• October 01, 2024, 04:25:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Diagnose this  (Read 3063 times)

Pard

• View Profile
Diagnose this
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:24:44 AM »

Rebelle shuts off 30 miles into my ride. Started at 100% charge, bike died at 70%.

Cannot get the screen to power on, the Energica electric heartbeat LED and right rear turn signal will illuminate, weakly, for 2 seconds when pressing key on.

Towed home to garage.  Bike will not power on when plugged in to charge.  Heartbeat LED and right rear turn signal will illuminate for 2 seconds, then go dark.

Red immobilizer light flashing slowly every few seconds.

WTF !?

Dealer and Energica CA notified.

more than 24hrs later, still no recommendations from either.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:33:54 AM by Pard »

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Diagnose this
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 06:06:44 AM »

Rebelle shuts off 30 miles into my ride. Started at 100% charge, bike died at 70%.

Cannot get the screen to power on, the Energica electric heartbeat LED and right rear turn signal will illuminate, weakly, for 2 seconds when pressing key on.

Towed home to garage.  Bike will not power on when plugged in to charge.  Heartbeat LED and right rear turn signal will illuminate for 2 seconds, then go dark.

Red immobilizer light flashing slowly every few seconds.

WTF !?

Dealer and Energica CA notified.

more than 24hrs later, still no recommendations from either.

Hmmm, I wonder if you're having issues with the tiny 315ma fuse which Don had an argument with a while back..?? Worth checking I guess.

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12287.0

Smithy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 06:10:25 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 10:26:34 AM »

Hmmm, I wonder if you're having issues with the tiny 315ma fuse which Don had an argument with a while back..?? Worth checking I guess.

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12287.0

Smithy.
Probably not, as my bike made no difference key on or off, nothing changed. Also would not charge. Was as dead as can be.

-Don-  Borrego Springs, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 01:57:28 PM »

My theory is a faulty DC to DC converter.  Not putting out enough voltage, but not completely dead.

Could also be a short somewhere.

Not confident this will be an easy or quick resolution.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 02:57:01 PM »

Video of the symptom:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 04:12:12 PM by Pard »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 11:21:40 PM »

Here is some video of my ride taken shortly before the failure. 

Since I was still new to the bike, I was not in an educated position to detect any abnormal sounds or operation.

Does it seem like everything is normal to you guys?

Did not capture the failure on video, unfortunately.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:46:26 AM »

Well, I could only hear the whine of the reduction gear. That appears to be perfectly normal.
One „incident“ I realized towards the end: There seemed to have been a bump in the ride, like you hit a pothole or similar. A small jump in the drivetrain sound - but again nothing to worry about; to be expected when riding less-than-perfect roads.

I did not notice anything unusual hinting to your observed failure. Well good luck with your dealer and pressing thumbs for a super fast repair!
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 12:47:20 AM »

Thank you!

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 01:15:37 AM »

Good news. 

I have been contacted by Energica, that they have discussed what needs to be done, communicated with my dealer, and I should soon be contacted by my dealer for next steps.

Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds positive!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 06:46:04 AM »

That almost sounds like how it behaves when you try to turn it on with the key fob out of range.  it blips the screens lights for a second then shuts right back down.

Next steps is probably you bringing the bike back to the dealer, or depending how terrible it is, them sending someone to you.
Hopefully it's resolved quickly.  Having infant mortality on a new bike just suxxx.

aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 07:46:35 AM »

That almost sounds like how it behaves when you try to turn it on with the key fob out of range.  it blips the screens lights for a second then shuts right back down.

Next steps is probably you bringing the bike back to the dealer, or depending how terrible it is, them sending someone to you.
Hopefully it's resolved quickly.  Having infant mortality on a new bike just suxxx.

aaron
Could it just be a weak FOB battery? Weak FOB batteries do weird things. For an example, my Harley cannot be started and will NOT let me put in my PIN number. The ONLY fix is to get the FOB out of range or remove the weak FOB battery (so I can enter the PIN). Or replace the battery with a new one!

And ALWAYS check NEW FOB batteries when they are installed. I have seen MANY weak NEW FOB as well as TPMS batteries.   I own many vehicles with many TPMS, & FOBs and I probably find 15% of the replacement batteries to be weak when NEW. Shelf life is poor on small batteries, and it is rather random how long they will last with from same dates,

-Don-  Borrego Springs, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 03:51:26 PM »

Not the FOB.  Tried with the passive key (green) as well.

Dealer and Energica CA ruled out the key issue.

Dealer is picking up the bike today and they will remote diagnose with CA by waking up the CAN BUS with a computer interface and see what they find.

Stay tuned!

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 06:09:36 PM »

Talk about gremlins in the machine!

Getting the bike ready for pickup this AM.  I pressed the start button, and the bike turned on!

Nothing showed up in the diagnostic screen.

Really weird behavior. 

Sat for 3 days without being able to initialize, but today it did.

Thoughts????

Maybe some capacitor was malfunctioning and need 3 days to bleed voltage to get back to a stable state?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 06:27:01 PM by Pard »

Valen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 08:28:19 PM »

Getting the bike ready for pickup this AM.  I pressed the start button, and the bike turned on!

Really weird behavior. 

Thoughts????

Maybe some capacitor was malfunctioning and need 3 days to bleed voltage to get back to a stable state?

I had sort the of the same issue. Bike died at 37%, showed 0% battery in one second. It wasn't detected by my wallbox, couldn't turn it on, immobilizer didn't even blink.

2 days later, i could turn on the bike, plugged it immediatly and charged it. Then drove to the dealer. We plugged the bike to a computer and the guys in italy took control of it.

The summary of my journey is here: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12343.0

Bike is performing flawlessly since.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 08:29:27 PM »

Really weird behavior. 

Thoughts????

I had sort the of the same issue. Bike died at 37%, showed 0% battery in one second. It wasn't detected by my wallbox, couldn't turn it on, immobilizer didn't even blink.

2 days later, i could turn on the bike, plugged it immediatly and charged it. Then drove to the dealer. We plugged the bike to a computer and the guys in italy took control of it.

The summary of my journey is here: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=12343.0

Bike is performing flawlessly since.

Appreciate this very much.  Will read about your experience right now.

"Range estimate takes 5 charging cycles so it's normal that it's f... at the beginning.

On my side, i start to think that my problem wasn't FW related. I had the bike shut off, showing a % of 0 (was 37% 2 seconds before). Restarted the bike, made like 10 meter and the bike died again.Got "undefinited fault" on the screen, bike couldn't be restarted, screen still black and even the red led wasn't flashing.

Pushed it to my garage (i've done sports for 2023 and beyond i think), plugged it on the wall box, bike wasn't detected. Unplugged it and thought i ll get it towed this week (got some business trips before)

Yesterday i check the bike and saw the red immobilizer led flashing, turned the bike on. Battery percentage at 0%. I plug it and it start to charge. I planed a cell balancing but the bike couldn't charge past 57% and started balancing at 57% (...) I left it plugged for hours and still the bike doesn't charge above 57%. Didn't try to drive it, i think i ll get it towed instead.

All in all i think that my problem sounds more like a faulty battery pack instead of a FW issue. I ll have more info end of the week i think and will keep you posted."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:36:19 PM by Pard »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4