• September 22, 2024, 10:26:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Top Speed  (Read 1510 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Top Speed
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:11:10 AM »

On a Ribelle.  Would being in I guess it's called Urban mode, limit the bikes top speed?
Can you only 'limit out' in sport mode?

Throttle Maxxed in Urban mode, hit 108 and hard stopped.  Would profile affect your top end?  or having bags / other drag on the bike do it?  Speed was coming up pretty nice and just bink...stopped right there.  bike felt like it still had a lot more left under the hood and was NOT straining one bit to even get up there.

Asking for a friend.

aaron

PWM

• View Profile
Re: Top Speed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 05:21:12 AM »

Top end is firmware limited based on motor encoder feedback - 108 mph assumes GPS measured which sounds about 6 mph lower than typical, are tires worn?  Bike displays 124mph, yes?
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 05:50:07 AM »

No, bike is brand new, battery about 80 plus percent charged and that is what it showed on the bikes screen for speed.  I didn't look at GPS to see what it really was.

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »

Looking in my Ribelle manual page 67 top speed in Sport mode is 124.3 mph. In Eco mode, top speed is 55.9 mph. No other speed limitations are listed. Take 10% off those numbers for actual speed unless you are on Fw 42. I have bags on my Ribelle and can still hit those numbers. But these batteries do not like the cold at all. SOC also makes a big deal. You are not likely to get top speed when you are down to 80% SOC. My commute is 30 miles each way. Usually down to about 72% or so when I get to work. I do not have the acceleration or top speed on the way home that I do on the way to work. With my Ribelle in the shop trying to get the firmware updated I'm riding a loaner bike, an Ego RS and I am really not impressed with the ride home performance. Passing situations that are no problem in the morning can get really scary if you try them in the afternoon. And yes SOC and battery temp are a lot of what is causing that. Just my experience.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 12:16:35 AM »

Thank you for the reply.
and wow, I knew that SOC was a big factor but didn't think that the numbers listed would be 'ideal circumstances everything has to be perfect' numbers.  I figured they'd have a bit of wiggle room, especially when you consider the Ribellie is essentially the EGO with different seating and neutered top end, the power train is essentially the same so there should be some horsies waiting still you'd think?  I could see 40percent SOC yah you are a bit laggy but 70- 80 wow that soon?

Oh well,
Aaron

MoneyFor

• View Profile
    • My Current Bikes
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 06:41:23 PM »

Energica's advertised top speed is one big scam, because the speedometer shows 210 km/h, the limiter kicks in and since the speedo has a very large deviation, this means that your bike will reach a maximum of 180 to 185 km/h and not the promised 200 km/h. For this reason I had already noticed to load the Ego software on the Ribelle, but that is supposedly not possible. So as long as there is no serious hacker who wants to deal with it to be able to adjust this yourself, I'm afraid you have to accept it.
Click HERE here to see my current bikes.

My current bikes:

2003 - HD  Hugger
2016 - Honda GL 1800
2018 - HD  Fat Boy
2019 - HD  Street Bob
2020 - Energica Ribelle
2021 - KTM Superduke 1290R
2022 - HD Street Glide Special

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 04:50:21 AM »

The top speed of a Ribelle is reached in track mode. In urban mode it’s limited to around 110 mph or 178 km/h  on the speedo. Have had that multiple times.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 06:40:31 AM »

by track mode you mean sport mode correct?

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 07:00:31 AM »

Top speed on a Ribelle is 112 mph based on GPS. The speedo will show 125 mph but that 10% error rate sucks. What I am thinking with Fw42 which makes the speedo more accurate the top speed should increase. The speedo will still say 125 mph but the gps should read higher. Getting the new firmware on my Ribelle now. Lots of problems getting it installed and they had to replace the VCU to do it.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 07:03:45 AM »

10 percent error sounds like an awful lot.

in some places the speed limit is 80 mph,  doing 88, if the cop is an a hole, that can get you a ticket.  What is the DMV's rules or regulations as to what the tolerance of the speedometer is allowed to be.  Yes I know, ideally accurate but there has to be some standard somewhere saying max deviation.  Just curious what it is

Aaron

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »

Yes sport mode indeed. The speedo on my bike (and previous bike) over reports 12-13%. There is EU legislation which still tolerates this deviation, but I guess Energica finally listened after all complaints.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 08:37:34 PM »

