• October 01, 2024, 06:26:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Front wheel chock and rear stand  (Read 991 times)

joesedroid

• View Profile
Front wheel chock and rear stand
« on: March 17, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »

Hello all,
So for my 2023 SS9 Ive got a set up where I use a wheel chock for the front tire and a spool stand for the rear. Im not a weak person and I weigh 190 lbs but it takes everything I have to get that rear wheel off the ground with the stand. That does not seem normal to me. Could it be because the front tire is a few inches elevated making it harder to raise the rear?
Joe

most

• View Profile
Re: Front wheel chock and rear stand
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:07:01 AM »

Certainly not. It‘s all about the kinematics of the bobbin stand.
How high is your rear wheel lifted when the bike sits on the stand?

I kinda had the same issue until I realized that I was lifting by rear wheel about 2“ high. Actually, it is not the height of the wheel but the angle of the bobbin stand when you start lifting it. If your bobbin stand allows this then use a lower position so the wheel is *just* gettin free of the ground. Makes a noticeable difference!
A different approach would be to add a lever that part of the stand that you push down.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:55:13 AM »

Lift the rear wheel first?

Where the front lift is positioned will make a world of difference.  If you are lifting the ENTIRE almost 600 Lb bike or just teetering it a bit on a pendulum axis kind of like a see saw.  Think angles, where are you 'teetering' it from, can I get something to move that teeter point so that more weight is on the OPPOSITE side that I am lifting from?  The AoA that you are coming in from makes a difference too.  Without seeing the setup, it's hard to just say, oh,just do this and that... something as simple as lifting you bike, isn't always that simple.

This bike is HEAVY, there is no getting around that, you won't be jockeying it around like you would a 300 lb squid missile.  When you drop the bitch, good luck getting it up by yourself.  A car floor jack works... at least... in theory... so I heard... from a friend :)

Aaron

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 05:10:53 AM »

As mentioned, rolling the rear wheel up onto a piece of 2X4 or something can help. A friend of mine used to do that to help getting his tourer up on the center stand sometimes. I picked up a used forward-handle pitbull that works well. I still have to put more effort into it than any other bike I've owned but its the heaviest bike I've ever had as well.

https://www.pit-bull.com/spooled-forward-handle-rear-motorcycle-stand-f0043-000

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 01:27:08 PM »

I picked up a used forward-handle pitbull that works well. I still have to put more effort into it than any other bike I've owned but its the heaviest bike I've ever had as well.

I too have used that stand and lifting an Energica using one is not fun. However Pitbull also makes this stand and it takes very little downward force to get the bike up. A stand that lifts the bike off the ground less will be easier to use. A smooth surface will also greatly reduce the effort as it allows the stands wheels to roll with less resistance.
Lastly when in doubt add mechanical leverage, Pitbull has extended handles for both the forward and rear stands.

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 05:58:53 PM »

Very good info. I may try riding up on something for the rear, im sure that will help. My stand is not adjustable so I cannot make it lower. Once I get it on the rear again ill take pictures of the height, im guess its way up there.
My other concern is that if its that much weight/work to get it on the stand is that extra strain on the spools...
Thanks!
Joe

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 11:41:00 PM »

Start working out at the gym

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 04:32:35 AM »

For sure, but I also think its the several inches that this lift raises it...

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 06:47:45 AM »

Based on your photos you are lifting the bike a long way up in the air & the leverage arm is rather short.
If you place a board on the floor to lift the rear wheel ~1" off the ground that will make getting it on the stand easier.

I would not worry about the strength of the spools or the bolts securing them. Even the lowest grade of M8 hardware is rated for 8kN (~1,800 lbs) in shear.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 03:00:15 PM »

I use a rear stand all the time for lubing the chain on my Ribelle. Never had a hard time getting the bike up on it. It isn't about strength, its about body weight and the leverage of the stand. I weigh around 180 or so and that is enough to get my bike up on it. Height of the tire is about 2.25 inches from the floor.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 01:08:26 PM »

I use a rear stand all the time for lubing the chain on my Ribelle. Never had a hard time getting the bike up on it. It isn't about strength, its about body weight and the leverage of the stand. I weigh around 180 or so and that is enough to get my bike up on it. Height of the tire is about 2.25 inches from the floor.
How do you get the bike off the stand? 

I have always been too chicken to use those stands without the help of another person.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 01:39:26 PM »

DonTom, I make sure the side stand is down, hold on to the right passenger hand grip (right rear of the seat) to keep the bike from moving forward and then slowly lift up on the rear of the rear stand until the rear tire is on the floor. Then let the bike tilt sideways on the side stand.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 02:04:41 PM »

DonTom, I make sure the side stand is down, hold on to the right passenger hand grip (right rear of the seat) to keep the bike from moving forward and then slowly lift up on the rear of the rear stand until the rear tire is on the floor. Then let the bike tilt sideways on the side stand.
Thanks. I recently watched some Youtubes on how it is done. But I am still too chicken to try it alone. Did you have any issues the first time you put it on and off the stand?

And have you done the same with the front stand?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »

Two hints from me:
1. Use a velcro strap to engage the front brake, so the bike cannot roll when you lift it up.
2. Consider buying a one-armed lifter with the handle reaching towards the bike, not away from it. That will allow you to simultaneously grip the bike and lever it up. In the US there is Pitbull. In Europe look for Kern Stabi.

https://www.louis.de/artikel/kern-stabi-mono-zentral-grundstaender-2038/10002675?filter_article_number=10002675

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 03:44:04 AM »

DonTom,

I have never used a front stand. I have never had any issues removing the rear stand but realize when I do it it is a slow and careful process. I understand completely your concerns with doing it alone which is why I do it the way I do.
Pages: [1] 2