it will flow,  when running at 240, i get about 3400 watts TO the bike.  Now that this came up from someone else, next time I charge im going to push my inverter to about 250 ish volts, see if it boosts reported watts, ill also buck it back down to around 230 volts too, and see how that affects it's reported amps / volts / KW charging.   I get an idea though, that it's not super dooper accurate really, and on average, I seem to be getting 5.6 miles per KW delivered OUT of the receptacle, heading to the bike.  that 5.6 is out the door, including all the conversion losses, heat losses ble bla bla.

Aaron

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 10:16:54 PM »

I see similar numbers Aaron. What I have most recently figured out is that looking for a AC charger that provides over 7KW (often 7.2KW) confirms its a full 240V connection and will get me the best speed. Kind of a "duh" moment when you do the math but I never put that together before and was assuming the bike liked some chargers better for some reason.  ::)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 02:07:35 AM »

That's another thing about it too.

15 amps MAX.

So paying 300 to 500 dollars for a Level 2 charger that can do 40 to 50 amps.  ie double digit KW, unless you also plan on using it for another vehicle, like a Bolt that can charge with the same cable as well, is a huge waste of money.  You are paying for capacity you will never use.

Maybe one day they'll offer an upgrade so we can charge at 7.2 kwor so.  That'd be nice.

Aaron

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »

Edit, this is why I have  a custom DC charger coming in, it'll put out 60 AMPs fast DC charge and is fairly portable so i can bring it to the track with me as well.  I had it custom made to run off 240 mains and you can select the power level so if the amps just are not there you can tell it ok charge at 8 kw instead of 30 kw type thing.

Nice, your own fast charger. Boss shit. Who's making it? Setec?
Pages: [1] 2