• September 21, 2024, 05:44:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long distance highway travelling with the Ribelle - a report  (Read 1253 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile

This was an experiment to see how quick I could go over a long distance.

So I planned a 500 km trip to Northern Germany with ABRB (A Better Route Planner) with setting for quickest arrival and thus was expecting to arrive after 6 charge stops in about 8.5 hours by using the Autobahn (German highway) only and doing max. 120 km/h with a consumption of max. 13 kWh/100 km.

When I left home in the morning the highway was unexpectedly closed along the way due to a heavy accident with more than 10 km of traffic jam, so I was forced to go via secondary roads which cost me about an hour.

First charge was relatively quick (17 kW) and battery temp indicator was still green when I arrived (ambient temp of approx. 11 degC) but turned yellow after charging and remained so until the end of the trip. Accordingly, charging was slower for the next stops.

In the end the bike allowed for approx. 12 kW charging power, so putting in 8-9 kWh (SOC from 10% to 60-65%) over about 40-45 minutes which was good for about 80 km of distance. During rinding I had the average consumption in view, so when I encountered strong headwind during the trip, I reduced the speed to stay within the 13 kWh per 100 km. As a cautious person, I mostly went with 12.
Doing so, I arrived always above 10 % SOC, but mostly charged only to the SOC recommended by ABRP.
That ended in a cycle of roughly 1:1 driving and charging time with this setting, which turned out quite smooth. Due to the multiple rest stops I never feld stressed out. Only the last charge took what felt like an eternity when ambient temp dropped and I began to feel cold.

Arriving at my destination after nearly 10 hours at 24% SOC I was without a CCS charger within 25 km distance and I did not bring my charge brick which was not a good move.

Return trip: So before starting I had to charge which cost me again about an hour.

In addition to that I encountered problems at the first charge station (never had that in 10 months electric driving) which also delayed my travelling. Arriving there at only 6% SOC put me really in a corner (had strong headwind and did not reduce my speed enough). Next chargers were about 20 km away, so in the case that first charge station wouldn't have worked, I most probably would have been stranded there.

It took me about 12 hours to get home with 7 charge stops. Last one was only 9 kW speed, apparently the battery was too warm to allow for faster charging.

Distance travelled: Total 1036 km
Travelling time:      Total 22 h
Consumption:        Total 128 kWh, 12.3 kWh/100 Km
Charge speed:       Average approx. 12 kW
Charge apps used: Total 3 (elvah, EnBW mobility+, Shell Recharge)
Cost:                     Avg. 0,79 €/kWh. Total charge cost 100 €, pee fees 5 €, beverages 30 €, food 15 €
Carbon emission:   Zero (due to charging renewable power only)

Will I do that again:         No, not in this way ;)

How would I do that next time:
Travel on secondary roads only. Slower speed but also less consumption. Seeing more of the scenery, going more curves, having more driving fun.
Doing the 500 km in two stints with an overnight stay.
Bring my charge brick to start with 100 % SOC in the morning.
Do not plan for arriving at a charging station with 10%SOC only if there aren't alternatives around within 15 km.

Luggage: I got me a Kriega US-20 pack which I strapped to the seat behind me. It held wonderfully and allowed for lifting the seat for charging. Volume of 20 liters was plenty enough for holding a pair of shoes, pants, shirt, tie (had to attend a funeral), underwear, sweater, towel, bathroom thingies and some more small stuff.

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Long distance highway travelling with the Ribelle - a report
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 05:47:57 PM »

Excellent writeup!

most

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 06:40:22 PM »

I'm aware that ABRP receives quite some critics, especially from more experienced long-distance travellers. However, I'm using it as well and with a bit of tweaking the settings I am quite happy with the results.

I plan longer trips (720km Hannover-Alps 2x p.a.) also split into two days and have set my ABRP to suggest only charge stops with min. 4 CCS chargers. My experience: Still scenic routes but much more reliable charge stops. Nether encountered a station where 4 (or more) chargers were blocked or not working. I was always able to recharge.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:40:11 PM »

Always bring your level 1 / 2 brick with you.  That way no matter what, you can get 'some' charge somewhere and never be stranded.  it's only a few lbs and easily fits into a side bag or whatever.  You guys don't do split phase like the US does I don't think so Lv 1 is moot, but L2, plug into any mains and you are good.

Germany isn't it a bit cool there right now?   Not trying to be dicky but how does one get their battery in the yellow. Ive drove my bike HARD a time or two in florida with temp in the low to mid 80's,  (were talking 100 to 115 mph) for about 18 miles, (sunday mornings about 8 to 9 am are heavenly :) )   with an occasional slowdown to maybe 70 ish because something was going on in front of me I didn't want to fly into.  I never went yellow.

what is the threshold for yellow and how bad does it curtail your energy flow?  Id think with all the being liquid cooled, if you keep the bike on during charging so the fan runs it'd be a cool ride.

THis actually brings me to a suggestion

@energica -  when I put the bike in 'go' mode, I hear some whirring, im assuming the water pump?  Especially if it's being run or just got off a run.  Now the moment I put the kickstand down that whirr turns off.  How hard would it be for charging to turn that water pump back on to help take heat off the batteries?  or does it do that already?     ON that, yes I know there really is no airflow across the radiator, but..they DO make fans that plug into the USB and the little bastards can actually move some air!!  I use one when I mine dogecoin to keep the gpu fins cool.  Maybe something like that so when hot charging, the bike turns the pump on and you can hang this thing over the radiator in front with an S hook or something to force a little bit of air thru there for a major cooling on the battery?

just a thought.

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 10:02:26 PM »

I rarely bring charge cables with me, too bulky and annoying when I have limited luggage already.