10 percent error sounds like an awful lot.

in some places the speed limit is 80 mph,  doing 88, if the cop is an a hole, that can get you a ticket.  What is the DMV's rules or regulations as to what the tolerance of the speedometer is allowed to be.  Yes I know, ideally accurate but there has to be some standard somewhere saying max deviation.  Just curious what it is

Aaron

In the U.S. there doesn't appear to be any DOT motor vehicle regulation regarding the need for speedometers that have any kind of slop in their accuracy. As an example: My 2018 Zero S, my 2020 KTM Duke, my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and my 1998 Saturn station wagon all read 1 mph below the actual speed, according to the electronic speed check signs that I drive by. However, my two BMWs show an 8% discrepancy in speedometer accuracy. Meanwhile my Royal Enfield's mechanical speedometer varies between 5% and 10%, depending upon the speed that I am traveling. It became so confusing that I bought a small bicycle GPS speedometer and have that mounted on my handlebar to verify my speed - which is not all that fast, anyway.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 04:53:07 AM »

Hi,

had the same issue that speedometer showed 12-13% to much (showed 112km/h when doing real 100km/h by GPS).
Top speed was exactly 200 km/h by speedometer, this was real 178 km/h, don't recall if this was also possible on Urban mode, but on a track day a Zero SR/S was faster  >:(

My '22 Ribelle is since few weeks now on FW 042 after it had a "critical fault" which resulted in immediate shutdowns. Dealer picked the bike up and re-initialised with firmware update.
Now speedometer is off by 6-8%. The weather was not "autobahn-friendly" here in Munich since the upgrade to test real max speed with new FW 042. But I will try if it gets warmer.

For the annoying speedometer offset I installed already several months ago a Motogadget Motoscope Mini speedometer (with magnet and sensor on front wheel, powered by 12v from the USB input). The wheel circumference in the Motoscope setup is so adjusted that the speed is the same as on the GPS. I only drive by the Motoscope and don't look at the Eva's speedometer any longer, and don't have to calculate the real speed permanently resp. don't have to think how fast i can actually go for not speeding.

Jens
--
'22 Eva Ribelle
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:01:55 AM by EvaMuc »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 12:05:01 AM »

[/quote]

In the U.S. there doesn't appear to be any DOT motor vehicle regulation regarding the need for speedometers that have any kind of slop in their accuracy. As an example: My 2018 Zero S, my 2020 KTM Duke, my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and my 1998 Saturn station wagon all read 1 mph below the actual speed, according to the electronic speed check signs that I drive by. However, my two BMWs show an 8% discrepancy in speedometer accuracy. Meanwhile my Royal Enfield's mechanical speedometer varies between 5% and 10%, depending upon the speed that I am traveling. It became so confusing that I bought a small bicycle GPS speedometer and have that mounted on my handlebar to verify my speed - which is not all that fast, anyway.  ::)
[/quote]

FWIW, another issue sometimes is when you get a vehicle and change tires on it, the morons don't change the tire size in the electronics.  I got my new silverado and had bigger tires put on it, they did not change that (this something the dealer does as this menu is NOT normally available to us muggles) because of that my speed was consistantly off until i actually some years later, upon getting new tires, finally got them to fix the thing.

Aaron

EvaMuc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 04:19:39 AM »

My '22 Ribelle is since few weeks now on FW 042 after it had a "critical fault" which resulted in immediate shutdowns. Dealer picked the bike up and re-initialised with firmware update.
Now speedometer is off by 6-8%. The weather was not "autobahn-friendly" here in Munich since the upgrade to test real max speed with new FW 042. But I will try if it gets warmer.

Update: Ribelle with FW042 maxed out in Track mode on Autobahn at 198 km/h according to speedometer (conditions: 20 degree C, minimum wind, battery "green", ~70% SOC).
On GPS this was 183km/h, which is the current 7% offset I have between speedometer and real speed since update to FW042.
Still way off from the promised 200km/h >:(   There are even faster vans on the Autobahn ...

Note on legal situaton in Germany as i understand it: if max speed of vehicle is more than 5% lower than specified by the manufacturer, e.g. with the value in the registration documents, this is considered a "significant defect" and you can sue the manufacturer to fix this...

Best, Jens

--
'22 Eva Ribelle
Pages: [1] 2