• September 22, 2024, 06:25:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Experia CCS Charging with ChargePoint  (Read 4767 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Experia CCS Charging with ChargePoint
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 06:27:22 AM »

Those chargers don't work for the 21.5 bikes either. Guess  Energica changed something in the charging behavior between the older and newer bikes.

Anyone know why charging is so finicky on the Energicas in general? I've never had a problem with CCS on my Chevy unless the charger is broken.
Chevy Bolt?  When I was in Borrego Desert State Park, an older Bolt tried to use the J-1772 at the library. It would NOT plug in. Look at the top of your charge port on your Bolt. See that metal thingy? That was preventing it from plugging in the J-1772. Do you know what that thingy is and why it would prevent some J-1772's from plugging in?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

electrictwowheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »

On my Chevy Spark the silver metal thingy is the latch for the CCS handle when DC charging.  It should have nothing to do with AC charging. Maybe it was stuck or something. I'm in Borrego Springs and have been using that charge station at the library on my Zero. The Spark has had a history of not working on EA BCC brand chargers. They got that fixed but now it doesn't work on EVgo. There are EVCS level 3 chargers in Oregon that won't work on the Spark either so sadly, Energica isn't the only EV with compatibility issues. I think Level 3 comunication is much more complicated than Level 2. You can spoof a level 2 station with just a small diode and resistor. Some people say just the resistor will do it. I can charge my standup scooter on a level two charger, lol.
2020 SR/S Premium
2007 Vectrix Lithium Conversion

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2023, 10:26:29 AM »

On my Chevy Spark the silver metal thingy is the latch for the CCS handle when DC charging.  It should have nothing to do with AC charging. Maybe it was stuck or something. I'm in Borrego Springs and have been using that charge station at the library on my Zero. The Spark has had a history of not working on EA BCC brand chargers. They got that fixed but now it doesn't work on EVgo. There are EVCS level 3 chargers in Oregon that won't work on the Spark either so sadly, Energica isn't the only EV with compatibility issues. I think Level 3 comunication is much more complicated than Level 2. You can spoof a level 2 station with just a small diode and resistor. Some people say just the resistor will do it. I can charge my standup scooter on a level two charger, lol.
Yeah, I also wondered if that thingy was stuck. I just looked at my 2022 Chevy Bolt. It also has that thingy, but in a much different position than the Bolt at the library down there. That is my Zero DS  in the photo there. Is the other photo of the elctric bikes show one of yours?

There is no true communication from J-1772 other than the pilot signal to tell the car how many watts/amps to reduce its charger to, if any. I use external chargers on my Zero that ignore the pilot signal and can simply charge to the max., even if it shuts down the J-1772 charge station. Yes, it only takes a resistor to activate J-1772. The diode doesn't do much, AFAIK. J-1772 is simply an AC source as is an AC outlet inside of a house. Nothing complicated about it.

OTOH, level 3 CCS has to be as complicated as hell, as it has to work with countless different batteries. J-1772 only feeds the charger inside the EV. The charger in the EV is matched to the battery. It doesn't have to work with any other batteries, unlike CCS.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 10:28:38 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

electrictwowheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 09:50:50 AM »

No, that's not me at the library. I have a blue SR/S. There is a pic of my bike at Don's Market in Santa Ysabel though.
I use an adapter I built to run external chargers on my Vectrix and on my previous Brammo Empulse and whatever. I have shut down a couple of charge stations also. There is always some level of anxiety when I use DCF chargers. I have had to resort to level 2 a couple of times and the Spark is only a 3000 watt OBC. Keep a book in the car, ha ha
2020 SR/S Premium
2007 Vectrix Lithium Conversion

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 09:39:00 PM »

The metal thingy is a lock to keep the cable plugged in while charging I am betting.  Safety feature.   Yes they can get stuck, especially if someone interrupts a charge cycle and does not understand that the thing needs to be 'released' and tries to Neanderthal the locked in place cable out, bending it, before going. OOOOhhhh.. so THAT's how that works !!   sometimes software can get buggy and not release it properly either, but yes it might be in the locked position and you are trying to plug the cable in with it essentially.. in the way.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 10:07:04 PM »

The metal thingy is a lock to keep the cable plugged in while charging I am betting.  Safety feature.   Yes they can get stuck, especially if someone interrupts a charge cycle and does not understand that the thing needs to be 'released' and tries to Neanderthal the locked in place cable out, bending it, before going. OOOOhhhh.. so THAT's how that works !!   sometimes software can get buggy and not release it properly either, but yes it might be in the locked position and you are trying to plug the cable in with it essentially.. in the way.

