• September 22, 2024, 12:40:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stupid Noob ? about the chain  (Read 1927 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Stupid Noob ? about the chain
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »

it's like a buzzing / metal contact / interact, gear meshing type of noise that increases it's freq as the speed goes up.  If it was just rubbing the freq would not really increase linerally like it does with speed,so that tells me its more like an engagement type noise.  Like the chain interacting with teeth on the sproket.  Like a slight misalignment or no grease, the 'click' as they mesh and everything couples as it makes the turn.

check the length of the gap on the tightening screws from the swingarm as well BUT, there is no guarantee those were perfect to begin with.   With that, you can always take the bike to any bike shop and ask them if they could squeeze you in real fast to check the chain tension.  It's literally a 5 minute job for someone who knows how and I think they'd do it real quick.

aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2023, 07:38:30 PM »

A friend had the same unidentified noise. It turned out that chain was constantly sliding over the lower chain guide (that one that sits on the swing arm in the triangle lower opening). He was disassembling it, reducing material thickness and the sound was gone. My Ribelle did no have that noise at all - we nether compared and nether identified differences.
Needless to say that the tension was checked and adjusted, even playing with upper/lower tolerances.

However that might be an indication that you might want to consider…
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:40:55 PM by most »
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2023, 03:39:39 PM »

@most & aaron
Thanks for your valuable input! In my case the noise comes mainly from the lower chain guard as well as a bit from the front sprocket. As both appear to be OK, I am pretty sure this is not life-threatening but a minor nuisance.

After a bit more than 16,000 km both sprockets show some washout (see attached pic) - I plan to exchange them together with the new chain and probably the noise will be reduced then as well.

For everone insterested here are some infos ('22 Ribelle RS):

Chain:
Manufacturer Regina
Pitch 525
Links 112 (might be different on your bike)

Front sprocket (appears to be same as for Aprilia Tuono V4):
Manufacturer PBR
Type 2078
Teeth 15 (RS - non-RS has 16 teeth)
Pitch 525
Alternative: 1. JT Sprockets JTF704 or 2. AFAM 61801-15

Rear sprocket:
Manufacturer AFAM
Type 92630
Teeth 44
Bolt circle: 100 mm
Nuts: 5x M10
Pitch 525
Alternative: Superlite 92630RX
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 04:59:42 PM by jotjotde »

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 01:24:13 AM »

Interesting...The Experia has a totally different setup, it uses a 520 chain & sprockets, original gearing is 15/52 and runs a 120 link chain. I found the speedo to be a fair way out so I fitted a 16t front sprocket and this made it near perfect, within 1kmh of actual GPS.

Having difficulty finding a rear sprocket for it....Front sprocket is easy, just an Aprillia RSV or Tuono item. I bought a DID ZVMX 520 chain and will be fitting it when the time comes.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2023, 11:47:51 AM »

Having difficulty finding a rear sprocket for it....Front sprocket is easy, just an Aprillia RSV or Tuono item. I bought a DID ZVMX 520 chain and will be fitting it when the time comes.

If besides the 520 pitch the specs of the Experia rear sprocket are similar to the other Energicas (100 mm bolt circle, 76 mm inner diameter) then you might find some match with older Suzukis (e.g. 1200 S BANDIT 2005), albeit made of aluminium not steel.
Found this (https://www.mykettenkit.de/kettenrad-mka1617-alu-18868) on a German website but I think it's more or less self-explaining.
Otherwise there is the possibility to get something custom-made, main body of the sprocket is aluminum and the teeth ring is made of steel (e.g. UK company supersprox.com). You even have the chance of getting a colored sprocket  8)

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 11:57:19 AM »

Info for anyone wanting to change the front sprocket at home: You need a special tool for removal of the fixing nut with 4 grooves. It is a KM5 socket.

BTW I decided to let the workshop change sprockets and chain because I don't want to buy tools I need once a year or even less.
I will get a Regina HPE to see if this is really as low-maintenance as it is advertised.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 12:06:44 PM by jotjotde »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2023, 09:12:03 PM »

I don't even bother to measure chain and belt slack. I just make sure they feel right to me. I doubt if they are off by much by me doing it such a way. I have a good idea what too tight or too loose feels like without measuring.

-Don- Turlock, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2023, 01:35:39 AM »

Wow you are such a stud, I want you to have my children....

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2023, 02:31:24 AM »

Found this (https://www.mykettenkit.de/kettenrad-mka1617-alu-18868) on a German website but I think it's more or less self-explaining.

Thanks for the info....They don't ship to Australia unfortunately.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2023, 10:09:15 PM »

Postage would be about 75 to 90 USD but if they ship to the US, I could snag it and relay mail it to you.  I ship to Austrailia, and pretty much anywhere else around the world that the USPS does.

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 03:45:23 AM »

Postage would be about 75 to 90 USD but if they ship to the US, I could snag it and relay mail it to you.  I ship to Austrailia, and pretty much anywhere else around the world that the USPS does.

Aaron

Actually found one on fleabay, from France .....but thankyou anyway.

Smithy.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 07:52:12 PM »

So, im looking for spools / sliders to put on the bike to do this with.  it'd be easier to jack it up to clean the chain etc.

With that, is the Energica 6 or 8mm, and what spools have any of you used?  I am seeing several out there and am also seeing that a few of them, they are saying that they are probably not strong enough given the Ribelle's weight, so curious what others are using.

Thanks
Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 10:21:06 PM »

So, im looking for spools / sliders to put on the bike to do this with.  it'd be easier to jack it up to clean the chain etc.

With that, is the Energica 6 or 8mm, and what spools have any of you used?  I am seeing several out there and am also seeing that a few of them, they are saying that they are probably not strong enough given the Ribelle's weight, so curious what others are using.

Thanks
Aaron

I have these, work well.  8mm

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-swingarm-spool-sliders?sku_id=516539

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-spool-spacer?rrec=true

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2023, 12:01:31 AM »

I like this setup... are the spacers 8mm or 10?
Nevermind, I see 8mm now....
Thanks!
Joe

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2023, 03:52:04 AM »

Since Energica's stands are sold out and it might... be june before they come in, im thinking of getting these stands.
Pretty sure they will work, the oxfords have a decent write up on them.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-premium-rear-paddock-stand?sku_id=1095269

and the front one as well

aaron
Pages: 1 [2] 3