• September 30, 2024, 10:39:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Experia 1000km/600mile service indicator light.  (Read 3552 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Experia 1000km/600mile service indicator light.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 09:34:34 AM »

Hi Don,

I haven't tried CCS charging yet, unfortunately there isn't one near to where I live, closest one is ~35km (22miles) away. When charging, it says "Extimated Time left" instead of "Estimated"...I suspect it might be an Italian translation thing...or whomever wrote the code can't spell.. ;)

I get the "Key out of range" mesage quite often too...and I have my FOB in the "Frunk", so less than 1 foot away from the sensor....which BTW lives behind the right side dash panel about 1.5" to the lower right of the LCD screen. The manual says to keep the FOB within 1.5 meters of the sensor...so with it being in your jacket pocket....on either side should be sufficient.

I've also had a few "Right & Left indicator" fault messages...when working normally they flash fine...but when the fault message appears, they still both work but flash fast like a blown globe on a normal bike. I have the LED turn signals too, I believe the US still uses the old incandescent bulbs, is that correct..??

I've been in contact with my dealer and he has suggested I do a "reset" using the 10 second Mode/set button procedure...I'm going to give that a whirl some time today and see what happens.

As yours does...mine rides great too...handles exceptionally well considering it's 260kg weight...certainly doesn't feel that heavy when riding....it actually feels a bit lighter on it's feet than my BMW S1000XR which is only 228kg.

Smithy.
22 miles / 35 km away is better than it being in your hometown! But 50 miles/80km  would even be better for CCS charging when you can charge up at home. Especially if 50 miles / 80 km in the direction you want to pass by.

I am not sure what type of turn signals my Expera has. I would check but it's 100 miles/ 161km away from me right now. Here in Reno, NV it is now snowing somewhat heavy. No way could I ride the bike back here. I only have my 2020 Energia SS9- here. Let me check it.

Yep. The turn signals look Incandescent. All the other lamps on the bike are LED. But that is the 2020 Esse Esse 9. I will have to check the Experia when I head back to my CA house in a week or two.

Yeah, the Experia feels like a very light bike when it's ridden, even if very slowly.  But I doubt if it will feel light if we drop it!

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 09:57:26 AM »

Hi Don,

I haven't tried CCS charging yet, unfortunately there isn't one near to where I live, closest one is ~35km (22miles) away. When charging, it says "Extimated Time left" instead of "Estimated"...I suspect it might be an Italian translation thing...or whomever wrote the code can't spell.. ;)

I get the "Key out of range" mesage quite often too...and I have my FOB in the "Frunk", so less than 1 foot away from the sensor....which BTW lives behind the right side dash panel about 1.5" to the lower right of the LCD screen. The manual says to keep the FOB within 1.5 meters of the sensor...so with it being in your jacket pocket....on either side should be sufficient.

I've also had a few "Right & Left indicator" fault messages...when working normally they flash fine...but when the fault message appears, they still both work but flash fast like a blown globe on a normal bike. I have the LED turn signals too, I believe the US still uses the old incandescent bulbs, is that correct..??

I've been in contact with my dealer and he has suggested I do a "reset" using the 10 second Mode/set button procedure...I'm going to give that a whirl some time today and see what happens.

As yours does...mine rides great too...handles exceptionally well considering it's 260kg weight...certainly doesn't feel that heavy when riding....it actually feels a bit lighter on it's feet than my BMW S1000XR which is only 228kg.

Smithy.
22 miles / 35 km away is better than it being in your hometown! But 50 miles/80km  would even be better for CCS charging when you can charge up at home. Especially if 50 miles / 80 km in the direction you want to pass by.

I am not sure what type of turn signals my Expera has. I would check but it's 100 miles/ 161km away from me right now. Here in Reno, NV it is now snowing somewhat heavy. No way could I ride the bike back here. I only have my 2020 Energia SS9- here. Let me check it.

Yep. The turn signals look Incandescent. All the other lamps on the bike are LED. But that is the 2020 Esse Esse 9. I will have to check the Experia when I head back to my CA house in a week or two.

Yeah, the Experia feels like a very light bike when it's ridden, even if very slowly.  But I doubt if it will feel light if we drop it!

-Don-  Reno, NV
The manual shows the US version has DOT approved incandescent turn signals where all others have LED. There must be some dumb DOT regulation that requires motorcycles to have incandescent turn signals.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »

The manual shows the US version has DOT approved incandescent turn signals where all others have LED. There must be some dumb DOT regulation that requires motorcycles to have incandescent turn signals.
We cannot have flashing LEDs in the USA, so that is the issue. See here.

