• September 29, 2024, 10:31:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 4074 times)

wadejesu

• View Profile
Heated Grips
« on: January 28, 2023, 09:37:57 PM »

My Rib RS does not have heated grips, however the menu has a slot for heated grips, Level, on/off, manual switch on right hand control. wonder if I install the grips will they work? If dealer has to activate , can it be done remotely?

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 04:00:49 AM »

My Rib RS does not have heated grips, however the menu has a slot for heated grips, Level, on/off, manual switch on right hand control. wonder if I install the grips will they work? If dealer has to activate , can it be done remotely?

I was under the impression that the RS version came with heated grips as standard...?? Or am l mistaken..??

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 04:20:57 AM »

Im going through this right now with my 2023 ss9. After the hardware is installed It also needs to have a computer update to tell it they are there.
Joe

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 04:37:07 AM »

Would you be buying the grips made for the bike by the OEM or a aftermarket brand?

Aaron

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 05:31:38 AM »

I have the factory heated grips on my Ribelle and they don't get very hot, even on high. You might want to consider after market heated grips.

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 05:57:01 AM »

Interesting, Ive installed Koso on about 4 different bikes. Wonder how hard it is to do on my ss9. Im assuming its very different, wouldn't even know how to hook it to the "battery"

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 01:26:34 PM »

A few thoughts to that:
I went through hell re-fitting a 2021 Ribell (non RS) with factory grips afterwards. They connect to an ECU where also the illuminated „E“  - that one that lights up in configurable patterns during charging on top of the tank - connects to. Both are pin compatible but the harness insulation is all black. So, the dealer has to retract the insulation to actually identify the wire colors. My Ribelle had the carbon tank cover, so no illumination. The dealer was not aware, picked the wrong one, and BANG. This resulted in a four-weeks stay of my bike in Modena back in 2021 for troubleshooting and correction. So my strong advise if you decide to do this: Make your dealer aware!
Next, as posted the bikes VCU needs to be made aware of the heated grips.
Last not least, they really do not get too warm. Like probably a medium setting of aftermarket heated grips. Nowhere near like burning your fingers, what I have seen on highest settings with my BMW R1200GS or also with Daytona aftermarket grips.

Fitting aftermarket grips on a Ribelle/SS9/Evo, the 12V supply for the USB ports are fused 15A. Typical aftermarket grips draw 40-50W meaning they draw 50W/12V=4,1A, so there you have your power source as long as you do not use USB with heavy load in parallel.

The Experia as aux 12V supply separately fused with 15A.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 08:41:24 PM »

I can’t speak to installing heated grips since I ordered my Ribelle with them but I can backup the assessment that even on it’s highest setting it’s not very powerful. I would rate my Ribelle heated grips on the max setting to be about equivalent to my R1200RT’s grips on setting 2 (of 5). I always use a pair of Gerbing battery powered gloves to supplement the Ribelle’s heated grips if needed.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 10:48:58 PM »

Totally agree with the statement about the original heating being weak!

So, after the warranty of my bike expires next year, I will replace it for sure.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 03:19:08 AM »

If you're going to install heated grips on the Ribelle see if you can get some barkbusters or similar to keep the cold airstream off your hands otherwise there's basicly no point.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

SHAG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 07:39:09 AM »

If you're going to install heated grips on the Ribelle see if you can get some barkbusters or similar to keep the cold airstream off your hands otherwise there's basicly no point.

These work great but require handguards https://obradvgear.com/enduro-grip-mitt/
2022 FXE
BMW F750-GS
Yamaha X-Max
Lectric XP 2.0

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 02:57:59 PM »

In the bikes menu is the heated grip option selectable? On bikes without heated grips this menu option is greyed out. If you can access the sub menu to select power level your bike has the feature enabled and only requires installing the grips and related wiring.
Alternatively aftermarket heated grips can be added. You would just need to provide them with 12v (switched) power. Most people use a Y splitter to tap into the 12v supply for the USB port.

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 06:46:30 PM »

Really?? that would be awesome. A few salesmen and I spent 20 mins at the dealer before I left, moving it from low-medium-high and never seemed to work. So I do have the ability to change the temp settings in the menus. Maybe I dont need a software update, just the hardware.
Thank you for that info.
Joe

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 07:18:42 PM »

Same here, My menu acts like it has heated grips, but no heat. too bad someone from Energica couldn't chime in here.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:16 PM »

Demoni, Energica Service Manager, who posted above, is from Energica
Pages: [1] 2 3 4