• September 22, 2024, 08:27:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Will Ducati compete with Energica on the Road?  (Read 547 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Will Ducati compete with Energica on the Road?
« on: March 10, 2023, 05:44:08 AM »

I would assume so.  Exciting things to look forward to.

Or not:

https://electrek.co/2023/02/27/ducati-gives-the-same-excuse-electric-motorcycle/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 05:58:02 AM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Will Ducati compete with Energica on the Road?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 05:45:27 AM »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 05:47:06 AM by Pard »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 12:52:46 PM »

Ducati surely sent mixed signals over the past years.

The early statement about rather using e-fuels or bio-fuels matched the sentiment of the time then. Today the hype about these fuels is gone because we now know how expensive these fuels will going to be if they must be sustainable (I mean REALLY sustainable, not the wishy-washy blah blah 'sustainability' the large consumables producers talk about in their commercials).

The mystery is, why would Ducati (which belongs to Audi i.e. Volkswagen) develop an e-bike without the intention of selling and earning money with it?
Volkswagen are known to run an tight ship, there's probably no chance that Ducati somehow flew under the radar with this.

Looking at the e-Ducati's specs, they do narrowly miss the benchmarks set by Energica.
So in my view Ducati have to do quite some work yet to reach and overtake them but they are not keen on putting a selling date on it. That might also come from Volkswagen - after the Herbert Diess / Cariad desaster they might gotten cautious.

Audi took over Ducati in 2012 originally to get know-how about small but powerful engines when the 'downsizing' trend started in the automotive industry. [Shortly after that Mercedes-Benz AMG bought a large stake in MV Agusta they sold quite quickly again.] Now they might use the e-Ducati to test software components and/or technology for small EV. We all know that what today is missing are small EV affordable for less affluent people.

If over time Ducati can somehow overtake Energica in specs (a Panigale E !), then I am sure there will be e-bikes produced for sale. I am surely looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 01:03:34 PM by jotjotde »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 09:35:46 PM »

I am sure though, that over time, Energica is going to continue improving their bikes as well.  So what Ducati might accomplish a year or so down the road to match today's Energica, is old news, catching up to an 'older bike'.

I wonder on that, if energica could put their battery horizontal and lower the center of gravity, maybe move the motor up. or a radical new design and just put it in the rear hub with a bus / power rail going aft from the battery to the motor.  Eliminating a drive chain and all the would be awesome. they could also pimp it as, look we did away with sloppy grease!!!

Just thinking out loud.
Aaron

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 10:22:58 PM »

It's not all about numers. They're important, but they're not everything. I personally didn't like the handling of the Enrgica I tried, but I'll definitely be front of the queue to test ride whatever rode bike comes from Ducati's V21L.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »

Will Ducati compete with Energica? Eventually, several years from now. Right now all electric motorcycles (and cars) are competing against the gas burners. Once electrics take over a majority of the market, then they will be competing against each other.

So for those that think Energica, Zero and Livewire are competing against each other, you are mistaken. Their true competition is ignorance, the media and legacy manufacturers with their vehicles.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

Once Ducati starts making an electric, it will be competing against itself most likely. (that is why the Livewire is not like any other Harley design)

Again, this all just my opinion.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 09:54:31 PM »

I think you are pretty on spot Ash.
The biggest issue is the negative and well. pardon my french BULLSHIT stories they run constantly every time there is a problem with an electric vehicle, like it's a HUGE disaster.

How many ICE caught on fire?  a LOT ! But you don't hear about that.

Let's go 100 years back into the past and all the crap spewing, I can guaranTEE you was being throw at the ICE .vs. horse and buggy.  Oh the ICE exhaust will KILL YOU... a horse's exhaust will just make you crinkle your nose... type stuff.   Oh the ICE is flammable, deadly, wonk wonk wonk.

I think electric eventually may be a real thing, but NOT the way they are pushing it now.  In the long run, people are going to need to decide for themselves.  When you force them, even though they may think it's neat, they will rebel, simply because they are being forced and it is not THEIR decision.

One of the biggest problems though, which everyone is ignoring is, the infrastructure can NOT handle it AT ALL !  You basically are doubling the electric consumption of a community with these.  The distribution lines, especially in older hoods, the transformers, etc can NOT carry the load, all that needs to be built out.  Then there is the generation, ok throw solar on everyone's roof, ok but during the day they all are at work, the car is NOT charging then, ok so throw in 100 kw of batteries so they can save what they made for when the car does get there...  well crap, the cost of THAT house just went up 125k !!    See, these are real world problems that will need to be worked out.   Oh and for S and G's -  what happens in say, Florida, when its one of those 18 degree nights, and everyone's heat strips are burning, keeping the homes warm. OH BUT WAIT !!  -  I have 800 megawatts of car capacity that wants to charge now too!.. but we are at our limit and there is NO power on the market, even when we play the 9999 game... now what?

Maybe we can use the cars battery to get us over humps and prevent blackouts... BUT that would mean having to compensate the people in a FAIR way !! for use of their resources.  THIS RIGHT HERE, is a major bind, the power companies do NOT want to share ANY of their pie !!  They want it all for themselves !!

Ill leave it at that or else I'll be typing chapters here...  been doing the solar thing since 1986, worked in the power industry for 17 years, I know the games that are played.

once again, if we could just get the adults to sit at the table and work this thru, it could work wonders ALL AROUND,but that'll never happen everyone wants the whole pie.

Aaron
Pages: [1]