• September 30, 2024, 08:17:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Indicators for Energica  (Read 2503 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Indicators for Energica
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:45:11 PM »

Hi Folks!

Looking for something to replace the nice but quite common looking indicators for my Ribelle I realised that those for some BMW, Triumph and Aprilia look the same or quite the same.
More important, the 'foot' of the indicators where they are fixed are identical.
In the picture below you see a common Triumph indicator. Of course, you still have to change the connectors, but they are available at Molex.

In case you want to put some without this particular 'foot' on your bike, you need indicators with M8 thread or you could use the adaptor shown below.

Just wanted to tell you, in case you want or need a replacement. Now you can look for more makers and see where you can get the best price.

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Indicators for Energica
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 10:16:23 PM »

Small problem while installing the new stuff.
I am accustomed to black and red cables, black for mass connection and red for current.
The original indicators have brown an blue cables. ::)
Before I break out my multimeter, does anyone know what blue and brown stand for? I assume the brown is mass and blue is current, right?

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 09:00:48 PM »

Just as a side note on the blinkers. Check the power consumption

Stocks ones:
Euro turn signals: LED 13.5V - 1.89W
US turn signals: incandescent 12V - 10W

I tried to put the sequential rizoma vision (12 V - 3,4 W) and the 3.4W seems to cause an issue.

If i only put the front ones it works (despite an error on the dash) but if i install the 4 ones nothing works at all. Seems that the bike cannot deliver enough electricity (no comment) to make sequential blinkers works. And adding resistors doesn't help as you are looking to augment the W not diminish it  :P

And btw the blue wire also referred to as the neutral wire, has the function of transferring electricity away from the appliance. The brown wire, otherwise known as the live wire, transfers electricity to the appliance. The combination of these wires is referred to as a circuit. so brown is +

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 10:10:13 PM »

I did this when I just got the bike,

Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »

Thanks for your input!

In the meantime I encountered the same problems as Valen described  :-[
I relied on Energica's specs for the LED i.e. a bit less than 2 Watt per indicator and purchased sequential LEDs originally for a Triumph, but they are made by Koso, so it's not cheap crap I try to put on the bike. Koso usually has no LEDs beyond the 2 Watt, so I did not expect any issues.

But now, installing the right front one first, they flash once then the error #B1007 comes up (right indicator circuit fault).
Tried several things, e.g. switching a 70 Ohm resistor in parallel, but then the indicator not even flashes once (though the fault is not coming up).
Another try was to connect both indicators, the original as well as the new one in parallel, but with the same result, both flash once, then error code.

I measured the original Energica LED, but according to the multimeter the resistance is > 2 MegaOhm (!)
According to the Energica specs, at 13.5 V and 1,89 W I calculate the restistance to approx. 100 Ohm. Unfortunately I am not Electrician enough to understand this.
The new LED has 100 KiloOhm, which is surprising as well.

Googling this does not really help me any further, everything I found there is about the conversion from incandescent to LED.
Do I miss something elementary here?

@Valen, did you find a fix for this?
@MoneyFor: Were you just lucky or what did you do to make them work?

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 05:32:51 AM »

A B1007 fault "Turn signal short circuit fault" happens when the turn signal circuit tries to draw more power than what is set as the max value in the software. The bike turns off the circuit to protect its self till the bikes power is cycled.

To understand if you can use the replacement turn signal on your bike you need to know how much current they requires at 12V and how much the stock unit draws. If the aftermarket signals draw more current they will not work on the bike. If they draw less they will work, however if the draw is too low you may see a B1006 "turn signal open circuit fault". The signals will still flash (possibly at a faster rate). This can be fixed by wiring the correct size resistor into the circuit to dissipate enough current to match the draw of the stock signal.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »

Thx @Demoni for sharing your knowhow!

In hindsight I should have checked this much more carefully, now I have an expensive set of indicators which do not work because they are too powerful  :'(
Only thing I could do is to bypass the bike‘s control and install a dedicated load independent indicator relay. That’s something I will not do.

Until now I had absolutely no clue that there are LED indicators on the market which need such a high power. There is a beautiful sequential one from a German manufacturer, the Kellermann Jetstream which draws a whopping 21 W! Compare this to the 1.89 W of the Energica LED…

Additionally to the Triumph I tested two more LED indicators, one the m.blaze ice from Motogadget which is rated 3 W and runs totally OK.
The other was the single-LED Rizoma Corsa rated 1.4 W which did NOT run and produced an error, maybe the rating is too low!
BTW, I tried even a 4 W incandescent bulb, which threw the error code.
Apparently the bike tolerates somewhere in region 1.8 to 3 W for an indicator.

Summarizing, if you plan to get non-original indicators, check carefully and don’t repeat my mistake!

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 01:41:21 AM »

Thx @Demoni for sharing your knowhow!

In hindsight I should have checked this much more carefully, now I have an expensive set of indicators which do not work because they are too powerful  :'(
Only thing I could do is to bypass the bike‘s control and install a dedicated load independent indicator relay. That’s something I will not do.

