• September 20, 2024, 07:36:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: zero fx 2018 no longer shows time remaining when loading in DC  (Read 1015 times)

Edipo76

• View Profile

hello everyone,
a strange thing happened to me yesterday: i connected the zero fx 2018 to the fast charger, but it didn't show the remaining time anymore. tried in AC and instead everything ok. The problem is also that if I turn off the bike it doesn't charge anymore, I had to keep it on all the time risking to burn the headlights.
during the day we did 4 recharges, and the first 3 gave this problem while at the 4th it magically started working again as usual, i.e. in DC it showed the time remaining and recharging continued without problems even after turning off the bike. What is it due to and how to solve to make sure it doesn't happen again? Thank you

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: zero fx 2018 no longer shows time remaining when loading in DC
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 09:44:21 PM »

I'm going to assume you're referring to the offboard Delta Q units. There's no way for me to know from here, but either the Delta Q unit isn't sending the enable signal over the signal pins, or something is wrong with the pins/charge harness on your bike's side of things.

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »

HI,
and how can you try to fix it? It's not a magazine problem because I have a second Zero FX and it doesn't cause problems there.
I tried spraying some contact fluid on the DC socket of the bike but I don't think it changed much, maybe I can try blowing on it with the compressor?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »

I don't know what, "It's not a magazine problem" means.

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 11:47:02 AM »

sorry, a translation error: I meant to say that it is not a problem with the fast charger, since on another identical bike it always works regularly. Thank you

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 11:48:52 AM »

Then it sounds like it is a problem within your bike's wiring harness.

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 11:59:49 AM »

yes, I think so too , but how to solve? strange then that we did it 3 times the problem and instead at the 4th time everything ok.
the main problem is that I have to leave the bike on while charging, with the lights on which in the long run melts the headlight: is there no way to turn them off? maybe I could turn off one of them, the high beam, so that I can keep the lights off while charging? a fuse be the culprit or help to solve the problem?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2023, 12:32:15 PM »

is there no way to turn them off?
In both my Zeros, I put in a switch so I can turn off the headlight. Not only that, I have an LED lamp in both, so they don't get all that hot.

-Don- Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Bodo

• FXE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2023, 05:24:38 PM »

yes, I think so too , but how to solve? strange then that we did it 3 times the problem and instead at the 4th time everything ok.
the main problem is that I have to leave the bike on while charging, with the lights on which in the long run melts the headlight: is there no way to turn them off? maybe I could turn off one of them, the high beam, so that I can keep the lights off while charging? a fuse be the culprit or help to solve the problem?

Do you use the yellow fast charger sold by Zero?
What happens when you switch the bike off, after it started charing with the external charger?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2023, 07:41:07 PM »

Do you use the yellow fast charger sold by Zero?
What happens when you switch the bike off, after it started charing with the external charger?

I use the yellow Delta-Q charger sold by Zero to charge my 2018 S and it works perfectly. I first plug it into to the connector located above the motor, plug the charger into the wall outlet, turn on the bike's ignition, wait for the contactor to click and the green charging light to start blinking slowly, then turn off the ignition (which turns off the headlight, of course) and the bike will continue to charge until the Delta-Q decides to turn off by itself (after balancing the cells), then the power level drops to something like 4 watts.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 11:47:50 PM »

Hi everyone,
a little while ago I went down to the garage: plugged the bike in, connected the charger cable and the bike showed something on the display: then turned on the bike and it started charging indicating the timer, then I turned it off and it continued to charge , all ok then.

then I disconnected it for a moment, I blew with the compressor on the DC socket of the bike and a bit of dust came out. I then repeated the charging procedure but it no longer worked, i.e. it charged regularly but without indicating the remaining time and only with the bike running.

I don't know what to think: but do you think it could perhaps depend on the internal charger of the bike which has stopped at 85% for some time? it no longer goes 100% with the internal slow charger, but it does regularly with the extended DC charger. I don't know!? I don't know what to think or even how to solve it, there's no dealer here: who could figure it out? Thank you

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2023, 01:10:47 AM »

Hi everyone,
a little while ago I went down to the garage: plugged the bike in, connected the charger cable and the bike showed something on the display: then turned on the bike and it started charging indicating the timer, then I turned it off and it continued to charge , all ok then.

then I disconnected it for a moment, I blew with the compressor on the DC socket of the bike and a bit of dust came out. I then repeated the charging procedure but it no longer worked, i.e. it charged regularly but without indicating the remaining time and only with the bike running.

I don't know what to think: but do you think it could perhaps depend on the internal charger of the bike which has stopped at 85% for some time? it no longer goes 100% with the internal slow charger, but it does regularly with the extended DC charger. I don't know!? I don't know what to think or even how to solve it, there's no dealer here: who could figure it out? Thank you
The output voltage of your OBC is too low to fully charge the battery. The only reasonable fix is to replace the OBC.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 03:17:38 AM »

The OBC on my daughter's 2014 S started to fail to charge to 100% on the display. Eventually, it would stall at 85%. So we replaced the on-board harger with a new version and it has worked perfectly ever since.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 11:11:38 AM »

HI,
I agree with the internal charger, but in reality I use the internal one very little, only when I come back unloaded from a ride and to calmly bring the bike back to 85%, then I only use the external charger to charge 100% for 3 or 4 times before returning to recharge with the internal one.
But the two should be separate and distinct, right? Having internal OBC with this issue shouldn't affect the external fast loader issue, right?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »

HI,
I agree with the internal charger, but in reality I use the internal one very little, only when I come back unloaded from a ride and to calmly bring the bike back to 85%, then I only use the external charger to charge 100% for 3 or 4 times before returning to recharge with the internal one.
But the two should be separate and distinct, right? Having internal OBC with this issue shouldn't affect the external fast loader issue, right?
I am not sure what you're asking. What is a "fast loader"?  A Delta Q quick charger?

But if you're asking if you can use the external and OBC at the same time, yes you can and it should then charge to 100% and you won't even know you have a problem with the OBC.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X