• October 01, 2024, 12:25:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Small tank bag for SS9?  (Read 1388 times)

chisquare

• View Profile
Small tank bag for SS9?
« on: April 15, 2023, 01:25:20 AM »

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a small tank bag for my EsseEsse9+RS. The bag by Energica is a bit too large and more than a just bit too expensive - at least here in Switzerland. I love my two SW-Motech tank bags on my KTM SDR3 mounted with a tank ring. Of course for the Energica only a straps mounted version is possible.
Are there any recommendations for a small bag that fits well and can be removed easily?
Thanks, Urs
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 01:31:52 AM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

BorS

• View Profile
Re: Small tank bag for SS9?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 03:08:38 AM »

Photo : https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqkdyPFTb5uKu3E89
You must make braket for the tankring.    They where forsale in Nederland, but I can not find the firm that sold them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:12:11 AM by BorS »

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 04:16:38 AM »

Great information, thanks! I will look out for that. Didn't think the central cover would be sturdy enough but I suppose the mounting point will be below.
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 12:35:26 PM »

Here is the link for the mount that allows fitment of a Givi tank bag to Energica EVA and EsseEsse9
http://electricmotorcycles.nl/producten/130/emn-tanklock-system-for-givi?categoryId=29

There are a number of smaller tank bags that connect to bikes using straps. You can use the bikes tube frame to attach the 2 front straps. On the OEM Energica tank bag the rear strap is secured using the rear bolt hold attaching the central tank cover to the subframe, it would be possible to modify a aftermarket strap to attach in the same way.

Alternatively it is possible to attach a magnetic tank bag to your bike. You would need to glue large metal washers (or magnets) to the underside of the tank fairings to provide the bags magnets secure attachment points. I would suggest adding some sort of strap to act as a back up in the event the bag slips.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 01:20:35 PM »

Excellent, thank you so much! Was unable to find this Givi holder myself using Google. I did find some diy projects but the one linked by you looks perfect to me.
I thought about the magnet solution myself and looked up strong flat neodyme magnets to glue to the underside of the tank covers. As some small bags seem to have magnets in the main/middle part, and not only on the flaps, I hesitated, because that may not work given the led construction underneath.
Thanks again, Urs
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 06:30:51 PM »

Give Energica of New England a call. They don’t list it on their website but they carry the Givi tank lock adapter (I just ordered one from them a couple of weeks ago). One of the best purchase I ever made for my Ribelle. I use the lockable (to the tank ring) 5L bag between my R1200RT and my Ribelle…extremely convenient.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 07:48:03 PM »

I am not a fan of magnetic tank bags as they tend to scratch the paint on the tank under the bag's magnets. If you don't care about the finish on your tank then they can be very convenient to use, although not very secure if you leave them on once you park your bike.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 08:37:41 PM »

... or with a bit of DIY you can also get an SW Motech tank ring installed.

The carbon tank cover is curved, this has to be compensated with some custom bushings.
Underneath the tank cover I installed as counterpart one of the distance rings that come with the tank ring, again a bit bended.
Stability is good, holds easily also another bigger SW Motech tank bag i have.

Best, Jens

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 09:04:47 PM »

... or with a bit of DIY you can also get an SW Motech tank ring installed.

Now, how cool is that?! Wouldn't have thought that the leds are no problem. OTOH, my standard non-carbon cover may not be sturdy enough.

Give Energica of New England a call. They don’t list it on their website but they carry the Givi tank lock adapter (I just ordered one from them a couple of weeks ago). One of the best purchase I ever made for my Ribelle. I use the lockable (to the tank ring) 5L bag between my R1200RT and my Ribelle…extremely convenient.

Thanks! Being able to switch tank bags between bikes would be ideal for me, too. Is the base plate 3D-printed? And do you think that the SW-Motech Evo ring could be installed instead of the Givi one?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 09:07:13 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 09:28:03 PM »

Now, how cool is that?! Wouldn't have thought that the leds are no problem. OTOH, my standard non-carbon cover may not be sturdy enough.

Note: the carbon cover does not have the LEDs. This made it easy to install the tank ring.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 10:41:40 PM »

Thanks for the clarification and kudos for the construction!
Do you consider the standard cover to be strong enough to take the ring mount, too?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 10:44:18 PM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 12:44:33 AM »

I have no comparison between the standard tank cover and the carbon cover. The central carbon cover is more stable than the side panels of the tank cover, you cannot flex it.

Maybe if you use one of the aluminium distance rings above the cover and one below the cover to spread the load to as much area as possible.
For me it works also with one of the medium size SWMotech tank bags (i use the shown "Engage" and the "Trial" model also on my Super Duke GT).

I had similar concerns before i started, thus already prepared to create an additional support under the tank cover from the used distance ring to the inverter a few centimeters below, e.g. two aluminium struts to two unused thread holes. This would transfer some weight from the tank cover to the inverter box. But at the end this was not needed and the construction carries even a full "Trial" tank bag with several kg of weight.

Best, Jens

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 12:59:05 AM »

Thanks! Being able to switch tank bags between bikes would be ideal for me, too. Is the base plate 3D-printed? And do you think that the SW-Motech Evo ring could be installed instead of the Givi one?

The adapter is metal and comes with an extra screw (you reuse the 4 screws that are replaced with 4 included longer screws) and the flange for the Givi tanklock ring. I don’t know if the flange will work with an SW-Motech ring but it probably wouldn’t be too difficult to make it work with it.

chisquare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 04:17:28 AM »

Thank you both, EvaMuc and BigPoppa, for the detailed descriptions. Much appreciated! As my diy skills are quite limited, I guess I will contact Energica of New England and ask about international shipping. If I'm super lucky, they may even have built a holder for the SW-Motech system before :).

And thanks, Richard230, for pointing out the drawbacks of magnet based solutions. This, together with the possibility of using my existing bags, nudged me into the direction of a bracket system.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:27:17 AM by chisquare »
Energica Esse Esse 9+ RS
BMW R1300 GS

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »

Sorry, I didn’t realize you were outside the US. Use the link Demoni posted earlier. Those folks are in the Netherlands and sell the same Givi tanklock adapter.
Pages: [1] 2