• September 20, 2024, 06:50:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2013 S Throttle loss and variations while riding  (Read 1075 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: 2013 S Throttle loss and variations while riding
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 11:27:09 AM »

Thanks again, Don. Well, I think the bolt was not tight enough because the terminal of the cable could me moved a bit by hand (it was not firm enough). My only doubt is if that was the origin of the problem or the result of the melting.

I will proceed to clean everything and put back together. I hope I can find a replacement for the bolt. I'm pretty sure there is a torque spec, I read about it in the unofficial manual.

Will let you know. Have a great day.
That bolt, IMO, has fairly good odds of being the only problem. If it is just a little loose, it will start melting as well as not give the proper voltage to the motor--intermittently. You should be able to reuse it after you remove it and the washer and clean them both the best you can.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:09:20 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

EdgarZero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 08:59:48 AM »

It seems the problem is solved!!!! (I hope permanently). Thanks to Don, again!

The terminal in the M2 controller output and the terminal of the cable to the motor were very dirty, because of the melting that I mentioned (mainly melted plastic). So I cleaned them as much as I could, replaced the bolt and washers and put all back together. I had a short ride today and so far, so good, any throttle failure at all. In the past, this ride length was more than enough to cause the problem.

I checked the controller top when I came back home and everything seemed ok. The M2 output was not hotter tan M1 or M3. Anyway, I’m going to look for a thermometer that can measure it and check it more specifically.

My hypothesis are (based on what Don said):

The bolt of the M2 output was loose, so the contact between it and the cable terminal was not optimal. The less surface of contact led to a rise in temperature, producing melting of metal from the bolt washers and plastic from the controller top. That led to less surface of contact and increased temperature and so on…
Since the controller and the motor temperatures are ok, there was no error code in the dashboard (once again, I hope).

Any ideas of the things mentioned above of about precautions to follow from this point would be appreciated

Long life to electric bikes!

electrictwowheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 01:01:30 PM »

The Vectrix electric scooters did this all the time because of a poor design of the connection to the phase wires on the controller. Mine did it and I smelled the burning plastic before any real damage was done. I cleaned everything up and bolted it directly to the lug and it seems fine. I would just make sure the bolts are tight and that the connection is not getting hot and you are probably fine. Good luck!
2020 SR/S Premium
2007 Vectrix Lithium Conversion

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2023, 02:44:54 PM »

It seems the problem is solved!!!! (I hope permanently). Thanks to Don, again!

The terminal in the M2 controller output and the terminal of the cable to the motor were very dirty, because of the melting that I mentioned (mainly melted plastic). So I cleaned them as much as I could, replaced the bolt and washers and put all back together. I had a short ride today and so far, so good, any throttle failure at all. In the past, this ride length was more than enough to cause the problem.

I checked the controller top when I came back home and everything seemed ok. The M2 output was not hotter tan M1 or M3. Anyway, I’m going to look for a thermometer that can measure it and check it more specifically.

My hypothesis are (based on what Don said):

The bolt of the M2 output was loose, so the contact between it and the cable terminal was not optimal. The less surface of contact led to a rise in temperature, producing melting of metal from the bolt washers and plastic from the controller top. That led to less surface of contact and increased temperature and so on…
Since the controller and the motor temperatures are ok, there was no error code in the dashboard (once again, I hope).

Any ideas of the things mentioned above of about precautions to follow from this point would be appreciated

Long life to electric bikes!
I am glad I could help.

The slightest play in any of those five bolts will increase the resistance and just a little resistance there is a large voltage drop because the current is extremely high on all five bolts when you're riding.  The lost energy turns into heat.  A lot of heat, enough to melt things quickly.  Your photos were very helpful. It made it look like that was your only issue as it would cause the symptoms you explained.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X