• September 22, 2024, 04:49:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Experia CCS Charging with ChargePoint  (Read 4763 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Experia CCS Charging with ChargePoint
« on: February 18, 2023, 10:40:00 AM »

I confirmed it is true, the CCS fast chargers I use the most on my 2020 Esse Esse 9- which work perfectly with it, will NOT work at all on my 2023 Energica Experia.

What happens is it gets stuck on the initiation screen and never goes to charging.

I tried to charge here with CCS, I ended up using the J-1772 and charged at 3KW. I really didn't need the charge, I had enough juice to get home after my 104 mile / 167km ride today. But I wanted to see for myself. I hear this is a ChargePoint issue, not so much Energica. I heard that CP's new FW is not meeting all the criteria requirements for CCS and it only effects very few vehicles, the Experia being one of them. I hope it gets fixed soon.

If all Experias will try to charge on such and leave a note on Plugshare that they couldn't charge, perhaps it will help with getting a fix faster.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

AsHperson

• View Profile
Re: Experia CCS Charging with ChargePoint
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 11:22:02 AM »

I confirmed it is true, the CCS fast chargers I use the most on my 2020 Esse Esse 9- which work perfectly with it, will NOT work at all on my 2023 Energica Experia.

What happens is it gets stuck on the initiation screen and never goes to charging.

I tried to charge here with CCS, I ended up using the J-1772 and charged at 3KW. I really didn't need the charge, I had enough juice to get home after my 104 mile / 167km ride today. But I wanted to see for myself. I hear this is a ChargePoint issue, not so much Energica. I heard that CP's new FW is not meeting all the criteria requirements for CCS and it only effects very few vehicles, the Experia being one of them. I hope it gets fixed soon.

If all Experias will try to charge on such and leave a note on Plugshare that they couldn't charge, perhaps it will help with getting a fix faster.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
This will be a top priority. Mention this to the guy here on Twitter and he may post about it. He has a lot of influence with charging companies!
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 02:36:56 AM »

Those chargers don't work for the 21.5 bikes either. Guess  Energica changed something in the charging behavior between the older and newer bikes.

Anyone know why charging is so finicky on the Energicas in general? I've never had a problem with CCS on my Chevy unless the charger is broken.

AsHperson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 03:49:12 AM »

Setting up my charging apps, turns out they don't know what the Experia is, it's the Green Tourer.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 10:28:29 AM »

I left a note under the guy's YouTube about the CP incompatibility issue with the 2023 Energica Experia with CP's latest FW.

But I wonder why they work perfectly with my 2020 SS9-. What is the big difference between the two? Voltages are the same, aren't they? Why should it care about the size of the battery when it is larger than my 2020 SS9-?

BTW, today I did my first fast charge with EV-GO. No problems at all. On Plugshare right here.

Photo of my bike and all.

BTW, I have been riding it all day again. I just love the way it feels on windy roads. And has good enough range to ride with ICE bikes, as I did today.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 08:30:26 PM »

I’ve only used ChargePoint’s 240v AC chargers and those have been fine. I’ve only seen one ChargePoint CCS charger in the wild and that one was broken. I usually have issues getting older CCS chargers to work but while on my Labor Day weekend ride to Reno most of my charging stops had the newer Electrify America (or was it EVGo?) CCS chargers and those worked without issue.

IMHO if the CCS network keeps improving like the newer Electrify America units, Tesla’s Supercharger network advantage will disappear in a couple of years. I’m looking forward to trying a Supercharger once it’s opened up to CCS vehicles to see if I’ll be able to successfully charge my Ribelle.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 02:26:22 AM by BigPoppa »
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Dryer667

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:49:34 PM »

On my current trip I have had two CP CCS chargers work and two that didn't. Unfortunately many of the screens were so beaten up I couldn't access the machine to check the firmware to see if that is the problem. EA was my go-to on the ride down and I didnt have problems until I got to the LA area (two or three that would not connect or only charge at 8kw. EVgo has been more reliable in the last couple of days but less prevalent.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 03:58:49 AM »

I think part of all the incompatibility issues you are seeing is in part, also, due to insurance and liability.
In Fast charge, the charger kind of takes over some of the 'overhead' of the charging process.  So with that, your car has a bad battery and goes woof, in today's sue happy society, that don't matter it's YOUR FAULT, because I don't want to pay for the new car, (even though the problem was me) so I'll get some sleazebag lawyer to sue sue sue !!

The companies have to protect themselves from the whiplash wangs wandering around out there so probably want to know a great detail about the vehicle being charged so they can display 'due diligence' to ward off one of these lawsuits.  Granted most vehicles the vehicle itself will be the 'master' controller of the charge evolution, but just in case it comes across one that isn't and has to go into 'general baseline bluebook protocol' to charge it's battery... or one that the comms are not working perfectly etc.  By knowing beforehand the exact specs of what it was told it is charging, it knows how to handle it. 