"As a general principle, LEDs are legal so long as they remain concealed and unlit on roads and do not flash or include the colors red or blue for obvious reasons."

Since turn signals flash, that must be the issue.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 07:28:26 PM »

Its part of the display. I dont have a dealer around me for 400 miles so Ill keep it on. Only they can remove it, Im at 2010 miles now.
82% SOC and only 41 miles range left? Have you been riding at 90 MPH?

Or was that just after a charge when the range shown is flakey for a few miles?  There are more bugs in the Experia than in my SS9-. But none of them are big deals, except for the fact that I cannot use newer CCS Chargepoint chargers. I wonder how much of that is the fault of Energica Vs. ChargePoint. I hope CP fixes that incompatibly issue soon!

I kinda think the charging flakiness is also part Energica's fault.  CCS cars have a lot less hassles than the bike (in most cases) to get them started. Cars can follow the CCS instructions. Often, where it says "plug in first" you must plug in last with the Energicas or they may not charge at all. I think the Energica times out too fast at the initiation screen.

More bugs are expected with the Experia, IMO.  The SS9- has been around much longer and they had a lot of time to remove any bugs than with the Experia.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Im about as mellow of a rider there is. I had mentioned this in a previous post. Twice now Ive seen a range above 45ish. Even at 100% dont see high range. I can go on a 100 mile ride and it will always say 35ish miles left. I rode it home from the dealer with 5 miles on the ODO, 50 miles all highway and it read 38 mile range. Back then I didnt think anything of it, thought it needed to calibrate or something. Well its still the same. That, and my ambient temp is almost exactly 10 degrees F too high always. That one is easy to mentally correct.
Joe

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 11:58:58 PM »

Joesedroid - what does your AVG consumption look like in comparison to the expected range? I use W/mi and see my expected range update with each average w/mi adjustment by the bike.

My temp is also 10 degrees to high.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 12:41:51 AM »

Had the same issue the first couple of 100km. Now close to 500km ODO, it miraculously turned to show a more realistic range. I also noticed during the first rides that whenever I switched the ExPee on, the consumption screen showed a high initial peak. No wonder that the computer includes this in the range calculation, leading to something around 50km range. I had to ride it so the consumption screen graph is overwritten by current consumption figures and after 20km or so it returned to realistic figures. But on next startup, it was all the same.
For whatever reason, this initial high peak disappeared now and it shows whatever consumption I had with my recent rides.

A side effect: Also during those initial 100‘s of kilometers, the bike wouldn‘t remember my custom settings C1-C3. It always started up with a set up that appeared to me as random.

At the same time the consumption graph was self-corrected, the bike also remembered by C1-C3 settings as I have programmed it.

I can only assume there are some calibration processes in the background that are now completed.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 02:41:24 AM »

There are many reasons to never look at range left. Just watch the SOC and use it.  SOC times 1.5 will probably be an accurate range for most rides. IOW, 50% SOC= 75 miles range left at moderate speeds.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 03:07:39 AM »

SOC times 1.5 will probably be an accurate range for most rides. IOW, 50% SOC= 75 miles range left at moderate speeds.
-Don-  Reno, NV

Interesting way of looking at it....hadn't occured to me to use that way of range measurement...I'll give it a try and see how it goes...Thank you Sir  ;D

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 10:54:01 AM »

There are many reasons to never look at range left. Just watch the SOC and use it.  SOC times 1.5 will probably be an accurate range for most rides. IOW, 50% SOC= 75 miles range left at moderate speeds.

Don, I‘m basically with you.
However, for me there‘s also one damn good reason to look at the range left: Because it‘s there, and always right glancing back at me! So I can‘t help but recognize that number. This is simply how my brain works.
I do 18km commuting trips a lot, so for me factor 1.2 works better cause of the many accelerations and delays to city limits or city highway limits (50/100kmph).
Guess I‘m not the only person seeing it that way; just compare the thread where people are complaining about the range left being completely off after upgrading to SW Ver042 on their Ribelles. That would annoy me as well…
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 12:28:43 PM »

Don, I‘m basically with you.
However, for me there‘s also one damn good reason to look at the range left: Because it‘s there, and always right glancing back at me! So I can‘t help but recognize that number. This is simply how my brain works.
I do 18km commuting trips a lot, so for me factor 1.2 works better cause of the many accelerations and delays to city limits or city highway limits (50/100kmph).
Guess I‘m not the only person seeing it that way; just compare the thread where people are complaining about the range left being completely off after upgrading to SW Ver042 on their Ribelles. That would annoy me as well…
Since most of my rides are uphill and then down hill, such as between here and my other house, the "range left" indication is as useless as it can get. It's much worse for those who start out downhill. You go to the bottom of the hill, and it could say you have 150 miles / km left. Turn around and ride ten miles and it can l say you have five miles/km  left.

