• September 30, 2024, 08:28:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 762 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Insurance
« on: March 14, 2023, 03:37:50 AM »

Hello everyone.  Thought I'd start a topic about Bike Insurance, what we are paying, what we are getting and where, to get an idea of how it plays out across the nation and across the pond.

i live in Florida, USA.  Currently Progressive is one of the few companies that insures bikes for me.  (ALL my other insurance is through USAA, and they don't do bikes OR boats for that matter, but I guess partnered with Progressive to do it for/with them)

I have a good driving record, age is late 50's (becoming a liability I am seeing), and for full replacement cost of the bike in a wreck, and decent personal / property damage (500k) Im paying about 700 ish USD a year.

Yes I know, Full coverage is expensive but over the years I have learned, I don't want to $$@^%k around.. if someone wrecks my stuff and they are uninsured, I want it covered, I want a new bike / truck / car / etc and I don't want to go through a bunch of BS to get it.

What are your ideas, rates,and who is covering you?

thanks in advance.

Aaron

Zekoslav_Mrkva

• View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 04:13:44 AM »

I live in California.  My insurance provider, California Casualty / A+ insurance, provides auto insurance coverage in 44 states.  If you look at their website (https://www.calcas.com/), under Motorcycle Insurance FAQs, they advise that there are "certain bikes that are unacceptable for coverage," such as sportbikes.  I have had a motorcycle insurance policy with them for years, and when I asked them about this, they said that they have to insure all types of motorcycles in California only.  The representative said it had something to do with California's safe driver laws.
2024 Energica Experia

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 06:24:30 AM »

That's kind of a shitty way to do things.
Sport bikes.  waaahhh baAAAAAdddd.

Why?

If I am an irresponsible POS, I am going to be that person on a sport bike, on an old bike, on a new bike, no matter what.  The problem is ME !!!  NOT the bike!!   I can kill myself on a bike just as easily at 40 MPH as I can at 140 MPH.  Most bikes nowadays, sports or otherwise, can easily do 100 MPH, that is a death speed, period if you wreck.   This whole 'sportsbike'  besides for maybe theft reasons, is lame not to insure.

I can totally understand them not wanting to insure if you are RACING it, or running it on a track or 'sponsored sporting event'.  But just to cut out a class of bike because it looks awesome... is NOT awesome.

Just my 2 watts worth.

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:49:46 AM »

Germany here, age 56.
Energica is not listed in public insurance listings, so insurances do not have reference information and calculate by the power (60kW) alone:
- Replacement value according to purchase invoice in case of loss/theft/fire/elemental damage or accident for 24 months, thereafter current value according to expert opinion, in each case with deductible 500EUR. Total max replacement incl accessories of 29,999EUR - it *just* fits the Experia.
- Liability with 150EUR deductible
- frame conditions: when not ridden, the bike is locked from public in a garage / all drivers older than 25yrs / max 8,000km p.a./ registered 12 of 12 months (here in Germany it’s possible to have a limited season‘s registration where it is only registered FROM MONTH-UNTIL MONTH as many are not riding during winter times)
- Discount of 65% due to long accident free driving record
- Total invoice bill is 265EUR per year
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 01:05:17 PM »

Insurance for me is primarily helping me to sleep at night  :D   Thus I am over-insured -  maybe that is a German thing.

My vehicles have all full coverage with a 1000 € co-payment. So in case of total destruction I am getting more or less the money for a replacement.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »

Netherlands: Full insurance (as I have) will cost around 750-1000 Euros per year, with certified disc lock and chain lock, or with approved alarm system, depending on your insurance company.  A classic certified alarm system is not possible on an Energica because there is no 12V battery. Just a simple drop or high sider on the slippery side of an urban roundabout sets you back easily 5000-10000 Euros. Unlike mainstream bikes, used fairing and parts are hard to find.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 07:51:16 PM by SBK74 »
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 07:38:03 PM »

I have had full coverage insurance all my life,  im 58 now and it's a comfort and convenience thing.  I want to know that if my vehicle gets wrecked or god forbid I hurt someone else or wreck them, it's covered w/o a ton of BS.

THe few times I have had to make a claim, it has been pretty much,  oh wait, you got full coverage with abc ...  go find a garage and tell them to call this number and we'll work with them directly for you.

One thing I would caution EVERYONE about it, for ALL your insurance is, make sure it is enough.  Stuff is expensive today.  I had one policy for 25 years, started it when I was 18 years old, kept it solid.  Never once ~~ didn't really THINK about it ~~ re visited it.  Well my insurance company, state farm, who I think is total GARBAGE today, would not insure my home so I went shopping and found out very fast, Oh Aaron, you are WOEFULLY underinsured. OMG you had this policy since 1988,  50k coverage won't cover an ambulance ride anymore let alone medical, you need to up your numbers a LOT.  Fortunately the price was even less for 'real world' coverage.  But the fact that they took my money all these years, and never once said anything about the policy being so low, shows how slimy they have become over the years. 

I know insurance is different around the world but being in a rut with coverage that's too low is a bad world to be in, that can cost you your house and everything in some places. Even just the loss of your vehicle and no way to get  a new one if you are living essentially check to check... it's a bad place to be.  For me, it's totally worth the extra 100 a year or whatever it is for that peace of mind.

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 08:05:04 PM »

Aaron, good points about being underinsured.

Will add more to the mix for consideration.  Umbrella insurance.

If you are riding an Energica, you are a likely target for a claim made by anyone who may be involved in any incident that may occur.

This is why one should also ride with a camera recording video.

There is an entire industry that sues those involved for their entire net worth in the eventuality of an incident.  One should have at least 2x your net worth in coverage in case you should ever have a crash involving another person or property.

Umbrella insurance is surprisingly affordable.  Typical carriers will cover up to 5 mil on a policy, but there are other companies that will provide excess coverage into the tens of millions for a bizarrely low price.

Look into it.  As important as wearing a helmet.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 09:15:21 PM »

Thank you for that pard.
I DO have umbrella insurance on my house / car / boat / etc etc.   USAA does  not do bikes directly but partners? with PRogressive, so since you said that, it tickled my grey matter.  I need to call them and see that if I do get in a wreck, will my umbrella cover it above the other places policy?  or how to make so it does?

It's a sad world we live in where dirt bags will go out of their way to destroy you for a free ride over an accident.  I seen even more dirt bags trying to cause stuff so they can get their redneck lottery payoffs. 

Now I need to play with my incoming mount to get my go pro mounted on the bike as well as the phone.

Aaron

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 10:15:57 PM »

I just have an insurance to be roadlegal and I am currently paying 87€ for a year, in USD this will be approx $95.00.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special
Pages: [1]