I mainly just don't take motorways, motorbikes are for enjoying the journey, not the destination. My experience with a long motorway haul on my Ribelle (from Berlin to Nottingham over two days) was that it's not worth bothering. You can do short hops, maybe a single charging leg on the motorway if you need to skip some particularly boring area and that's about as much motorway as I want to do on a bike anyway.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 10:11:52 PM »

I hear that, yah a full day riding does get tiring on the hands and if you are at speed, beats the hell out of you after a while too.
BUT... in our current world, where charging stations are not on every street corner, and the possibility of their being broken ones, if you  ARE going to make a long distance trip out of it, might as well be prepared, instead of stranded.

What would be a nice touch would be if Energica was able to put the CCS controller IN the bike for AC charging, there is room down there, and just have like a  plug, so all you really needed was to literally plug a plain old extension cord into it, via a plug n play plug built into the bike.  they make pigtails to convert from pretty much any plug config to the other so you could use that to match anywhere you are at.  Being it's 15 amp max, you can get away with that on a 14 gauge cord.  Just a small 25 foot extension cord would be easily hid under the seat to be honest if you were careful about it.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 12:59:34 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and sharing your insights!
I did not expects this much feedback which is highly appreciated. It's good for any person to check out what is best for their travel plans.

@Specter: Actually it was not my driving bringing the battery into the yellow (indicating 41-55 degC) but the CCS charging.
Ambient temperature was about 12-14 degC. Apparently the liquid cooling is not designed to bring down the battery to green while riding (at least not at highway speeds).
But comparing the sizes of the radiator and the battery that was to be expected somehow...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:44:51 PM by jotjotde »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 01:14:41 PM »

I love that storage pack on the back, very out of the way and would be a lot more aerodynamically efficient than the two huge bags hanging out the sides too I am betting.  Ill have to look into getting one of those.  so it doesn't shuffle around or slide around or anything?

Edit:  After looking at these, this looks like the ideal solution to my rear baggage storage issues.  Do you think a Kriega 30 would fit on the Ribelle decently or be a bit big?

Aaron
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:29:22 PM by Specter »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »

I love that storage pack on the back, very out of the way and would be a lot more aerodynamically efficient than the two huge bags hanging out the sides too I am betting.  Ill have to look into getting one of those.  so it doesn't shuffle around or slide around or anything?

Edit:  After looking at these, this looks like the ideal solution to my rear baggage storage issues.  Do you think a Kriega 30 would fit on the Ribelle decently or be a bit big?

Aaron
The bag comes with universal straps and there are lots of possibilities to fix. I chose the way shown in the pics for best access to the charge socket and it didn't move much during the 1000 km. Even if the back straps would have failed, the bag couldn't fall off the bike because the front straps would have been helt by the seat fixings.
Alternatively the two front straps could be fixed to the frame tubes underneath the seat or to the passenger pegs, but then you would have to loosen the bag every time before charging - which is no prob with the click-fastening of the top straps but still a bit more hassle.

The 30 size might be a bit too large especially if you pack heavies inside and it might sag downwards on the sides. That could maybe be redeemed by chosing the 'OS' series which come with a supporting plate in the underside (at least that's my understanding). The 'US' series is totally soft.

What drew me to the (admittedly awfully expensive) Kriega system is the fact that you have multiple options of fixing bags onto each other. So, if I someday need 30 liter volume I would go with an additional 10 liter bag strapped on top of the 20. Of course, that's more expensive but makes me more flexible.
To get 40 liter I would get a second 10 size and fix both 10s to the opposite sides of the 20. If I then need even more, I could get the tank strap and put another 20 liter there...

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 05:34:13 PM »

Recommend a small kriega bag for daily riding.  Place to keep tire repair kit and some small tools.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 08:18:34 PM »

That's what I was thinking too Pard.  currently I have my can of fix a flat, psi gauge and a few tools rattling in the webbing on the side bag, but when im street running those are not always on the bike.  Behind the seat is kind of a perfect place it is way out of the way, is not an additional wind drag (not that THAT makes any difference with the power this bike has ! ) 

@jotjot I seen they have these bags on revzilla, and offer the whole lot of them.  I like the setup you said where you can add bags or pick and choose.  I make deliveries of my coffee on my bike fairly often and having something that when I need, I can load up the seat behind me to make the hop to the UPS terminal would be great.  Hanging over the side a little would not be a terrible bad deal, it'd only be for a few miles and not running 80 mph.  If I need a stiffener im sure I could figure out a way to put a sheet of aluminum or titanium in there myself

I also like that there are bunch of ways to secure it.  if it's a bit large then tie part of it down or tuck it. id think.

Aaron.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 01:00:09 AM »

How hard would it be for charging to turn that water pump back on to help take heat off the batteries?  or does it do that already?     

Water pump effects traction drive cooling on first generation bikes and traction drive / motor cooling on second generation bikes.

Battery pack is not activievly cooled on any of the EGO / Eva series suspect same for Experia series.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 02:55:09 AM »

How hard would it be for charging to turn that water pump back on to help take heat off the batteries?  or does it do that already?     

Water pump effects traction drive cooling on first generation bikes and traction drive / motor cooling on second generation bikes.

Battery pack is not activievly cooled on any of the EGO / Eva series suspect same for Experia series.

I was under the impression that with the 23's  Energica combined ALL the cooling into one loop, so the one loop does everything.
If so, this could be very helpful.  A pump draws flea power compared to putting kw's into the bike.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 03:04:24 AM »

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 04:58:34 PM »

Well, I somehow automatically believed that the battery is cooled as well like in many 4-wheeled EVs  ???  So it's only the inverter and the motor.

@PWM: Thanks for making that clear!
Pages: [1] 2