Aaron
Yeah, I am thinking the same, it was probably forced out when locked. And now because of how it is stuck, it prevents a J-plug from going back in.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 04:04:04 AM »

If you removed it I am sure it would work fine BUT !!!!!
God help you if that plug is pulling some amps and you wiggle it loose and start drawing an arc across it, it will quickly spread and flash I would pretty much guarantee, at that point you got a huge mess.

I hit a DC arc at about 50 volt with maybe 180 amp on a genset I was playing with and it made a nice mess.  I don't want to think of what a bike at 300 volts or worse a car at 850 volts will do when you pull apart contacts with that current flowing thru it.

Also, because of the way stuff works, I would be willing to bet, that the current cutoff won't be instantaneously either, it might take a second or so for something to realize, hey.. im not charging anymore, lets shut down, and that essentially lets you potentially be exposed to the high voltage.  Brass and copper is not steel, you start arc welding and it's going to bloom and  splatter quite nicely id imagine.

Aaron

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2023, 11:31:20 PM »

Thinking about this, I learned the dance for my SS9 on EVGO. I had to have the bike on for at least a minute or so, have the charging session activated for several seconds then to plug in. I had 5 tries to figure this out. I wouldn't make the handshake from not already having the bike on or after just starting the charging session. I hope this improves over time. This was with their 50kw charger version( https://www.plugshare.com/location/63491 ).
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 01:13:22 AM »

Thinking about this, I learned the dance for my SS9 on EVGO. I had to have the bike on for at least a minute or so, have the charging session activated for several seconds then to plug in. I had 5 tries to figure this out. I wouldn't make the handshake from not already having the bike on or after just starting the charging session. I hope this improves over time. This was with their 50kw charger version( https://www.plugshare.com/location/63491 ).
You must be Aaron.

Is your SS9 also a 2020 model? I never had a problem with EV-Go, and I never tried to charge with the bike on and I am wondering if that really made any difference. The wait before plugging in (and especially where it says to plug in first!) I find is necessary. But I still hope you're right about keeping the bike on makes a difference as that is something I can try with the new ChargePoint's that I never tried.  I really want those new Chagepoints to work on my Experia as they are in my favorite locations to charge just about everywhere.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 03:53:47 AM »

Nope, that is not me, im in Florida, that link is pulling up california for me.

They do have a few chargers around town here, I really should try some of the fast chargers just to see if they work.

Im flipping a coin back and forth about getting one for my garage, but jesus,  10 grand for a charger is a bit steep.  I just want a 10k or 20k one.  Feed it with a 100 amp feed off the 240 mains and were good.  I can put up to 400 amp service in here, when they built the house, I had them pull the cable for it, but just have it hooked for 200 Amp now. the box is there, just connect to it.  I already knew I was going to be doing the solar thing and knew Id be playing with power,just not that id be charging a bike :D

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 07:06:48 AM »

They do have a few chargers around town here, I really should try some of the fast chargers just to see if they work.

Im flipping a coin back and forth about getting one for my garage, but jesus,  10 grand for a charger is a bit steep.  I just want a 10k or 20k one.  Feed it with a 100 amp feed off the 240 mains and were good.  I can put up to 400 amp service in here, when they built the house, I had them pull the cable for it, but just have it hooked for 200 Amp now. the box is there, just connect to it.  I already knew I was going to be doing the solar thing and knew Id be playing with power,just not that id be charging a bike :D

Aaron
Why are you in such a hurry for a home charge?  I use a Tesla Wall connector, a little less than 12KW for my Tesla and then I use a Teslatap for J-1772 for my Chevy Bolt and any of my electric motorcycles. I find that is always fast enough for me when home. When on the road, at least 50 miles from home is where we normally want fast.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2023, 05:48:10 AM »

Aaron
Why are you in such a hurry for a home charge? 