SOC won't be 100% accurate in the hills either, but will be MUCH closer than "range left".

BTW, "range left" will be very accurate if the conditions do not change. But reality is we usually don't stay in the same conditions for long. We may even have to go back home to where we started! If one way was downhill with the wind, the 250 miles range left could  soon change to 10 miles when you make the u-turn after driving only a few miles. It recalculates your range every ten miles /16 km for your current conditions, ignoring all other facts.

Battery SOC is a lot more accurate and dependable. We can figure out ourselves that the battery will drain a bit faster uphill than downhill.

If I could turn off the "range left", I would.  Zeros can have it display something else that is more useful than "range left" IIRC.

-Don-  Reno,  NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 12:42:35 PM »

In metric setting , range is calculated every 10km. Where I live the surface is dead flat, so on boring 200km like trips it’s a good indicator if you have to adjust your consumption and the range displayed at fast charging is sort of accurate.

I do fully agree that range is not representative in hills or when racing traffic lights and that a manual calculation on SOC is always superior. That said, when range is displayed it has to work properly and not display the value (and charge time estimate) as where the old (10kwh)battery is fitted, I think this mistake in FW 42 is embarrassing.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2023, 07:44:38 AM »

Finally reached 1000km this morning on the commute to work....and the little "wrench/spanner" service light appeared on the dash as predicted...

My dealer has given me a couple of "hacks" to try to turn the service light off, I'll give them a go and see if that does the trick.

The one way commute for me this morning is ~53km from my home to work and I used 20% SOC....so with the 80% left and 287km remaining, simple math says 20% of 287 is 57km...which gives me a theoretical total range of ~344km.... not bad for 95% 100kmh motorway. I know it doesn't work that way but I'm seeing some pretty good battery range out of the Experia...not complaints from me. ;D

Smithy.

When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2023, 05:09:54 AM »

Finally reached 1000km this morning on the commute to work....and the little "wrench/spanner" service light appeared on the dash as predicted...

My dealer has given me a couple of "hacks" to try to turn the service light off, I'll give them a go and see if that does the trick.

The one way commute for me this morning is ~53km from my home to work and I used 20% SOC....so with the 80% left and 287km remaining, simple math says 20% of 287 is 57km...which gives me a theoretical total range of ~344km.... not bad for 95% 100kmh motorway. I know it doesn't work that way but I'm seeing some pretty good battery range out of the Experia...not complaints from me. ;D

Smithy.

I tried the "service light reset hack" my dealer gave me....doesn't work....so the service light is still on. Id' still love to be able to turn it off without travelling 100's of km out of my way. I asked them what happens to people who live a long way away from their nearest dealer/service centre... and they couldn't really tell me. There must be a way of doing these things. I suspect firmware updates will also be an issue if they are required. I believe V.43 is out now, my Experia is still using V.42 so whether the v.43 update has anything relating to the Experia or not I don't know.. :-\

I tried one of my own OBD-II hand held diagnostic units, it gave me the vehicle information, software version and a few other things, battery voltage reports as 12.56v, which is interesting. I suspect the Energica OBD-II protocols are quite different to most normal vehicles, I get little to no response from most of the "options". It did enable me to erase the indicator fault code I had, which is a small bonus I guess.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:15:56 AM by smithy »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2023, 11:53:47 PM »

Not going to bother visiting the dealer to turn off my service spanner either (Rebelle).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 12:37:58 AM by Pard »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2023, 01:30:03 AM »

Not going to bother visiting the dealer to turn off my service spanner either (Rebelle).
Many dealers have a policy to not turn off those lights unless they do all the recommended service themselves. YMMV.

I plan on leaving mine on forever, just as I do with my MotoGuzzi. Little things like that do not bother me a bit.

-Don-  Tucson, AZ
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X