Until now I had absolutely no clue that there are LED indicators on the market which need such a high power. There is a beautiful sequential one from a German manufacturer, the Kellermann Jetstream which draws a whopping 21 W! Compare this to the 1.89 W of the Energica LED…

Additionally to the Triumph I tested two more LED indicators, one the m.blaze ice from Motogadget which is rated 3 W and runs totally OK.
The other was the single-LED Rizoma Corsa rated 1.4 W which did NOT run and produced an error, maybe the rating is too low!
BTW, I tried even a 4 W incandescent bulb, which threw the error code.
Apparently the bike tolerates somewhere in region 1.8 to 3 W for an indicator.

Summarizing, if you plan to get non-original indicators, check carefully and don’t repeat my mistake!

I had my left rear indicator fail on my new Experia....Was going to take quite a while to get a genuine replacement, so rather than ride around with no left indicator, I fitted a cheap fleabay pair on the rear.....worked perfectly....and still on the bike today, new genuine ones are on the way.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/362745095872

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 12:08:58 PM »

@Smithy: You can regard yourself lucky because that could have failed when the substitute indicators fall out of the wattage range the bike's controller allows.

My experience is that while most of the quality suppliers are labling their goods, the cheap China stuff lets you only guess.
An additional problem in Europe is that the indicators must have an E-certification otherwise you are fined if police checks or you will fail the bi-annual technical test (Germany).

As a guideline for others having the same issues (when your bike is already fitted with LED):
If you need low-budget indicators e.g. for temporary replacement, look for multiple LED inside (as the ones Smithy bought), so the wattage will be at least 1.8 W or more. Or be prepared to install resistors as described in the post of @Demoni.
For higher quality LED the power is often higher (as the brightness). It appears to me that above five or six LED inside their power is above 3 W and they unfortunately will not work on the bike.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:17:23 PM by jotjotde »

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 02:49:30 PM »

Sorry for the answer delay.

Didn't found any fix yet, asked some friends, my dealer (who make some customs non electric bike) and no one figured a solution.

So for now i ve the Rizoma vision in the front, which look and works great (even if i get the error message) but still got the stock blinkers on the back.

That was a bit lazy to leave as it is but i'm planning to redesign the licence plate holder to go from a diving board to something nice (which i ve haven't found yet) and will prolly change all the blinkers at that time. I 'm just waiting for the rain season to stop (at least having a diving board on the rear helps with weather  ;D)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 02:51:10 PM by Valen »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »

I brought this rather old post up because I think I found a solution for the problem (Energica's with LED indicators have very restricted range for installation of OEM ones).

A German company (Kellermann) offers a special indicator relay which supplies additional power to the indicator if needed.
Link: https://www.kellermann-online.com/en/detail/e281c9762fb441c4a2c23b94fbe56f28
The gadget (named i.SED) is just switched in between original connectors and the new indicator plus an additional wire to 12 Volt ignition-switched Plus.

I want to give that a try, but I as a non-electrician I desperatedly need some help where I get the additional wire connected to at best.
Supply of the USB socket maybe? At the bike's tail I could plug into the backlight but I am afraid this could throw errors if the bike measures the backlight's current and could detect the additional draw of the indicators.
Maybe there is a dedicated place where I can connect?

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »

Looks to be the exact thing you would need to allow installation of higher current draw LED signals on your bike.

The 12V circuit that powers the USB port would be the best place to tap into. The USB port is protected by fuse #6 in the fuse box located under the right tank fairing. It is a switched circuit that is active when the bike is on and when the bike is charging. The bike will still be monitoring the current draw of the turn signal wires. As the relay is pulling power from a external 12V source you will probably need to add resistors between the factory turn signal wires to prevent faults.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 03:49:31 PM »

@Demoni: Thanks for the info! I will try this and report, but that might take some time because it will be a project for rainy days.

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 07:06:07 PM »

@demoni
@jotjotde

Thanks guys you are giving hope that one day i ll be able to put my 4 rizoma vision ;)

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 01:53:39 PM »

@Valen: I have a complete set of nice indicators here waiting to be installed as well. So I promise, I will die trying  :P

Just as @Demoni suggested I looked at the fuse box yesterday and attached some pics. The fuse box is underneath the right top fairing which is helt by 5 screws only.

There are 7 fuses, according to my manual (RIbelle RS '22) they are for the following functions.
1. Vehicle control unit 30 A
2. Power train controller 10 A
3. ABS valves 15 A
4. ABS pump 25 A
5. Charge manager, connectivity hub, OBD 10 A
6. USB and heated grips 10 A
7. E-Keyless 10 A

The No.7 totally surprised me, because I do not have a keyless system! Does anyone know why? Is this circuit active even without keyless?

My plan is to tap into the No.6 circuit just at the fuse box (red cable) with this wire tap    https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html.
Does that sound right? I am open for other suggestions!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:22:25 PM by jotjotde »
Pages: [1] 2