-Don-  Reno, NV

Because the Energica charges 3kw to 3.5 MAX with an AC wall charger.  Yes my converted level 1/2 charger will handle 40 amps BUT, the bike will only allow 13 to 14 max that I seen since on AC it's actually the bike's charger that is doing the work.  I run to my friends house and thats 30 to 35 percent off the battery.  We want to go riding, I don't want to diddle around for 2 hours waiting for it to get close to back up top, Id like to hit it for maybe 20 minutes and get there.  My house intentionally runs hot, I can push 255 volts on my mains, that helps a little bit.  Everywhere else, especially in older neighborhoods, it's pushing 220 to 230 volts on the main, less when you load it.  times the 13 amp max,  even more time to charge.

I also plan on getting an electric truck too eventually when they settle out and the wait time is not a year on them, it'd be nice to home charge that at a decent rate too so i don't HAVE to pay 50 cent / kw hr at a charger or wait in line at a charger etc.  I charge at home on my own time.  I have solar and a nice big battery bank.  This would work well for me.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 11:38:31 AM »

Because the Energica charges 3kw to 3.5 MAX with an AC wall charger.  Yes my converted level 1/2 charger will handle 40 amps BUT, the bike will only allow 13 to 14 max that I seen since on AC it's actually the bike's charger that is doing the work.  I run to my friends house and thats 30 to 35 percent off the battery.  We want to go riding, I don't want to diddle around for 2 hours waiting for it to get close to back up top, Id like to hit it for maybe 20 minutes and get there.  My house intentionally runs hot, I can push 255 volts on my mains, that helps a little bit.  Everywhere else, especially in older neighborhoods, it's pushing 220 to 230 volts on the main, less when you load it.  times the 13 amp max,  even more time to charge.

I also plan on getting an electric truck too eventually when they settle out and the wait time is not a year on them, it'd be nice to home charge that at a decent rate too so i don't HAVE to pay 50 cent / kw hr at a charger or wait in line at a charger etc.  I charge at home on my own time.  I have solar and a nice big battery bank.  This would work well for me.

Aaron
OIC. Perhaps the best way to handle that is to ride irritatingly slow to you friend's house, if possible. Even a fast charger will not make up for the time differences lost from higher speeds.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2023, 12:19:01 AM »

my friend is getting an e bike too, we both will have a charger.  Nothing wrong with charging with a decent speed unless of course only certain people are allowed to have the better toys? 

I drive to his shop at least once a week to pick stuff up, until we both actually DO get a charger and only I have one,  no problem at all dropping the charger off there on a friday afternoon, he takes it home, plugs it in, i come by charge in the morning and we head out for our romp around town. 

At the end of the ride, I can charge at his place again if I want while we have a few beers and wind down and chat a bit more, his brother generally shows up about that time too and we just BS.  If there is a fast charger there, then YES we CAN do our trip down to St Augustine and play around a bit, and I won't have to be worried about showing up at his place with 20 percent charge or so, instead of say 35  or so, so I can make it home.  It will allow us to make our trip and not worry about being able to find a charging station that works.  Unlike california, or nevada.. florida does not have a fast charger ever few miles. 

We've discussed this AND planned our trips on mileage and being able to possibly trickle some juice in here or there.  Since I just fiddle around mostly during the week, slow charging on AC is not an issue during the weekday.  Again, eventually when I get my electric truck, this charger will work very well there too.

sorry it does not fit in with your plans but it works for me.

Aaron

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023, 01:58:39 AM »

Aaron
Aaron, Aaron, nice to meet you!

You must be Aaron.

Is your SS9 also a 2020 model? I never had a problem with EV-Go, and I never tried to charge with the bike on and I am wondering if that really made any difference. The wait before plugging in (and especially where it says to plug in first!) I find is necessary. But I still hope you're right about keeping the bike on makes a difference as that is something I can try with the new ChargePoint's that I never tried.  I really want those new Chagepoints to work on my Experia as they are in my favorite locations to charge just about everywhere.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yep, it is a 2020. I had a charger timeout when I plugged it in with the bike not already on.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5