Not to mention, this keeps programmers in a job because they have to constantly update the database every time a new model or change comes out.  Job security you know !  :D

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 10:05:19 AM »

I’ve only used ChargePoint’s 240v AC chargers and those have been fine. I’ve only seen one ChargePoint CCS charger in the wild and that one was broken. I usually have issues getting older CCS chargers to work but while on my Labor Day weekend ride to Reno most of my charging stops had the newer Electrify America (or was it EVGo?) CCS chargers and those worked without issue.

IMHO if the CCS network keeps improving like the newer Electrify America units, Tesla’s Supercharger network advantage will disappear in a couple of years. I’m looking forward to trying a Supercharger once it’s opened up to CCS vehicles to see if I’ll be able to successfully charge my Ribelle.
Most of the CCS chargers on I-80 from Loomis to Reno are EV-Go. No EA's that I know of, and I am glad of that. I like to use the cards to activate the chargers and EA requires a Smartphone, they are the only ones that I know of that do not have a card (Tesla doesn't count as those Superchargers read your VIN). I do have to carry a lot of EV charge cards, but that is no issue to me. I also have the Smartphone with all the EV charge companies on it, but I normally have it off.

There are countless CCS chargers in the wild in this part of CA.  I have a directory for them on my GPS for each electric bike. I keep adding them to it from Plugshare for the areas I will be riding in.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 01:52:27 AM »

I thought I got this working a month ago but today, 1st time since, I tried for 20 mins on 2 different chargers. "DC fast charge Initialization" on the bike and "waiting for EV" So still very disappointing.   

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 02:07:32 AM »

I thought I got this working a month ago but today, 1st time since, I tried for 20 mins on 2 different chargers. "DC fast charge Initialization" on the bike and "waiting for EV" So still very disappointing.
I take it those are the new ChargePoint CCS stations with both plugs on the right side of the charger.

That was the exact same issue I had when I tried to charge up with a new ChargePoint CCS station.  "Waiting for EV." I assume would wait for years, if I didn't disconnect.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 04:42:58 AM »

I had the most amazing, unbelievable experience today Electrify America. Pulled up with no expectation of anything working. No one was anywhere near the 4 stations, the 1st one I picked showed working but my app said it wasnt. I moved over one, started the app, plugged in and in 30 mins I went from 38% to 85%. No issues at all. Maintained about 15kw the entire time. So, not sure what this means but I was extremely happy.
I know this isnt a Chargepoint but this is the 1st time I was able to charge without a phone call or giving up.
Joe

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 06:10:47 AM »

I had the most amazing, unbelievable experience today Electrify America. Pulled up with no expectation of anything working. No one was anywhere near the 4 stations, the 1st one I picked showed working but my app said it wasnt. I moved over one, started the app, plugged in and in 30 mins I went from 38% to 85%. No issues at all. Maintained about 15kw the entire time. So, not sure what this means but I was extremely happy.
I know this isnt a Chargepoint but this is the 1st time I was able to charge without a phone call or giving up.
Joe
The newer Chargepoints, the ones that will not work with my Experia, work the best of all on my SS9-.

EA depends. Perhaps on their FW version also. Some work very well and some will not work on Energica bikes at all, no matter what is done.  It is usually helpful to NOT read the instructions on the CCS charge station. That is where our bikes get in trouble. Never plug in first, and ESPEALLY on the machines that say they require such for the charger to work! With AE, best to first activate on their app wait a few seconds and then plug in to your bike. I think the bike times out too fast for the charger on the initiation screen.

But there is at least one exception.

I have seen a few chargers where we really must plug in first, but those few always seem to work. IIRC, those were EV-Connect, common here in NV.

So what you have to do at different charge stations to make them work with our bikes, it is not only different between charge station companies, but also with their models of charger and FW version. Sometimes I spend almost as much time trying to get a CCS  machine to work as I do for the entire charge. A couple of times, I gave up and made it to the next charge station which worked on the first try.

FWIW, I have also seen CCS chargers that would work on my bike that would not work on a car.

You kinda have to remember what works best for each location and even that can change when they update the FW.

I also hear it is best to have the kickstand away from the charger as there is a better connection to the pins on top that are the most critical to get the charger to start. IOW, so the weight of the cable is not pushing down on the plug.

CCS  is usually kind of flakey at best.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TF104

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 09:08:01 AM »

Joe
yeah when a quick charger works on the first try with my energica it feels like i won the lottery. unfortunatly this is a rare occurance and it is very stressful getting a charger to work

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 10:02:26 PM »

Hmm, so putting the kickstand on one side .vs. the other gives a gentle tug to the cable to make a better connection and the thing works.

firstly that's just terrible engineering there, but anyways.

maybe make some sort of spring attachment on the bike you can like bungee wrap around the cord at the plug head or something and, for lack of a better phrase.. wrap it, tension it, and pull to the left, to force the cable to engage in a 'better direction'.  All of this contraption can easily coil up under the seat.

Some of  ya'all are very creative, if this genuinely IS a problem of concern, this seems like it can be an easy fix.

Just my 2 watts worth.

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5