• September 29, 2024, 10:28:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Suspension and Ride Quality Adjustments  (Read 6423 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Suspension and Ride Quality Adjustments
« on: March 21, 2023, 11:21:07 PM »

Posting some adjustments I made  to the Rebelle with stock suspension and tires, that improved ride quality and handling for me.

I weigh 180 with full gear.

Preload: 

Front:  One full turn out on each fork leg from manual spec settings.
Rear :  One full rotation out on the preload ring from manual spec.

Rebound: 

Front:  One full turn out from manual spec  settings

Compression as per manual specs.

Tire pressure:  front and rear 39 PSI

IMHO You will enjoy the motorcycle so much more if you take some time to understand and properly adjust the suspension and do a bit of experimentation with tire pressure.

Not a bad video to start with to help understand what the adjustments do.

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Suspension and Ride Quality Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 12:50:52 AM »

Womet-tek front axle sliders for the R6 work on the Rebelle.  A bit of sanding required on the delrin to fit the axle pass through.

https://tstindustries.com/womet-tech-fork-slider-yamaha-r1-r6-fz-10-mt-10.html

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 12:56:26 AM »

Pics

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:36:25 AM »

this is the next thing I really want to study and get to understand about my bike.  All my gear on, im pushing maybe 200 Lbs give or take a pizza or two.

All I know is, as delivered, it was not a fun ride, rough over tracks etc.  I clicked the shocks down a few turns on the adjustments and it made a HUGE difference on the pounding I took.  I am sure there are more minor adjustments that can make HUGE improvements in ride quality  that can be made once I fully understand what I am doing and not just 'well lets turn it THIS way and see what that does ! "

I am not at the point where I am making hairpin turns so tire pressure I don't think is a massive input point I need to dink with yet but Im betting it will be by the end of the summer :)

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:49 PM »

@Pard: You recommend experimenting with tyre pressure. The 39 PSI you mention would be a bit less than 2.7 bar, i.e. lower than the 2.9 bar Energica demands.

That goes against anything I have learned in the rider trainings I have attended so far. Adjusting suspensions is OK, that what they are made for. If the tyres feel wrong, you change to another manufacturer - there are plenty of types and makes out there - but never stray from the pressure.
Depending on your riding style etc. you might be good with this lowered pressure, but I my view you risk too much. Don't die on us, pal!

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 02:45:00 PM »

Tire pressure can, and should, be adjusted within reasonable limits to get the best ride for your profile.

Here is another good intro video:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:25 PM »

Energica should comes out with a fully electronic adjustable ohlins suspension package, like those found on other premium bikes.

State of the art technology demands that suspension. 

Ride quality of the Energica is a 5 out of 10, with stock suspension,  compared to a Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory which is a 10/10.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:07:58 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 12:35:24 AM »

Ordered a set of Ohlins for the bike.  Will report back once installed and tested.  Really expect a significant change in ride quality.

4 out of 5 dentists surveyed recommend the stock suspension.  Generates business from dislogged tooth filings.  ;D

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 06:00:51 AM »

Good choice on Ohlins - have 'em on my Ribelle - they work even better when bike is fitted w/ forged wheels, meaning less sprung mass.

They will require rebuild every 30k miles but worth it and most any race shop can service them.

Front tubes operate independently, one for compression dampening the other for rebound.

Expect less pogo effect from rear Ohlins upgrade versus the stock unit.
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 02:38:43 PM »

@PWM appreciate the confirmation!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:11:54 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »

Good choice on Ohlins - have 'em on my Ribelle - they work even better when bike is fitted w/ forged wheels, meaning less sprung mass.

I am debating the wheel choice.

My experience with carbon and forged wheel upgrades on some of my other bikes has really yielded mixed results.

If I do upgrade, I may go carbon.

The R6 did not really benefit from Carbon wheels in my perception, except on track.  The difference could be felt on the road as well, but not enough to justify the upgrade to me, if the road use was the only use.

On the road, the low torque output of smaller engines, saw benefits in acceleration from the lower rotational mass.  Handling at road speeds was not night and day with lighter wheels.

The most dramatic change I ever felt from carbon wheels was on my big bore Grom.  That bike being so light and so low HP was transformed at any speed.

The Energica has so much torque available at any speed, I wonder if I will appreciate the difference on the road in terms of acceleration and braking feel.  The massive weight of the bike may mask the benefits.

If the bike survives a few more months, I may be compelled to try new wheels.

@PWM, can you describe what lighter wheels did for your experience on the Energica?

This video is really informative:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 04:52:55 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »

Compare how the stock Energica suspension behaves compared to a Zero FXE and a Tuono V4 factory with active electronic ohlins.

Also for reference,  a Grom with Ohlins and carbon wheels...

Energica suspension is overwhelmed by the work load.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:34:55 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 10:16:03 PM »

Going to be testing out some different tires.

I have two different sets in my garage.  I change my own tires so back to back tests are easy enough.

https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle-on-road-tires/motorcycle-sport-tires/sport-force-plus-ev

https://www.michelinman.com/motorcycle/tires/michelin-power-gp

I get all my tires from this vendor.  He is really great to work with and very knowledgeable.

https://www.motorace.com/

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 10:22:36 PM »

This tire changer is amazing.  Easy to use and gives you the freedom to change tires yourself, whenever you wish.  Pays for itself in no time.

http://www.olmaxmotors.pl/

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 11:34:20 PM »

@PWM, can you describe what lighter wheels did for your experience on the Energica?

Cannot compare to stock Energica wheels, bike was ordered w/ OZ wheels.

Suspect the benefit of lighter wheels is better bike stability under rough road conditions when braking more-so than any handling improvement given the weight of bike is the dominant (non-desired) attribute to handling.

Thanks for sharing the info on tire changers...been wanting to get one and liking the unit suggested.

BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7