• September 24, 2024, 06:32:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some nice press for Energica...  (Read 1395 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Some nice press for Energica...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 07:20:39 AM »

In my one and only college computer class I had to learn how to program using punch cards on an IBM mainframe computer using a programing language. Was it FORTRAN? I can't quite recall. I was not very good at it as I always made at least one punch card mistake and I could never discover what I did wrong.  :-[
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »

In my one and only college computer class I had to learn how to program using punch cards on an IBM mainframe computer using a programing language. Was it FORTRAN? I can't quite recall. I was not very good at it as I always made at least one punch card mistake and I could never discover what I did wrong.  :-[

Fortran, Basic, Cobol, Pasqual  were the main languages of the day.   Ah yes the old IBM mainframe, which was their competition to the digital PDP  11 series'

Punch cards were SOOO fun, especially if you got them out of sequence.  They guy next to you being a jerk?  knock his stack of cards over :D

Aaron

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »

Fortran, Basic, Cobol, Pasqual  were the main languages of the day.   Ah yes the old IBM mainframe, which was their competition to the digital PDP  11 series'

Punch cards were SOOO fun, especially if you got them out of sequence.  They guy next to you being a jerk?  knock his stack of cards over :D

Aaron
Pascal, not "Pasqual" (named after the French mathematician).
And it was never a main language, but a language developed for teaching programming, and purposely limited because of that. All the commercial versions needed lots of additions to make it remotely useful. Virtually no commercial SW was ever written in it.
And DEC's PDP series were all minicomputers, not competition in any way, shape or form to IBM mainframe "big iron" (the S/360 and descendants).

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »

I think many people here can afford to own 2 motorcycles, and in fact do.
And did you stop and think why that is?
Virtually only in the US, where you primarily use motorcycles as toys, not transportation. And it's telling that virtually noone in the Forum owns an e-motorcycle without also a garageful of ICE bikes... When e-motorcycle repairs commonly take months, that's a necessity.

If you got 20 to 30k for an e bike, you can throw a little extra chum in the water for a gas bike too if you must.
If you are one of these folks who buys the e bike and has to eat ramen noodles 4 times a week to be able to afford it, well, that's on you.
Ah, yes, more entitled American exceptionalism.
Base price for an Experia is $38K here, in a country where average salaries are 30% lower than in the US and taxation far higher.

Same way with bikes, they are getting better and better every year.  No they may not be able to 'this and that' quite yet, but there are many things they CAN do and do well.
What can they do except commuting, pray tell?
No e-motorcycle can do any kind of road trip yet, as I outlined. Not together with gas bikes. Otherwise, why of you think no large manufacturers have gotten into the act yet (the H-D is a sales joke because charging ability and price)? The largest e-motorcycle vendor, Zero, is still a startup selling in the low 4 digits per year, globally.
Those sales numbers are no accident

But GEE, it doesn't have a crappucino machine in the left pannier that lets me pour myself a double crappa cappa mocha pooftie mooker to go with my olive toast.  (Im working on that !!! )  :o ::)
Right back at you, asshole.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 01:08:20 PM »

PLEASE GUYS! DON'T MAKE THIS FORUM TOXIC!

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 02:11:56 PM »

Play nice please ladies..!! ;)

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2023, 03:40:23 PM »

I continued riding with my group in Germany after I bought an Energica. We are 2 Energicas in the group. Charging we plan carfully at coffee/lunch stops and riding highway we do alone. With the 13.4 battery it was just manageable. Consumption on twisties is quite ok, but long straights were painful.

Now with: 1. increased charging network and 2. the EMCE Ribelle with 21,5 battery, the leverage is double. Also more multiple (EnBW, Ionity, Fastned) CCS stations appear in Germany and if needs be, Autobahn stations can be approached via the back road.

In my group we never rode 650km collectively in one day, as some drivers barely made 300km twisties/hairpins without mistakes in the end of the day.

So that said, on topic, nice news for Energica, good press,  but they still urgently need to work on improving their software. This morning I accidentally flipped the kill switch and couldn't reactivate the bike while driving, because "Key not in range". I had to stop on the narrow shoulder lane. Just an example.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 05:58:01 PM »

So that said, on topic, nice news for Energica, good press,  but they still urgently need to work on improving their software. This morning I accidentally flipped the kill switch and couldn't reactivate the bike while driving, because "Key not in range". I had to stop on the narrow shoulder lane. Just an example.

Hello fellow German, where are you located? NRW here  8)

Your problem with the kill switch I know too well, in my case it was clumislly reaching for the cruise control button with thick gloves. No restart possible without stopping first. Quite dangerous!
Or maybe this is why it's called kill switch  ::)

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2023, 06:49:58 PM »

Hello fellow German, where are you located? NRW here  8)

Your problem with the kill switch I know too well, in my case it was clumislly reaching for the cruise control button with thick gloves. No restart possible without stopping first. Quite dangerous!
Or maybe this is why it's called kill switch  ::)

I'm from the Netherlands, Leiden area,  but Germany and Luxemburg are favourite places to ride. Last year September it was NRW actually, charged in Lieschensruh, Bad Fredeburg and Finnentrop. Exactly the situation with the CC and winter gloves indeed.

2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2023, 08:19:30 PM »

PLEASE GUYS! DON'T MAKE THIS FORUM TOXIC!

absolutely agree with this statement.  No need to start personal attacks because someone dared disagree with ones opinion.

Aaron

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2023, 08:26:20 PM »

THIS right here.  What even IS Key in range to them?  does it have to be an inch from the button, 6 inches, how far?  I have had similar instances where I am doing something and that message comes up and im like, it's in my pocket, 6 inches from the stupid sensor FFS!  If they want to be that anal about it, how about putting a fake key hole in the button or something so we can put it 'in range' ... at which point, whats the point of keyless anymore?

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2023, 08:36:27 PM »

Yesterday I had just started up my BMW R1200RS with its keyless starting, locking and gas cap opening  ::)  system. As it was idling, I walked away from the bike and when I returned I noticed that a yellow warning light was on the dash. As I got closer, the light went off. So I assume that light indicated that the key fob was out of range. That key fob sensing distance on my BMW would appear to be about three feet.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 08:42:03 PM »

I didn't look that closely to see if any other warnings came up when the key is not around.  Still very new with the bike and learning where all the goodies and stuffzz is at in the menu's etc.

This does sound like something I really should check out though, play around and see if I can figure out what is the range on fob sensing.  Im pretty sure a lot of stuff can affect it's range too, but we'll see here soon nuff!

Aaron

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 03:02:33 AM »

I have one other bike in my garage and it's done *maybe* 100 miles since I got my Ribelle a little over a year ago. I have in fact just agreed to sell it to a friend so I'll be 100% electric now.

I'm past range anxiety and into range confidence. I've gone out on rides with friends, toured around Europe, done alpine passes with a 100 litre bag strapped transverse on the seat, rode in the dead of winter and the height of summer, had screaming sessions at broken chargers in Germany, cursed my idiocy for scheduling a long autobahn haul, ... I could go on. Suffice to say after a hair under 10,000 miles my opinion is the range is "enough". Could be better, but it does the job, I'll take faster *more consistent* charging over more range.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 05:54:59 AM »

Hence my choice of SR/F with charge tank ;) Though if I could afford a Ribelle I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

Cas :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3