• September 30, 2024, 08:27:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Helmet Fog and YOU  (Read 666 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Helmet Fog and YOU
« on: April 15, 2023, 10:40:13 PM »

Hey Guys, here's a topic im sure we all got tangled in at one time or another.

Helmet fog.  Whether it's your breath condensing inside, or the fog outside condensing on the outside of the helmet and you then have to go and wipe the water off so you can see.   After a wipe or two your rag is wet and you are drippin mess everywhere with a soaked rag.

Would putting Rain X on your helmet visor, or any other of those soltuions work at all or is that mostly hype

Thanks
Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: Helmet Fog and YOU
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 12:04:02 AM »

I use a pinlock insert for reducing fog on the inside of my visor. But I haven't found anything that really works on the outside. I have a small windscreen that lets full air flow onto my visor and most visor cleaners will help rain bead and clear from your visor with a slight turn of your head. But in fog I am stuck wiping my visor with my hand.

2020_SRS_Commuter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 03:24:46 AM »

I bought the RainX for plastic and it seemed to make fog on the outside of the visor worse. Large droplets pool and run off but mist hangs around. I didnt use it on the inside.

Zekoslav_Mrkva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 03:53:29 AM »

I use a pinlock insert as well, but for condensation on the outside of the visor, the best solution I have found was the small rubber squeegee on the index finger of my Held gloves.
2024 Energica Experia

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 04:01:14 AM »

I use a pinlock insert as well, but for condensation on the outside of the visor, the best solution I have found was the small rubber squeegee on the index finger of my Held gloves.
Same, but the rubber pert got old and split apart on my Revit gloves. Pinlock is amazing and well worth it.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 06:08:40 AM »

Im not having too many issues inside.  Was mostly my fault, washed my hair, still damp, go out riding, yah that's gonna for inside if you let it.  Helmet was good about inside though and that wasn't a huge issue with my Shoei.  The outside now, the fog just clings on it and you end up using your glove to wipe it off over and over and over again.
I was wondering if rainx would work or not, as I know that in some instances that kind off stuff can make things much worse for you.

I guess Ill have to try it and see how it goes.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 10:45:32 PM »

I was wondering if rainx would work or not, as I know that in some instances that kind off stuff can make things much worse for you.

I guess Ill have to try it and see how it goes.

Aaron

Suggest Plexus instead.  Works better than RainX (for plastic).  Water will bead under misty road conditions but requires one to tilt head to one side then the other periodically for water to clear shield while riding.  Avoid wiping face shield w/ glove while stationary for best durability, apply daily when traveling.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 08:58:04 PM »

Thank you PWM, ill have to give that a shot and see.
Tilting / turning your head, yah that's kind of a no brainer if the beads are not already blowing off to the sides.  You should be kind of doing that anyways just by the nature of riding, looking around to see what traffic is up to  8)

I remember LONG LONG ago, for some god only knows reason, my dad, rest his soul, decided one day to put armor all on the windshield of the car,  :(  It was bad enough that he put it on the front car bench seat and every time you took a turn you'd slide half way across the car ! but the window.  that stuff would NOT come off for anything.  solvents, nope, diesel fuel, nope, even tried a Jenny Steam Cleaner... nope,  took about 6 months to wear off.  Im trying to remember, I don't think they had Rain X back then, as to why  he'd do that, with THAT instead of rainx or something.

ahh the good ole days.

Aaron

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 09:36:40 PM »

I remember LONG LONG ago, for some god only knows reason, my dad, rest his soul, decided one day to put armor all on the windshield of the car,  :(  It was bad enough that he put it on the front car bench seat and every time you took a turn you'd slide half way across the car ! but the window.  that stuff would NOT come off for anything.  solvents, nope, diesel fuel, nope, even tried a Jenny Steam Cleaner... nope,  took about 6 months to wear off.  Im trying to remember, I don't think they had Rain X back then, as to why  he'd do that, with THAT instead of rainx or something.

ahh the good ole days.

Aaron

Did the same w/ Windex window cleaner once on exterior of car windshield and it caused terrible wiper streaking...the only way to clean it was to cover w/ newspaper, saturate w/ vinegar and let it sit a while...
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 02:39:01 AM »

yah that was the thing the moment it rained, it smeared and got cloudy and you couldn't really see out the window very well afterwards.  We'd be driving down the road and my dad reaching out the side window with a rag trying to wipe the window ::cringe::

Here hold my beer turned into, here grab the wheel so I can wipe the winshield :D

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 10:16:46 AM »

I have experimented with RainX and various other stuff. Cleaning off the screen works best with isopropyl alcohol & water mixed 50:50.  That mix also works on my helmet visor without the agent eating away the visor. Lastly, I am now stuck with the windscreen sealant Glaco also for my visor. If on the car you consequently avoid using the wipers then you can see drops flying off already at low speeds. On the bike, turning the head slightly has the same effects.
It just doesn’t work good enough in foggy weather as the tiny drops are already annoying before they connect and are large enough to fly off…
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 08:00:42 PM »

most, I can't remember the name of it, it was NOT rainx but was a product i seen on a windshield,  even the teeniest of drops would slide off, turn bigger and whip off the sides, you darned near didn't need windshield wipers.

I am hoping that by the time the drops are big enough on my visor that they are really impeding my vision, they are also big nuff to slide off with a head turn.   We'll find out I believe :D

Aaron
Pages: [1]