• September 23, 2024, 08:32:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Connectors for Indicators  (Read 613 times)

jotjotde

• View Profile
Connectors for Indicators
« on: February 28, 2023, 06:25:30 PM »

As info for anyone who wants to replace the indicators without touching the bike's wiring.

The connectors are made by Molex (www.molex.com), they appear to be suppliers of Aprilia as well. Took me quite some time to find the manufacturer - there are a gazillion different types out there  ::).

Male:        No. 1501 781 020
Female:     No. 1501 761 021

Note:
For left and right side male/female connectors are switched, so you need two male and two female for a complete set. Right side indicators need female, left side male ones.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Connectors for Indicators
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:14:50 AM »

the turn signals are incandescent,  other countries they are LED.
Someone said that it might be because of laws in the US about putting LED's on a vehicle /bike.

While those laws do cover common sense stuff, I am pretty sure they are NOT aimed at stuff you LEGALLY MUST have on the bike, ie turn signals etc.  Pretty much every law says 'vanity lights',  not 'essential'.

I can't see you getting a ticket for an LED blinker unless you live in some backwater oink boinker town somewhere.  Any decent judge would throw that out, not so much jury nullification but 'implementation and intent' surely would apply to that court case!

Im going to be putting LED blinkers on my bike and will let you know how they turn out.  Incandescent just, .. why???

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 12:51:16 PM »

Other than Zero who offer incandescend indicators worldwide  ::), Energica has them for the US market only.

So, I think if you install the Energica LED indicators on your US bike, nobody will care because they are from the original manufacturer and come with an E-sign (European certification) which you also find all over the bike. I cannot see policemen telling the difference  8)
A front indicator costs about 50 Euros, maybe you will find a dealer willing to import them.

Then there appears to be a refurbishment kit from Energica of New England to convert the incandescent inlay of the indicators to LED. They even have a how-to-video on Youtube. Might that be a solution for you?

I myself are thinking of switching to something from Kellermann, a German manufacturer.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 02:11:16 PM »

Bikes sold in the US need to meet DOT requirements. There is no specific language that I know of preventing LED turn signals from being installed, however there is language related to the minimum surface area of the lens. As the LED units fitted to EU bikes are much smaller they can not be used here.

Please note that although the EU units will mount up to a US bike they will throw faults as their current draw is lower. Most LED turn signals will throw these faults.
To avoid them you need to match the stock turn signals current draw.

Each stock signal draws .65A @ 12V = 7.8W   
Lets say the LED turn signals you selected draw .25A @ 12 = 3W
Taking the difference of the current draw (.65-.25 = .4A) and plug that into Ohms law (V=IR) you get
12=.4*R solving for R you get 30 Ohm. In this specific case you would need a 30 Ohm resistor that is capable of dissipating 5W as heat wired into each LED signal.

Note:
For left and right side male/female connectors are switched, so you need two male and two female for a complete set. Right side indicators need female, left side male ones.
Your part count is correct but the rear turn signals plugs are swapped when compared to the front. So FR will match RL and vice versa.

Then there appears to be a refurbishment kit from Energica of New England to convert the incandescent inlay of the indicators to LED. They even have a how-to-video on Youtube. Might that be a solution for you?
The EoNE turn signal kits are a very nice (all be it expensive) upgrade that used the factory turn signal housings. The front kit also doubles as a set of white driving lights, the rear kit adds red lights that turn on when you brake, both are stupid bright.
Rizoma also makes some very bright, very small LED turn signals.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 04:45:29 PM »

Thx Demoni for pointing that out and supplying that tremendously helpful info! Five stars!

May I add that for swapping the rear indicators, I suggest (at least for the Ribelle) to remove the seat/backcover (thats only 6 or 8 screws), giving you easier access to the connectors.
That shortens the time a bit when you are crouching low at the bike's rear. Getting out the soft rubber gaskets where the indicator cables are entering the insides and then pulling out the cables far enough to disconnect them it a bit fumbly. The connector for the brake-/backlight tends to interfere and cables are not too long. Had to do that already once for installation of the Energica splash guard.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 05:09:30 PM »

May I add that I am not thinking the Energica indicators are inferior stuff. From safety point of view they are wonderfully bright.

IMO the they could maybe shine a bit more to the side though. So I am thinking to install side indicators and moving the former front indicators to the fork. That would be a nice plus in visibility. That's just an idea and first I need to research if that is legally allowed here.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 08:26:01 PM »

Or you could disconnect wires from indicators and use these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144376164839?var=443689508302

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 08:32:29 PM »

My recollection is that BMW motorcycles come (or came?) with incandescent turn signal bulbs. However, since about 5 years ago they have had a factory option for LED blinkers, but they came with a $50 premium. I think several of their new models now come with LED lights throughout. My guess is that the US DOT doesn't have any regulations against LED turn indicators, but they likely need to be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. In the case of BMW the choice of LED or incandescent bulbs probably has something to do with money.  ::)

I just took a look at my 2020 KTM Duke, which has LED lights everywhere, including the brake and tail lights. However, it does appear to have yellow incandescent bulbs in the turn indicators. So maybe there is something else going one?  ??? Could motorcycle manufacturers have a stock of incandescent turn signal bulbs that they want to use up before moving on to LED?   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »

Quote - Lights are stupid bright.

Where I live, stupid bright is good, because hopefully they can't claim they didn't see you and it outshines their stupid and they don't run you over.  Someone coming up on you you tap those brake lights a few times it should get their attention.   Now all we need to do is get a proximity sensor on it and a pair of 100 watt lasers, so if they keep coming closer. well..... :D   call it a safety feature.

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 03:25:53 AM »

Here's my setup small but bright
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 03:34:28 AM by wadejesu »

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 01:58:12 PM »

I think Demoni's post explains why there still are incandescent indicators in the US. Often these regulations are ancient and sometimes are not based on what you could call common sense. ::)

@wadejasu:
I do not want to cut any wires on the bike's side, so the connectors you point out are out of the question for me.

Thanks a lot for providing the pics of your bike - that's exactly what I have in mind for me as well: Side indicators in the old position and the front indicators installed at the fork. Very nice!
That also prevents the indicators being damaged when the bike falls on the side (I mananged to do that twice  >:().

But first I have to check EU regulations regarding this. It might be that no more than 4 indicators are allowed for motorcycles here. Secondly, the front indicators have to be spaced apart within min and max distances and are not allowed to be too near to the front lights (which both makes sense).

BTW: The sticker on your bike 'nuclear powered'  8) ;D

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 11:16:59 PM »

jotjot

Thanks for the comments, I didn't cut any wires, the mini spades are for the add on's , If you look at OEM sockets the have mini spades which can be disconnected. I think the Eone video shows the connectors in detail.

Nuclear powered

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 01:42:03 AM »

I just cut mine up and reused the connector from the OEM signals.

Installed Rizoma Vision signals. Very high quality, bright, sequential, and shine in all directions.

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 03:52:07 AM »

HoodRichOG - did you use any resistors for your Rizomas?

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 07:28:53 AM »

Yes I used these ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DJ6QP7S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

One per side. In the front and ziptied to metal for heatsink.

The included ones with the turn signals were the incorrect resistance.
Pages: [1]